Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Confirmed changes to KLM Flying Blue American Express cards [The Netherlands]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed changes to KLM Flying Blue American Express cards [The Netherlands]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Where does it say this? I believe the platinum level refers to the platinum Amex card, and not so much the FB level?
https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...0037b3ad94RCRD
For the plat card, the minimal gross annual income has to be E60k.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:01 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Waiving of fee: only for Silver card

For the card members that have their fee waived, the fee will only be waived for the Silver version and not for the Gold and Platinum version.

I presume their reason for this is the same as with the old Plus Option, as they did not used to waive the fee irrespective of spending pattern as the fee compensates the insurance offered.

If you do not make a choice between now and November you will automatically receive the Silver card. If you have had your fee waived under the old regime you are requested to contact American Express to discuss your situation.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The post has arrived here in Amsterdam. All the details including several pages of fine print. I'll wait to til someone better than I at Dutch translates the details.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So when we are all set back to the silver card, does this mean we will also get the welcome bonus? In that case the gold card must be the most interesting option for most people who are gonna stay - 20K miles for under 140 euro is quite a steal!

Also in the past I have been able to get part of the fees for the Plus card waived. Not the added extra fee, bus the base fees should be eligible for a discount.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
So when we are all set back to the silver card, does this mean we will also get the welcome bonus? In that case the gold card must be the most interesting option for most people who are gonna stay - 20K miles for under 140 euro is quite a steal!
In case it wasn't stated above, if you were Plus, you will now be automatically enrolled in Gold. And if you were not Plus, you will be automatically enrolled in Silver. But I can't tell from the fine print if existing Plus members will get the 20K miles or if that is only for new members.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:40 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Gajan
Was it easy to get the German bank account?
Depends. I still have a few old ones because I lived in Germany before moving to the Netherlands.

But generally, there should be enough "Direktbanken" which will allow you to open an account.

Depending on what transition phase they come up with it seems very likely we will be giving up this card and getting a LH card (again).
Yes, I am very interested myself in the transition.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by stimpy
In case it wasn't stated above, if you were Plus, you will now be automatically enrolled in Gold. And if you were not Plus, you will be automatically enrolled in Silver. But I can't tell from the fine print if existing Plus members will get the 20K miles or if that is only for new members.
I asked yesterday and AMEX told that people who get Silver and go to the Gold card, get a 10.000 bonus (instead of the 20.000 for new members). I told them I didn't think that was enought, due to the fact that they aren't upholding there end of the deal that I get 2 miles per Euro spend for the year are spend more then 12K (which would be until june of 2012).

The told me yesterday they would call back. haven't heard anything, maybe I should call them back
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: FB, MR Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
The told me yesterday they would call back. haven't heard anything, maybe I should call them back
I think you should!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Baseleg79
I think you should!
So I did!

The manager of the person I spoke to has a day off. There going to call back tomorrow with a special offer. They will look at my spending, time of payment for the year and until when I should have gotten 2 miles per euro spend.

Looking forward to that call!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
answer to a question ertaiing to the new FB Amex cards on Facebook

"For our customers who have a combined FB-AMEX card now, Flying Blue and American Express have developed three new payment cards. These new cards give the customer the option to select the card that best suits him. With these new cards some benefits are new and some benefits will change. It’s true that the accrual scheme has been amended and will work in a slightly different manner. Some members will benefit from these changes, others less so. The number of Award Miles earned for each Euro you spend will now vary according to the credit card you have chosen. There are also new benefits. To compare all cards and there benefits, please have a look at: www.americanexpress.nl/klm (Dutch only) or www.klm.nl/flyingblueamericanexpress
33 minutes ago · LikeUnlike" [emphasis mine]

I wonder who are the existing card holders who will benefir from the changes in miles accrual. I cannot think of any such customers... only if you combine these changes with additional level segments and you depend on level segment qualification. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by ajs123

I wonder who are the existing card holders who will benefir from the changes in miles accrual. I cannot think of any such customers... only if you combine these changes with additional level segments and you depend on level segment qualification. Any thoughts?
Its simple
Customers who have the "old" card and spend less < € 5000 get now 1 mile per €. If the take the new platinumcard they will get 1,5 mile per €.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by ajs123
answer to a question ertaiing to the new FB Amex cards on Facebook
Which Facebook page? KLm or Amex? I havent seen any on the KLM one...

Might be worth all of us with FB accounts to post our dislike to the changes on their FB page - they seem to take more notice of that - esp as it is run by the marketing people.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:01 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I called them as well and asked some random questions that were interesting to me personally. Maybe it will clear up some things for more people here.

My old Plus card expires October. The new cards arrive November. they cannot issue the new cards before November, even in my situation or for new members. meaning they will renew my Plus card until the new ones arrive.

When you share status with one or more people that will stop working unless you get a Platinum card. You will get a card from FB that is valid until March 2013 but only if under the new scheme you give out/keep the extra card. How much of that is true I don't know, because I expect that if you cancel after the change you will keep the status (as Amex doesn't have a relation with FB any more in regards of changing people's status).

If you wanna get the Plat card you will have to be FB platinum AND earn E60K per year.

When you switch to the suggested new card you will not get the welcoming bonus. You will however receive the extra segments when you switch AND when you renew. So if you switch in November and are due for renewal in December you get the segments twice this year.

While with the old cards it used to be possible to get the yearly fee waived, or a discount, this is no longer possible in any way.

With the miles-exchange function you can move miles between FB accounts of yourself and people that you give out extra card(s) to. You can pretty much give out unlimited extra cards.

Anyway those are the items I asked about. For me I will maybe keep the silver card for one more year, just to make sure my gf will keep status until 2013. Also it allows me to move the miles that she collected into my account - she doesn't fly enough to actually use them for something else.

After one year I will most probably cancel altogether. The gold card hardly offers anything extra of value over the silver card, and the silver card isn't really worth it if you spend less than E10K per year. At least this is the case for me as I qualify on segments with my normal flying pattern anyway. Only when spending 10K euros you will receive roughly the equivalent of the yearly fees back through miles.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon

If you wanna get the Plat card you will have to be FB platinum AND earn E60K per year.
Strange, the Amex website doesn't mention that one has to be FB platinum to apply for the Amex platinum. Beeing FB member should do it.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by tgv2
Strange, the Amex website doesn't mention that one has to be FB platinum to apply for the Amex platinum. Beeing FB member should do it.
It seems to mention it in the paper material I received today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.