WX ends ORY-LCY

Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
WX ends ORY-LCY

WX is axing the ORY-LCY route at the end of march. So it means of course the end of the AF code-share. I don't know if AF has intentions to replace WX by A5 ?
I discovered that BE is flying once a day CDG-LCY, but AF is not code-sharing on this flight and one daily flight is totally useless on such a route.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...in-march-2017/

Last edited by Goldorak; Feb 9, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:56 pm

I guess depends on where in Paris you are and where in London you need to be, but wouldn't the Eurostar make a lot of sense to get between the city "centers" ?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ditto
I guess depends on where in Paris you are and where in London you need to be, but wouldn't the Eurostar make a lot of sense to get between the city "centers" ?
Your summary is exactly correct - it typically is much more convenient to go by Eurostar, but depending on exact locations the ORY-LCY was useful to some, including our very own moderator JOUY31 who long used that route when he had to travel between South Paris and the city.

The BE LCY-CDG has been on for a long time, I've taken it a couple of times and it was really quite pleasant, far more convenient to me than the ORY route. If indeed AF were to codeshare, they might find reason to double the frequency to one morning and one evening which would already be more interesting.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Business traffic (air and train) between Paris and London is huge. For a lot of people access to ORY (or CDG) is faster/easier than to Gare de Nord.
When flying between my home and Canary Wharf using ORY-LCY was far more convenient/fast than the Eurostar. And their frequency was decent. There is a business demand and BA or AF will probably fill the WX vacancy.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Ditto
Indeed, it all depends where you are starting from and where you go. If you go from downtown Paris to downtown London, yes Eurostar is no brainer. If you go to Canary Wharf, then LCY is unbeatable. But I have to say that, unfortunately, the customer experience at LCY has become extremely poor (warehouse-style boarding area in poor condition, super-crowded, no lounge, etc)

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The BE LCY-CDG has been on for a long time
Shame on me as I completely missed that one. And CDG is for me far more convenient than ORY. But BE...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Many
I have been using those flights several times a week some years ago and will miss them.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Indeed, it all depends where you are starting from and where you go. If you go from downtown Paris to downtown London, yes Eurostar is no brainer. If you go to Canary Wharf, then LCY is unbeatable. But I have to say that, unfortunately, the customer experience at LCY has become extremely poor (warehouse-style boarding area in poor condition, super-crowded, no lounge, etc)

Shame on me as I completely missed that one. And CDG is for me far more convenient than ORY. But BE...
Indeed, and a lot of business people live in the South-West or South suburbs where ORY is easier to reach than Gare du Nord.
As mentioned above, BE single weekdays flight makes poor sense for business pax and they don't fly on weekends for leisure pax.
I hope that something must be in the making and I wonder what will happen to WX slots
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Unfortunately you are oh so right... At busy hours it feels like a refugee camp with an adjacent landing strip. Already space is very restricted, but to make matters worse they squeeze in useless shops (although they probably aren't that "useless" otherwise they wouldn't be there, I just would prefer more civilized sitting or restaurant space rather than a MontBlanc shop or Boss shirts).
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

To be honest, once we accept we are evaluating this within the framework of low cost airlines, I don't find BE that bad.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

To be honest, once we accept we are evaluating this within the framework of low cost airlines, I don't find BE that bad.
I feel very depressed...
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:48 am

I feel very depressed...

Spare a thought for those of us flying BA a lot though: legacy is the new low cost...
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spare a thought for those of us flying BA a lot though: legacy is the new low cost...
Sorry, but I can't agree with you. I recently flew a returnn Paris-London on BA. The total return fare was EUR101.24. Given all the taxes, that left less than 30 to BA. This was a fare Plus, so I could select my seat (and in front as I am OWE), change flight for free on the day of flying ( I did) and have access to the excellent CX lounge at CDG and Gallery F lounge at LHR.

Furthermore I like the new buy-food-onboard. Much better food than the mediocre free food. And if I have time, I just pick some drink and snack in the lounge .
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
WX is axing the ORY-LCY route at the end of march. So it means of course the end of the AF code-share. I don't know if AF has intentions to replace WX by A5 ?
Indeed, KL has chosen to replace WX on LCY-AMS. I'm surprised AF doesn't do so. Finding an available A5 E170/190 at ORY doesn't seem difficult and the yield is far from bad on this route..
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Nico40
Indeed, KL has chosen to replace WX on LCY-AMS. I'm surprised AF doesn't do so. Finding an available A5 E170/190 at ORY doesn't seem difficult and the yield is far from bad on this route..
I agree, i would like to believe that apart from the business P2P traffic those airports without constant CDG service do use this route to connect to LCY, it's just a lot less hassle than going to Gare du Nord or all the way up to CDG from ORY...
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Much better food than the mediocre free food. And if I have time, I just pick some drink and snack in the lounge .
I don't want to go OT, but I can only assume that you mostly fly band 1/2 rather than band 3/4. The food is more repetitive than the previous free band 3 and certainly doesn't look better, and it is much worse than band 4.

Also on fares, unfortunately, LHR-NCE on BA are significantly more expensive now than they were before BA introduced HBO, then BoB. The flights are also so packed that the free same day change with Plus fares is pretty much useless. My last three plus fares saw either no flight I could change to or only the late evening one which is useless to me (out of 4-7 daily LHR-NCE depending on season) and I have now stopped buying them on that route since they changed the change fee for advanced change from 0+ fare difference to 80/60+fare difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.