AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
france2 TV reports that pilot informed ATC about very heavy turbulences at 3h30 this morning before communication was interrupted ...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:03 am

Post Af 447 brazilian video

VIDEO FROM THE BRAZILIAN NEWS NETWORK

http://g1.globo.com/Noticias/Mundo/0...8-5602,00.html
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:04 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Instead of searching off the coast of Brazil, shouldn't they be looking more towards off Dakar ?
Agency reports indicate that contact was lost not too long after take off so still within the area of Brazil.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by viananz
Brazilian tv globo --- is reporting that the brazilain navy has sent a group to search...for the af 447...
Welcome to FT viananz! ...even if this is a sad thread as a first post.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by JALPak
They probably forgot to count the pilots in the original count

It is very unusual for a modern airplane to disappear without any sort of warnings. If it is some kind of malfunctions, there should be at least some sort of mayday call
Unless of course the transponder was turned off intentionally and flown below radar...Pure speculation on my part but that could even be a better outcome then the other one..
-Howie
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
Sitting in the Biz Elite lounge in JFK just arrived from amman and watching it on CNN. We had some severe turbulance the last few hours of the flight causing inflight service to be stopped. The entire flight was a bumpy one, thought I was flying over the pacific.

My prayers are with the loved ones of the Pax onboard. Must be terrible to have no real report on the situation.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy
F-GZCP is the specific ship in question.
Picture taken about two weeks ago.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:10 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Flying Blue Platinum, Executive Club nobody, Hilton Gold, Sol Melia MAS Gold
It seems the worst, as the plane was missing for several hours before any search began and before AF ops was notified. Seems amazing to me that the responsible ATC over the south atlantic would not have launched search and rescue mission sooner. It waiting almost until the plane was to arrive in CDG, very sad news indeed.

For someone who takes transatlantic AF trips a few times per month, news like this always makes me especially nervous.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:12 am

Af 447 - fernado de noronha island

The think that the a330 has crashed near fernando de noronha island ....
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I am in disbelief AF operations and local authorities were not not notified earlier of the missing ac. It's normal to be off ATC contact for some of the time in a transatlantic flight but as far as I can see they're conducting a search still in ATC coverage? Fingers crossed for all involved.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
"toutes les familles attendant des passagers du vol AF 447 en provenance de Rio de Janeiro sont priés de contacter le personnel d'Air France"

must be terrible to get this kind of message when you're waiting for someone at the airport. they showed AF staff and passengers on TV while this message was made at CDG 2E ...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Awful news puzzled to as what could make something like this happen.
...no one even knows what "something like this" IS at this point.
For all we know, they could've diverted to western Africa, and not been able to make their presence aware internationally yet, as not all airports in that area are at full comms on a 24hr basis.

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Agency reports indicate that contact was lost not too long after take off so still within the area of Brazil.
Not necessarily. Contact was lost by Brazil, but keep in mind, that aircraft could've well been up to 7hrs into an almost 12hr flight, based on how radar exists over the lower central Atlantic.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:19 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by robin.goodman
...........For someone who takes transatlantic AF trips a few times per month, news like this always makes me especially nervous.
Or indeed any of us who cross the Atlantic regularly, regardless of Airline. I just got back yesterday from a couple of jaunts over the pond.

Very sad news & troubling news indeed

My heart goes out to those who had friends & family onboard
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Contact was apparently lost at 220 GMT after reports of turbulence and the plane was scheduled to leave at 7pm in GIG which is 2200 GMT, so four hours or so into the flight would put it off the northeast coast of Brazil.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.