Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N515CR
This wikipost presents an updated summary of AF plans for retrofitting the long-haul fleet with new J (and W) seats. For more details, please refer to the thread below

Last update on 23 APR 2024

B772
21 planes. All B772 are already retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat). A refit programme is underway to standardise the 772 fleet with a 28J 32W 268M configuration, with refits expected to be complete before summer 2024.
- Seating config 1: C28W32Y268
- Seating config 2: C28W24Y260
- Seating config 3: C40W32Y216

B77W
Version with P (19 planes out of 43 77W): 19/19 completed (F-GSQA, F-GSQB, F-GSQC, F-GSQF, F-GSQG, F-GSQH, F-GSQI, F-GSQJ, F-GSQK, F-GSQL, F-GSQM, F-GSQU, F-GSQV, F-GSQY, F-GZNA, F-GZNB, F-GZNC, F-GZND, and F-GZNE)
- They are already all retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat).
- Seating config: F4C58W28Y206

COI version (14J) (12 planes out of 43 B77W): all retrofitted (F-GSQO, F-GSQP, F-GSQT, F-GSQX, F-GZNG. F-GSQS, F-GZNF, F-GSQR, F-GSQN, F-GZNO, F-GZNL and F-GZNN).
- The J seat is Zodiac Optima (same as chosen for the A350), similar to the UA Polaris seat. The config is 1-2-1 and total 14J.
- The W seat is the same as in the B789.
- Seating config: C14W32Y422

Remaining 77W (the 12 planes in NEV4 "loisirs" config (42J)): 10/12 completed (F-GZNK, F-GZNP, F-GZNQ, F-GZNS, F-GZNT, F-GZNI, F-GZNR, F-GZNU, F-GZNJ, and F-GZNH)
- The new seat will be a slightly improved version of the BEST seat, with a door for privacy.
- Retrofits started in March 2022 and were projected to finish by the end of 2023, but they are late.
- Aircraft in retrofit: F-GSQD (arrived @ ORY 28 Feb), F-GSQE (arrived @ ORY 19 Apr)
- Seating config: C48W48Y273
- Old config: C42W24Y315

B789
- Direct deliveries with BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat, slightly smaller than the 777 one, due to fuselage width limitation).
- Ten planes have been delivered to AF (F-HRBA to F-HRBJ).
- AF initially ordered 15 B789, with the remaining to go to KL.
- Seating config: C30W21Y228

A332
- 15 planes. Retrofitted in 2-2-2 with the Stelia Equinoxe seat. A similar seat can be seen in the UX B787. Also, the W seats are the same as the B789.
- More info on A332 retrofit can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-retrofit.html
- Since October 2020, all aircraft have the new cabin.
- Seating config: C36W21Y167

A343
Update 01/2020: Only 4 planes remaining (in Joon livery & interiors : F-GLZK/N/O/P). They will leave the fleet between 03/3020 and end 2021.
All retired per ch-aviation.

A359
- Overall, AF will have 38 A359. 22 planes have been delivered as of 22/09/2023:
First batch (20): F-HTYA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R/S/T
- Direct delivery with Zodiac Optima, similar to UA Polaris seat (see above B777 COI). Config 1-2-1.
- The W seat is a Recaro recliner seat.
- All the A359 ordered for both AF & KL are finally going to AF (while KL will receive all the B789 remaining to be delivered on the AF sub-order).
- As per an information post by frausflyer , the 20th A350 (likely F-HTYT) to be delivered to AF will have a P cabin. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33283076-post467.html. However, this eventually did not happen, and F-HTYT has the same cabin as the 19 aircraft that preceded it.
- Seating config: C34W24Y266

Second batch (7/18): F-HUVA/B/C/D/E/F/G
- The 21st A359 (F-HUVA) has the new 48J cabin with small differences compared to the B77W one. According to Aerolopa, it and 17 A350s to follow will not have P.
- Seating config: C48W32Y212

A388
All A380 will leave the fleet by 2022 and so, will not be retrofitted with new seats. F-HPJB is the 1st to leave the fleet : it has been returned to the lessor in January 2020.
All retired June 26 2020 due to COVID-19.

Print Wikipost

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The A340 has started to leave AF fleet progressively since 2 years, so there is no plan to renovate the seats. Recently, in link with Joon launch, it's been announced that Joon will get some of those old A340 and will have new seats in Y and W but will keep the current J seat (although with new IFE).

So, A340 is indeed NEV4, which is a slightly angled seat. Never had any problem to sleep in. In this plane the config is 2-2-2.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
Merci ! Good to know; wished AF moved faster but like you said.....those damn accountants....
It's not the accountant.
AF is extremely short ton cash and the debt level is worrisome and has to be reduced.

When the cash transaction with DL/VS/MU will close, AF will have cash available. Hopefuly that will relax the budget constraint. Whether they are ready to take two planes out of service simultaneously (like other airlines did) is another question.

AND MANY THANKS Goldorak.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:11 am

"NEV4" seats are pretty much flat, just not completely horizontal, and I echo @Goldorak comment, never had any troubles sleeping in either NEV4 or even the older NEV3s
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Any information about AF 343 J seating today, i.e. in 2017? FYI, I'm quite slim but very tall (2m) ...
May I add that I'm also slim and almost 2m tall. Whilst NEV4 is indeed just not really flat, I sleep very well on it. In my experience they provide a more comfortable sleep for tall people than for example SQ,s fabled J seat. Having said that, they are underwhelming and outdated from a "lounging" point of view.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that really the proper place for the Nth discussion (N>50) of the benefits/disadvantages of NEV? Personally I dislike NEV4 with its 15+ degree angle, the restricted personal space, which should be a benefit of angled seats, the difficulty of climbing over neighbor when sitting in windows or middle seat.

Last edited by brunos; Aug 14, 2017 at 5:06 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Thanks a lot, Goldorak, Ditto and zembla. That's the information I needed, much appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak

Dear FTers

I hope you will find those information useful.
The best news: this post. Thanks Goldorak! ^^

The good news: the fact that most planes will have a J class better than NEV.

The bad news, but expected: it takes them ridiculously long to reconfigure their fleet. Is there any airline that has taken longer? It speaks volumes abou the real financial strength of AFKL, it's actually not great, they don't even have money to reconfigure their fleet.

The other bad news, also expected: there is no aircraft type in reconfiguration right now. Time wasted.

The bad news, which comes as a suprise: 2-2-2 on the A330?? Ouch! And I don't get that "economic viability of the routes where the A330 flies" argument. If a route cannot be operated profitably by AF mainline, why doesn't FMA France Millenials Airlines (aka JOON) pick it up? I thought that is why Air Sillyname was created?? In any case, if they pull the A330 from destinations like New York, Chicago and Rio de Janeiro and leave it to Africa (shorter flight times, less competition), then fair enough. Very selfish, I know

Originally Posted by swiss_global
I'm not flying AF usually, so apologies if I'm asking what everybody knows ...

I struggle to find information about J class on the A340-300. This bird is not listed in this thread and the latest information I can find is about "NEV4" being installed ... Now, I don't know what NEV4 is, but it seems to be an old angled flat seat, right? If so, are there any plans for replacing them? I've not flown on an angled flat seat for certainly two or three years, but my memories are not really positive ...

Any information about AF 343 J seating today, i.e. in 2017? FYI, I'm quite slim but very tall (2m) ...
As far as I know all A340 have NEV4 seats.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Aug 14, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Is that really the proper place for the Nth discussion (N>50) of the benefits/disadvantages of NEV? Personally I dislike NEV4 with its 15+ degree angle, the restricted personal space, which should be a benefit of angled seats, the difficulty of climbing over neighbor when sitting in windows or middle seat.
Yes it is time to bump N once more. I always have to add that DeltaOne 767 seat > NEV4
joyu12 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Looks like SFO is getting more BEST seats!

I have a CDG - SFO flight this Dec and was booked on the 777-300 with 2-3-2 NEV4 seating. For the past year, I've been tracking the deployment schedule of the new cabins. Ultimately, I decided the nonstop over-rode other considerations and booked it. Enough people here said the NEV4 was fine for lounging and this wasn't an overnight.

Based on all the updates here about the 777-300 fleet retro-fit being done and the NEV4 configuration being assigned to SFO, my only chance to experience the new seats would be equipment substitution. Which didn't look like it happened often.

Yesterday, I went to check flights for next summer and noticed the additional summer flight was showing 777-200 with Best. Primary flight was the A380. But that's different than this past summer where they've used an A380 and a 777-300 with NEV4. I then checked my Dec flight and sure enough, our seat maps had been changed to 1-2-1 on a retro-fitted 777-300 with La Premiere.

I checked the 3 days before and after and they're all showing BEST. When I went back to check next summer, it showed 6 days a week in July with BEST config and just one day a week with NEV4.

I only had time to check the one week in Dec and the one week in July next year but certainly looks like they've deployed new config to SFO. At least for that time period.
SFCav likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by th14
Looks like SFO is getting more BEST seats!

I have a CDG - SFO flight this Dec and was booked on the 777-300 with 2-3-2 NEV4 seating. For the past year, I've been tracking the deployment schedule of the new cabins. Ultimately, I decided the nonstop over-rode other considerations and booked it. Enough people here said the NEV4 was fine for lounging and this wasn't an overnight.

Based on all the updates here about the 777-300 fleet retro-fit being done and the NEV4 configuration being assigned to SFO, my only chance to experience the new seats would be equipment substitution. Which didn't look like it happened often.

Yesterday, I went to check flights for next summer and noticed the additional summer flight was showing 777-200 with Best. Primary flight was the A380. But that's different than this past summer where they've used an A380 and a 777-300 with NEV4. I then checked my Dec flight and sure enough, our seat maps had been changed to 1-2-1 on a retro-fitted 777-300 with La Premiere.

I checked the 3 days before and after and they're all showing BEST. When I went back to check next summer, it showed 6 days a week in July with BEST config and just one day a week with NEV4.

I only had time to check the one week in Dec and the one week in July next year but certainly looks like they've deployed new config to SFO. At least for that time period.
I went ahead and checked the winter schedule and indeed BEST is also scheduled 6 days a week with NEV on a rolling basis (one week Thursday, week after Friday, etc etc). P is also bookable on days BEST is operating during winter schedule.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Quick question about the 77Ws "loisir" remaining in NEV 4: Have these been all retrofitted in Y?

I have a few flights across the pond in Y to ATL / MIA and I would choose the AF flights (currently NEV4 configuration in J) if I know they have the new seats in Y.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Am I the only one who thinks the J seat for the A350 is worse than the Zodiac Cirrus?

I am suprised by how they are going for a lower footprint/more cramped seat for the A350, while keeping the 777 and 789 fleet with the better product.

Any idea if the A350 shall be deployed to less premium markets?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Quick question about the 77Ws "loisir" remaining in NEV 4: Have these been all retrofitted in Y?

I have a few flights across the pond in Y to ATL / MIA and I would choose the AF flights (currently NEV4 configuration in J) if I know they have the new seats in Y.
At least, half of those 12 planes have the BEST Y seat. Those are the 77W recently delivered to AF since 2015 (F-GZNP/Q/R/S/T/U). For the 6 others, I think no.

Originally Posted by GRUflyer
Am I the only one who thinks the J seat for the A350 is worse than the Zodiac Cirrus?
I am suprised by how they are going for a lower footprint/more cramped seat for the A350, while keeping the 777 and 789 fleet with the better product.
At that stage, without having seen the product, it's hard to make any comment. And as to guess where they will fly in some years from now, it's absolutely impossible to predict.

Last edited by Goldorak; Aug 23, 2017 at 11:31 am
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GRUflyer

or to JOON
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Slightly OT, but QF has announced today a retrofit plan for their 12 A388. It seems complicated too as they will start only Q2-2019, but it will be finished end 2020.
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...or-a380-fleet/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.