Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Air France is currently preparing a list by nationality "of the passengers of flight AF 447, which disappeared early Monday off the coast of Brazil between Rio de Janeiro to Paris," said a source close to the Air France direction.

"The list of victims can not be communicated. We have no right to communicate, only the national authorities (French and Brazilian) can do it", added on the same source.

"We are consolidating the list by nationality, but we will not share any passenger list for legal reasons, insisted on adding that" the whole company is now focused on assistance to families in Paris and Brazil. Support will be provided by "Air France staff specially trained, psychologists and volunteers who speak Brazilian Portuguese."

source: Le Nouvel Observateur
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
My condolences to all involved.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 1, 2009 at 9:22 am Reason: reference to offensive post removed
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Is this the first fatal crash for the A330?
Although, I fear, it is increasingly unlikely, there is still an outside chance that this was not fatal. After all, disabled planes can crash-land on water with good survival rates (remember the recent incident at JFK/ditching in river).
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by KRSW
Could someone with in-depth technical knowledge on Airbus aircraft provide some detail on what provisions are designed into the aircraft to handle lightning/surges and the avionics? Also, how do the fly-by-wire systems on these aircraft work? What redundancy is available?
Supposedly if the FBW joystick controls go, the backup is using the trim wheels.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the grieving families.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:07 am

Unhappy Pourquoi...

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Eight children, including an infant, were among the 228 passengers who were on board the Air France Airbus A330 which disappeared Monday between Brazil and France, Air France said in a statement.

"Among the 216 passengers, there were 126 men, 82 women, 7 children and a baby, "said Air France

source: Le Point
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Is this the first fatal crash for the A330?
In commercial service. One crashed around TLS many years back. The a/c was being flown for predelivery flights and had Airbus crew and a flight crew from a prospective customer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A330_test_flight_crash
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Here on the telly in BKK, Richard Quest of CNN International is reporting a statement from the Brazilian Air Force indicating a report of "loss of pressure" from the "automated system" aboard the plane (presumably ACARS).

This is said to be in addition to the reports of turbulence and a short circuit in the electrics. The implication of the story is loss of cabin pressure, though I know how the media can get things wrong, especially when translating technical material from other languages is involved.

Last edited by Sierra Kilo; Jun 1, 2009 at 9:45 am
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
A lighting strike on a metal bird simply gets conducted through the airplane. Basically the aircraft is just part of the path as the lighting passes through it.

On composite planes this is much different. Composite does not conduct electricity therefore a metal mesh is installed to allow the same conductivity of a metal plane. During tests of just straight composite material, holes are blown out by an electrical strike.

http://www.lightningtech.com/d~ta/faq1.html
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Hopefully, NSA, Pentagon, NASA and Russian satellites have joined the operation by now??
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
A BNP Paribas spokesman denied the rumor citing the presence of some top management members of the bank on the Air France plane which disappeared over the Atlantic.

"We certify that no member of the top management of BNP Paribas was in the plane which disappeared," said a spokeswoman for the bank.

"Neither Michel Pébereau, Chairman of the Board of Directors of BNP Paribas, and Baudouin Prot, the CEO, were on this plane," said the spokeswoman for the bank.

source: Le Nouvel Oberservateur
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Henry III
Although, I fear, it is increasingly unlikely, there is still an outside chance that this was not fatal. After all, disabled planes can crash-land on water with good survival rates (remember the recent incident at JFK/ditching in river).
It was LGA and they had the luxury of landing on the relatively placid Hudson River. Landing on open water where there is motion on the surface is a MUCH riskier proposition and much less likely to happen successfully. The plane on the Hudson also had the advantage of full operations of their systems, other than the engines. At this point it sounds like the reason this plane went down is because they didn't have control of those systems.

Truly a sad day in the aviation world.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Just hopes that the electrical failure is isolated only to its communications system.. And that every1 of the 228 passengers are safe and sound wherever they are..

If the worst comes, then I could only offer my most sincere condolences for the loss of all family members of those of the passengers onboard..
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A majority of Brazilians, at least 40 Frenchs and 20 Germans were among the passengers on the Airbus A330 disappeared Monday between Rio de Janeiro and Paris, said the French Minister for Transport, Jean-Louis Borloo.

"There is a majority of Brazilians, between 40 and 60 French, 25 Germans and on issues identified at this time," said to the AFP Mr Borloo.

Six Danish, five Italians, three Moroccans and two Lebanese were also among the passengers, according to various sources. British Prime Minister Gordon Brown expressed his fear that some British passengers were also in the plane

source: Le Point
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Arrow

Originally Posted by nicolas75
"Neither Michel Pébereau, Chairman of the Board of Directors of BNP Paribas, and Baudouin Prot, the CEO, were on this plane," said the spokeswoman for the bank.

source: Le Nouvel Oberservateur
I highly doubt that BNP Paribas flies their 2 highest executives on commercial liners.

It's private jets every time, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.