Wiki Posts
Search

Air France - Safety

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Air France - Safety

Hello everyone. I am considering purchasing a flight from LAX-CDG on Air France via DAL.

I am concerned about the AF's long history of flight incidents, including AF447. I know I am being paranoid but I am just worried - I told myself I wouldn't fly AF unless necessary.

Anyone have experience with AF and can please give me some insight re: safety/flight experience? Something to calm my nerves before I book...thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by SilverSpy57
Hello everyone. I am considering purchasing a flight from LAX-CDG on Air France via DAL.

I am concerned about the AF's long history of flight incidents, including AF447. I know I am being paranoid but I am just worried - I told myself I wouldn't fly AF unless necessary.

Anyone have experience with AF and can please give me some insight re: safety/flight experience? Something to calm my nerves before I book...thanks!
Absolutely nothing to worry about!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
In North American and the EU there really is not such a thing as and unsafe airline, the regulation is so tight AirFrance is no exemption. It really is true that you are more at risk driving to the airport.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
To ease your mind, here's some odds: (odds of dying of...)

Cardiovascular disease: 1 in 2

Smoking (by/before age 35): 1 in 600

Car trip, coast-to-coast: 1 in 14,000

Bicycle accident: 1 in 88,000

Tornado: 1 in 450,000

Train, coast-to-coast: 1 in 1,000,000

Lightning: 1 in 1.9 million

Bee sting: 1 in 5.5 million

U.S. commercial jet airline: 1 in 7 million

And that's just regular U.S. commercial jet airlines. The odds of being on a flight with Air France with any kind of issue is closer to 1 in 10 million.

You are much more likely to be randomly hit by lightning than to have anything go even slightly wrong on a flight. In fact, today is the safest air transportation has ever been. Air France doesn't have a bad history in the slightest, are extremely particular and thorough in maintenance and fly very new planes with excellent safety histories and no known issues. You are going to be OK .
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Or put differently: you are more likely to be hit by a bus in front of the entrance to the terminal or by another passenger with his luggage cart than be involved in any sort of incident as a passenger on a commercial flight, Air France or other.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you all! I reviewed the long list of AF incidents, and boy they have SO MANY. It's ridiculous. I was going to fly LAX-CDG on AF, and then KLM on the way back stopping in AMS. Thoughts?

Yes there's a non-stop from CDG-LAX
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
You've not heard about KLM accident in Tenerife? I would not take such a risk to fly CDG LAX via AMS! also you could end up on an AF operated flight from CDG to AMS, as scary as it can be! On the other hand, the more flights you take, the more risk you take... so perhaps a direct flight would be less risky?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:05 am

I think they are pretty safe.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
In North American and the EU there really is not such a thing as and unsafe airline, ...
History begs to differ. There are certainly airlines that don't take regulations as seriously and accidents do happen. Unfortunately regulation violations are often only detected after things go wrong.

That said, I would fully trust all North American and EU carriers when it comes to safety.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
It is because of the very incidents to which you refer that the level of safety vigilance has been highly elevated at AF. Fly with confidence.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Thank you all! I reviewed the long list of AF incidents, and boy they have SO MANY. It's ridiculous.

In the last three decades, they had 8 major incidents/accidents (3 in the 00s and 5 in the 90s). You can't really blame them for the Concorde accident. The Toronto crash landing IMO actually proves that the security rules worked: Nobody died. Only major F up in the 00s was AF447 that can be calked up to poor pilot training and technical problems.

Going back the the 90s now: 1 Freighter crash, 1 high-jacking, 1 aircraft encountering turbulences, 1 wet lease crashed, 1 crash landing with no casualties.

Overall I wouldn't describe the recent past of AF as troublesome when it comes to safety, just as I wouldn't refrain from booking KL (cf. Tenerife crash) or JL (cf. JL123).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I agree with the replies above. You couldn't choose a safer form of travel, and that includes AF. It's more likely that you'll be hit by lightning than being in an AF incident.

Thank you all! I reviewed the long list of AF incidents, and boy they have SO MANY. It's ridiculous. I was going to fly LAX-CDG on AF, and then KLM on the way back stopping in AMS. Thoughts?
I hope all the replies are clear, they're all of the same vein: It's safer than safe! In case you'd like to know/hear other things you've got to be more specific.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:37 pm

AF might have (had) some culture issues that could in some circumstances make accidents more likely *but* I would say you take a bigger risk every time you step on board of some regional airline's "express" flight in the U.S..

The shortcomings of those operators aren't exactly secret, yet people feel 'safe' because it's just a short flight even though the most accident-prone times are arrival and departure - and even a EWR-DCA flight needs to take off and land.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If you're worried don't fly them. Fear is irrational, yours included, but not worth screwing up your trip.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by ranskis
You've not heard about KLM accident in Tenerife? I would not take such a risk to fly CDG LAX via AMS! also you could end up on an AF operated flight from CDG to AMS, as scary as it can be! On the other hand, the more flights you take, the more risk you take... so perhaps a direct flight would be less risky?
well I didnt book that trip. I am flying LAX CDG and CDG LAX non-stop each way on AF. I decided I cant deal with layovers anymore. I did that with my trip to Athens recently on KLM. Nope nope. No more.

I've flown on FlyBe and RyanAir and I wasn't afraid LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.