Search

March 18th-20th - planned AF flight attendants strike

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
March 18th-20th - planned AF flight attendants strike

Another strike planned by AF FAs on 18-20 March.
No idea if it will materialize or be extensive.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by brunos
Another strike planned by AF FAs on 18-20 March.
No idea if it will materialize or be extensive.
Delta has posted a travel waiver, though I don't see one for AF.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by bennos
Delta has posted a travel waiver, though I don't see one for AF.
Just posted: https://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/co...air_france.htm
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I am on a flight on Air France SFO->CDG on 3/18.

If this strike happens, what does AF usually do? Do they usually cancel their local flights but keep the long haul flights?

Since it says that I can change my flight with no penalty, I took a look online and it looks like if I want to travel on 3/17 then there's a fare difference. I don't know if I'm looking at it correctly but it looks like I may have to pay a lot more (~$4k) to make this change because of a fare change. I am booked in premium economy going there and business coming back. My total ticket price was ~$4k. It's not really clear when I look to change whether it's an additional $4k or whether the price is the same as what I already paid. In any case, there are no nonstops though so I'd have to stop somewhere.

Do any of you experts have any insight into what has happened in the past in these situations?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Rock72

If this strike happens, what does AF usually do? Do they usually cancel their local flights but keep the long haul flights?

Since it says that I can change my flight with no penalty, I took a look online and it looks like if I want to travel on 3/17 then there's a fare difference. I don't know if I'm looking at it correctly but it looks like I may have to pay a lot more (~$4k) to make this change because of a fare change. I am booked in premium economy going there and business coming back. My total ticket price was ~$4k. It's not really clear when I look to change whether it's an additional $4k or whether the price is the same as what I already paid. In any case, there are no nonstops though so I'd have to stop somewhere.

Do any of you experts have any insight into what has happened in the past in these situations?
This bit seems clear:-
Save time by changing your booking directly online, in the "Your reservations" section of the website or in the mobile app. You can change your booking at no extra cost for the same travel cabin.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum

About a year and a half ago, flying CDG-YYZ in J on a 777, when some sort of AF strike happened, a charter 777 from a company in Portugal was subbed. A couple of the FAs were AF, the food was AF catered, but the aircraft was a bit shopworn. We were promised an AF voucher for our trouble but, despite several inquiries, was never received. Overall, it was ok since we arrived safely and reasonably on time.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by lloydah
This bit seems clear:-
Save time by changing your booking directly online, in the "Your reservations" section of the website or in the mobile app. You can change your booking at no extra cost for the same travel cabin.
I tried this a few more times. I think maybe the problem is that my seat is in premium economy and there are no premium economy seats available. It won't let me book economy so the only choices are business class (for $4k more) or first class (for $12k more).

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong...

It wants to charge me for the fare change (the part that is $4k or $12k) but it is waiving the change fee.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:49 pm

This is what I see...my original seat is in premium economy. to change, it only has the options for business and premiere.

Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
This is what I see...my original seat is in premium economy. to change, it only has the options for business and premiere.

Don't suppose it shows a refund if you go eco does it. I'll leave it to the experts here to advise.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I cannot find the AF advisory mentioned above.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
ARGHHHHHHHHH

I am flying from GRU to HKG. I was due to leave on the 19th.

Irony: left LH/LX for AF/KLM again because of the bloody strikes!

Now I have to go 3 days earlier, and could only be booked on GRU-CDG-AMS-HKG in J.

I have to pay from my own pocket 3 extra hotel nights in HKG. AF Brazil told me I am more than welcome to file a Costumer Service Complaint. Will it yield ANY results at all? Not the money itself, but maybe something as a "token of appreciation and understanding"?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by GRUflyer
ARGHHHHHHHHH

I am flying from GRU to HKG. I was due to leave on the 19th.

Irony: left LH/LX for AF/KLM again because of the bloody strikes!

Now I have to go 3 days earlier, and could only be booked on GRU-CDG-AMS-HKG in J.

I have to pay from my own pocket 3 extra hotel nights in HKG. AF Brazil told me I am more than welcome to file a Costumer Service Complaint. Will it yield ANY results at all? Not the money itself, but maybe something as a "token of appreciation and understanding"?
In the future, route your flights through AMS / KL and you'll be somewhat more safe...
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:53 am

In these cases, is AF good about booking onto partner flights or even non-partners if there is availability? I'm booked for the 20th so flying earlier is just not going to happen. The 21st would be cutting it very close for the rest of my trip plans. I'm flying in La Premiere so I don't know if that would make them a little more willing to help?

Also, if they somehow manage to find enough cabin crew to run the flight during the strike, would the service at the CDG lounge be any different as presumably there wouldn't be as many La Premiere passengers coming through?

Last edited by luluv; Mar 14, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
The problem of AF is that they don't have many partners with first class. Depends on your route. They could possibly reroute your involuntarly to another airline in first class, but then, you also paid for the nice AF F class and its CDG service (assuming you are connecting to somewhere else).

If your F flight is not cancel, just enjoy it, the rest will be rebooked as needed also on competitors like LH if needed. If your F flight is cancelled, perhaps they can reroute you to the closest AF F station (like TYO instead of SEL, PVG instead of HKG etc.) that operates on that day.

4 years ago, I was flying LH F using SK points to SIN. Flight cancelled due to LH strike. they wanted to reroute me via BKK with a connection in C. I asked to be rebooked on SQ F which had a similar schedule to their cancelled flight and was direct. Got it approved, rebooked in A class, earned lots of SK points. I was allowed into the FCT in FRA since I was supposed to fly LH, they could not drive me to SQ so I had to walk to the normal terminal, spend time in the LH F lounge before boarding. A lucky F experience during a strike Hopefully you'll experience something similar!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ranskis
The problem of AF is that they don't have many partners with first class.
There also aren't many rebooking options for W, either (eg for the poster upthread flying SFO-CDG). And unfortunately W downgrades to Y when there is no option.

For Rock72, I would call Delta (which handles AF flights in the US). One possibility would be to reroute via LHR on VS (2x daily most days), which is a DL JV partner and has a W cabin (that's actually better than AF's). You can then fly LHR-CDG (or take the train at your own expense) in Y if need be (though you'll have to transfer from T3 to T4).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.