Go Back   > > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 21, 17, 3:20 am   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LAX IAH AMS
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 804
AF selling business seats on a one-class flight?

I booked a flight AMS-MRS, MRS-CDG-AMS and paid for a business fare that booked into a C fare.

Now, when selecting my seat AMS-MRS, it is a Y-only cabin. how is this even possible?

Not only that, 90% of the seats are actually blocked. EF shows open seats up front and essentially everything behind row 5 is blocked but the AF site only showed 2 seats open - 10A and 10F.

Is this normal practice for AF?
avi8tir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 3:48 am   #2
  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 4,000
What flight and date?

If you have been downgraded, then you can claim compensation pursuant to EU261.
WorldLux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 5:13 am   #3
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LAX IAH AMS
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 804
AF 1821 on April 24th.

Here is the AF seatmap:


Here is the EF seatmap:
avi8tir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 6:11 am   #4
  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK/FR
Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 504
Lots of bugs going regarding seat maps on AF medium hault. This segment is Y only, there's no J service or separated class.

I booked a AMS-MRS in Y for may and I was able to seat on row 1.
Mirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 6:40 am   #5
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LAX IAH AMS
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 804
Interesting as they are obviously selling J fares... and now the Y fare is so expensive that there is no point in trying to change. Glad I paid 800 euros for my business fare.

Wish I had known as I would have taken another route/airline. First and last time I am flying AF intra europe.
avi8tir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 6:45 am   #6
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Cclub Accorhotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Interesting as they are obviously selling J fares... and now the Y fare is so expensive that there is no point in trying to change. Glad I paid 800 euros for my business fare.

Wish I had known as I would have taken another route/airline. First and last time I am flying AF intra europe.
This must be a mistake for the AMS/MRS. Only domestic flights have no C cabin (such as MRS/CDG)

For the seat assignment, try KLM website.

If it does not work, it will be possible when you OLCI, but it should work.

Last edited by carnarvon; Apr 21, 17 at 6:54 am
carnarvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 6:48 am   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 66,080
AFAIK all domestic AF flights are one class, coach only. If your destination is anywhere in France other than Paris, you need to take a flight from AMS and not connect through Paris.

I suspect that a business class AF ticket, even if domestic with no business class cabin, gets you lounge access. It worked that way for me a long time ago on some Air Europa flight that was one class but sold/ticketed as business class without warning.
MSPeconomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 6:56 am   #8
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Cclub Accorhotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK all domestic AF flights are one class, coach only. If your destination is anywhere in France other than Paris, you need to take a flight from AMS and not connect through Paris. (...)
That is what the OP did:

- AMS/MRS : direct European flight (not domestic) so should have C.

- MRS/CDG/AMS : he will be in Y on the domestic segment and C on CDG/AMS.

P.S. You do not "need" to take a direct flight from AMS. You CAN (when they exist), as there is not always a direct flights from every French city to AMS. Many times, you HAVE to fly through CDG (or even worse ORY).

Last edited by carnarvon; Apr 21, 17 at 12:14 pm
carnarvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:21 am   #9
  
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: City of Angels
Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Posts: 427
2015 I took a leg from LHR-CDG in business. Except not business class like your map shows. There were two of us. We got seat A and C. B was left empty. I guess that was our business class.
EmptyKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 12:12 pm   #10
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Cclub Accorhotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyKim View Post
2015 I took a leg from LHR-CDG in business. Except not business class like your map shows. There were two of us. We got seat A and C. B was left empty. I guess that was our business class.
Your guess is correct. This is the standard configuration on European flights, whichever the airline with 3-3 seat plan : the middle seat is blocked and service on board is better than behind the curtain (there is usually a curtain separating C and Y cabins).

If 2-2 (like E190), there there is no blocked seat.

To the OP avi8tir : did you try KLM website? Are you making any progress? It is OK to come here to complain and ask for advice, but some feedback would be nice.
carnarvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 2:43 pm   #11
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LAX IAH AMS
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 804
I spoke with Air France again and they were zero help.

I kept asking the question, "How can you sell a business class C fare on a flight that is coach only??"

The response was negligible. KL site was no different than the AF site... same issue.

I'll likely cancel and just go Alitalia through FCO --- I can deal with Y, but it's a matter of principal at this point.
avi8tir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 3:07 pm   #12
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Cclub Accorhotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I spoke with Air France again and they were zero help.

I kept asking the question, "How can you sell a business class C fare on a flight that is coach only??"

The response was negligible. KL site was no different than the AF site... same issue.

I'll likely cancel and just go Alitalia through FCO --- I can deal with Y, but it's a matter of principal at this point.
Sorry but I do not get it.

What is a "negligible" answer"?

Does this flight have a biz class cabin or not?

Is the issue with the flight itself (i.e. no C class cabin) or with the plane map?
carnarvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 3:56 pm   #13
Accor Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge
  
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 9,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
Sorry but I do not get it.
Me too. And AMS-MRS does have C class.
Goldorak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 8:01 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, BA Silver: AZ, EY
Posts: 19,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I booked a flight AMS-MRS, MRS-CDG-AMS and paid for a business fare that booked into a C fare.

Now, when selecting my seat AMS-MRS, it is a Y-only cabin. how is this even possible?
On AF and KL, as is the norm for European airlines, there is only one type of seat. A movable curtain separates busines from economy; its location changes from flight to flight, as demand requires.
There is no separate, fixed-size business cabin with differentiated seating as on US carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Not only that, 90% of the seats are actually blocked. EF shows open seats up front and essentially everything behind row 5 is blocked but the AF site only showed 2 seats open - 10A and 10F.

Is this normal practice for AF?
As you have a business ticket, you are restricted to choosing a seat in the front of the cabin, which is where all business class customers are seated. You cannot sit in an economy row, which at this time and for your flight means row 6 and back.
irishguy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 10:08 pm   #15
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Cclub Accorhotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I'll likely cancel and just go Alitalia through FCO --- I can deal with Y, but it's a matter of principal at this point.
You will be restricted to the front of the cabin in the same manner as on AF or KL.

Can you explain what AF told you?

There is a C cabin on your AF flight, so which issue are you facing that AF cannot solve?
carnarvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top