LAX connecting time

Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

LAX connecting time

I hold a reservation from CDG to LAS with a stop over in LAX.
I will land at 12:50pm in terminal B and my next flight is at 3:15pm in terminal 2. It means I have 2 hours and 25 minutes to go through immigration, change terminal and pass through security check again (hoping that I don't have to collect my checked luggage). If AF sells this ticket I guess it is ok but still: do you have any advice or tips to make sure I will not miss my connecting flight?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This is not a stop over but just a connection. And for your bag, you do have to collect it in LAX as this is your entry point in the US, go through customs and re-check (as it will be already tagged to LAS, the re-checking operation just consist in putting the bag on a belt). You won't need to collect it on the return trip (it will be transferred automatically to your flight to CDG).
After immigration and customs, you'll have to go to your connecting terminal. I suppose you connect on DL ? If yes, no need to re-check with DL as you will already have your BP (you can go straight to the gate).
The only tip we can give you is to try to be seated as much from as you can in the CDG-LAX to exit first and reach immigration as quickly as possible.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I would add that if you are a returning ESTA (you already visited the US with the same ESTA authorisation) it's sometimes possible to use the computers for an expedited entry.

Few weeks ago at JFK T1 I breezed through immigration because I knew where to find these.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this information I connect with DL indeed.
I will probably save time if I keep my luggage in the cabin (I always travel light).
I will have the same ESTA; I did not know it was possible to use the computers! In the past months I entered into the US through Atlanta and Houston.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I will have the same ESTA; I did not know it was possible to use the computers! In the past months I entered into the US through Atlanta and Houston.
I never entered through Atlanta or Houston but I did JFK and BOS fairly recently and I always had the possibility to go for the returning ESTA lane where you use the same computers as US citizens. On these you answer the questions you normally had on the paper form, it takes your fingerprint, picture and print a receipt.
If you have a cross on it, no bunno, you have to go for an agent with full equipment (camera, fingerprint machine etc) but if you don't, you just present the receipt to an agent with a simple stand, asks few questions and then stamp your passport and you're good to go.

It's always worth trying to find these and aim straight for them saying to every agent you meet you are returning ESTA.
Indeed, people in those lanes will always be easy and quick while if you end up with the general lane with people who also needs a visa, it will take ages.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:34 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I travelled through LAX in February (on AF 66) - and was pleasantly surprised with the waiting time for immigration. Must have been through in 15 minutes.

My luggage only arrived 48 / 72 hours later, but that is another story
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:49 pm

If you have a valid ESTA and already visited the USA I believe once after 2008 you should be able to use the Automated Passport Control. If you are flying on Delta follow the signs to Transfers. Leave your bag at the transfer belt and then you can clear security in Terminal 4 or go back upstairs and clear in the Tom Bradly International Terminal and use the connector/underground tunnel to connect to Terminal 5.

If it will be after May 15th Delta is moving to Terminals 2 and 3 and you can walk to Terminal 2/3 about 5-10 minutes and clear security there.

When you arrive at LAX you can always ask the agent meeting the flight where to go.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
To clarify, there are two types of kiosks ("computers") at US immigration: Global Entry (GE) and Automated Passport Control (APC). Many airports have both, but not all. As a return ESTA, you can only use APC, not GE. (Unfortunately, LAX does not yet appear to have Mobile Passport, which is even faster than APC.)

As danielonn notes, DL is switching terminals in May. Make sure you know which terminal you're going to, as the "old" and "new" are on opposite sides of the airport.

Finally, if you do misconnect DL will simply put you on the next available flight.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for this additional information!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.