Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:21 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by chrissxb
"toutes les familles attendant des passagers du vol AF 447 en provenance de Rio de Janeiro sont priés de contacter le personnel d'Air France"

must be terrible to get this kind of message when you're waiting for someone at the airport. they showed AF staff and passengers on TV while this message was made at CDG 2E ...
That would be possibly my worst nightmare.

Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy
...no one even knows what "something like this" IS at this point.
For all we know, they could've diverted to western Africa, and not been able to make their presence aware internationally yet, as not all airports in that area are at full comms on a 24hr basis.

Not necessarily. Contact was lost by Brazil, but keep in mind, that aircraft could've well been up to 7hrs into an almost 12hr flight, based on how radar exists over the lower central Atlantic.
According to the BBC:

Brazilian air force spokesman Col Henry Munhoz told Brazilian TV it had failed to be picked up by radar on the Cape Verde Islands on its way across the Atlantic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8076848.stm
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
It is now reported that last known contact with the AC was 330 km off the Brazilian coast. This does not sound good at all.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
This is very bad news indeed.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
I fly that route two or three times a year ... there is almost always turbulence off of Recife on the way back to Paris ... in the A330 you really can feel it at times.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by SASDC8
It is now reported that last known contact with the AC was 330 km off the Brazilian coast. This does not sound good at all.
What I don't understand is how this could have been unknown to the authorities for so long...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:28 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
http://www.canada.com/news/world/Mis...790/story.html

They are now saying that it would be out of fuel if still flying. very sad day
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Official announcement on AF internet site:

Paris, 01 juin 2009 - 13h14 heure locale

Premier communiqué
Air France a le regret d’annoncer être sans nouvelle du vol AF 447 effectuant la liaison Rio de Janeiro – Paris-Charles de Gaulle, arrivée prévue ce matin à 11h15 locales.

Le vol a quitté Rio le 31 mai à 19 heures locales.

216 passagers sont à bords.

L’équipage est composé de 12 navigants : 3 navigants techniques et 9 navigants commerciaux.

Un numéro vert est ouvert au 0800 800 812 pour la France,

et + 33 1 57 02 10 55 pour l’étranger.

Air France partage l’émotion et l’inquiétude des familles concernées. Les proches sont reçus dans un endroit spécialement réservé à l’aérogare de Paris-Charles de Gaulle 2.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:32 am

Programs: QFM Life
Originally Posted by ajax
What I don't understand is how this could have been unknown to the authorities for so long...
As I understand it, they knew immediately when it wasn't picked up on radar at the Cape Verde Islands and mobilised then.

They just didn't tell the media immediately.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:34 am

Post From brazil

-- I am Brazilian and the news here is that the Brazilian navy didn’t start the search until 40 minutes ago ..the knew it about it but they were waiting for the sun resing to start the search ..How dumm is that

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 1, 2009 at 5:38 am Reason: quote clauses added for clarity
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Unhappy

My prayers go out to passengers and families.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by James S
Contact was apparently lost at 220 GMT after reports of turbulence and the plane was scheduled to leave at 7pm in GIG which is 2200 GMT, so four hours or so into the flight would put it off the northeast coast of Brazil.
According to France Info it disappeared from the radars 3:15hrs before expected arrival time... So according to this, it should be closer to the coast of Africa...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by viananz
Quote:

-- I am Brazilian and the news here is that the Brazilian navy didn’t start the search until 40 minutes ago ..the knew it about it but they were waiting for the sun resing to start the search ..How dumm is that
Have they not heard of Night Vision/IR in Brazil???
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by andre1970
According to France Info it disappeared from the radars 3:15hrs before expected arrival time... So according to this, it should be closer to the coast of Africa...
http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...44327420090601

RIO DE JANEIRO, June 1 (Reuters) - An Air France jet missing with 228 people on board disappeared from Brazilian radar at around 10.30 p.m. local time (0130 GMT) on Sunday after about three to 3 1/2 hours of flight, a government source told Reuters on Monday.
That flying time would mean controllers lost track of the plane while it was relatively close to Brazil, rather than nearer its destination in France.

(Reporting by Pedro Fonseca, Writing by Stuart Grudgings)
reuters is reporting 3-3.5 hours into the flight
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by andre1970
3h30 local time paris - that's not too far after take off and still long time to go until expected arrival at 11h30am at CDG
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:41 am

Imagine the AF insurance now. 3 planes 12 years.

An African carrier would be proud of that crash rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.