Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

CDG -6h connect/ J Class-AF/Questions on Baggage, Lounge, Auchan, and dining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

First time poster, long time reader!

I am flying SAN-YYZ-CDG-BOM-CDG-YYZ-SAN next December. On my return flight I am flying J class, and have a 6h25m lay over. I would love to zip over to Auchan, (I understand there is a shuttle that takes 40min - I assume taxi would be faster!).

My question is, will I have to pick up my baggage and go through security, and passport control and check in again? Or will my baggage be checked though to YYZ?

Does anyone know the cost of a taxi to/from Auchan? And do they have a taxi stand for airport returns?

I know I am flying into/out of 2E - is there any way in advance to find out which gate/hall is used most often for AF217 and AF356 ?

It is also my understanding that the hall you are in is were you have to use the lounge, correct? Do can you use anyone in 2E

Do you have access to come and go from the lounge?

I also want to go to a restaurant in 2F if I have time - worth it or will the lounge food be good enough?

Thanks so much!

Brown Owl
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Welcome to Flyertalk ,

I am moving this thread to the Air France forum, where you should receive answers covering the range of issues you have raised. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
France forum moderator
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk BrownOwl

Originally Posted by BrownOwl
I would love to zip over to Auchan, (I understand there is a shuttle that takes 40min - I assume taxi would be faster!).
you don't precise which Auchan ? There are hundreds! Assuming you are talking about the shopping mall Aéroville, yes there is a shuttle. I am a bit surprised by the 40 min travel time because it is very close. A taxi will be definitely faster but be prepared to face some unhappy driver because he will have waited 2 or 3 hrs for a very short ride.

My question is, will I have to pick up my baggage and go through security, and passport control and check in again? Or will my baggage be checked though to YYZ?
your bag will be checked through to final destination. But obviously if you want to go landside, you will have to go through immigration twice, and security once. No need to check-in again.

Does anyone know the cost of a taxi to/from Auchan? And do they have a taxi stand for airport returns?
Again assuming you are talking about Aéroville, a taxi will be approx €20 one-way from 2E. But again, they won't like it. I have no idea if there is a taxi stand there, as I always go there with my own car.

I know I am flying into/out of 2E - is there any way in advance to find out which gate/hall is used most often for AF217 and AF356 ?
No.

It is also my understanding that the hall you are in is were you have to use the lounge, correct?
Yes

Do can you use anyone in 2E
No

Do you have access to come and go from the lounge?
Yes

I also want to go to a restaurant in 2F if I have time - worth it or will the lounge food be good enough?
As you have lounge access, I would not bother to go to 2F.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: FB Gold
Can I just ask, out of curiosity, what can possibly make a visit to Auchan so enticing?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by RabbitIYH
Can I just ask, out of curiosity, what can possibly make a visit to Auchan so enticing?
I was just wondering the same...

OP, don't know what it is that you intend to do or buy at Aeroville. I would gather that Aeroville doesn't have anything that you can't also buy in San Diego, with the exception of certain food items. But here are some thoughts if that is your plan:
  1. If it's alcohol and/or cheese you're buying, you won't be able to take that as hand luggage through security at CDG. Just pointing that out, since you said you don't want to re-check any luggage in Paris
  2. You're not allowed to bring those things into the US. Many people do nevertheless, but don't be see with several shopping bags of what in the eyes of the customs people are dubious liquors, smelly cheeses and meat products that have been produced under cruel conditions
  3. Many food items can also be bought at the airport in the Duty Free shops. At least they'll package it for you in a way that allows you to take it through security when you change planes in YYZ

Maybe this isn't at all what you're after at Auchan, I thought I'd just chip it in because there is a possibility that this is what you are after. Otherwise we are back to the original question: why go to Auchan?

Lastly, your flight from BOM gets in at 7.35am, but Aeroville only opens at 10am. I know you asked the question whether you could get freely in and out of the lounge, and Goldorak - correctly - answered that you could. You can for instance go to the lounge in 2E-K, go out and use one of the restaurants in 2E-K, and come back to the lounge in 2E-K. However, if by "freely in and out" you mean to go to the lounge in 2E-K after your arrival, then leave the airport to go to Aeroville and come back again - then the answer is no, that is not possible, or at least it is difficult to go back through security and immigration "backwards".
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
I would love to zip over to Auchan, (I understand there is a shuttle that takes 40min - I assume taxi would be faster!).
If you are talking about this big mal close from CDG , Aeroville

CDG to Aeroville = around 15-20 mins , depends how long stops at the hotel

Aeroville to CDG = 5-10 mins

Havent tried yet , but as Goldorak said it can be around 20euros

From the airport you can easily find taxis , however going back to he airport is different as i havent seen any taxi's spot close to this mall , so you may have to order one by phone

Most of the time iam just in transit , so i use my layovers in CDG for short visits or shopping . At checkin i ask the agent to check one of my luggage to CDG , and the other to my final destination , so YYZ in your case

Once in CDG i can wait and grab my empty luggage and leave the airport to reach Aeroville by shuttle , buy whatever i need and return to CDG .

Then i have to recheck this luggage again and pass through security and/or immigration

You can skip this plan with checked luggage , for example in J you can take up to 2 cabin/hand luggages with you if iam right , so just use one and keep the other one emtpy for your journey to Auchan then check it in CDG to YYZ

Or you can even bring your items in your hand luggage , if it will still be within the weight limits , will not contain liquid or dangerous/suspicious item , and his content respect the laws of Canada/France/USA

Last edited by fifty_two; Jan 29, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this - I used to live in Paris, and there are some household items which I wish to purchase while I am in France.

And thanks for the help everyone!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:53 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
  1. If it's alcohol and/or cheese you're buying, you won't be able to take that as hand luggage through security at CDG. Just pointing that out, since you said you don't want to re-check any luggage in Paris
  2. You're not allowed to bring those things into the US. Many people do nevertheless, but don't be see with several shopping bags of what in the eyes of the customs people are dubious liquors, smelly cheeses and meat products that have been produced under cruel conditions.
Another new measure by the new government?

It has never been prohibited to bring wine and cheese back to the US. You can, however, bring one bottle free of duty, and cheese for "personal consumption". Cheese is also allowed in a hand luggage. Most cheeses that can be purchased in a supermarket are allowed in the US:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

-Cheese- Solid cheese (hard or semi-soft, that does not contain meat); butter, butter oil, and cultured milk products such as yogurt and sour cream are not restricted. Feta cheese, Brie, Camembert, cheese in brine, Mozzarella and Buffalo Mozzarella are permissible (USDA Animal Product Manual, Table 3-14-6). Cheese in liquid (such as cottage cheese or ricotta cheese) and cheese that pours like heavy cream are not admissible from countries affected by foot-and-mouth disease (FMD). Cheese containing meat is not admissible depending on the country of origin.
And, of course, declare them. Most likely you will be waved through if you declare them in the customs form. However, if you happen to be stopped and your luggage scanned, failure to declare the items can lead to a hefty fine.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
-Cheese- Solid cheese (hard or semi-soft, that does not contain meat); butter, butter oil, and cultured milk products such as yogurt and sour cream are not restricted. Feta cheese, Brie, Camembert, cheese in brine, Mozzarella and Buffalo Mozzarella are permissible (USDA Animal Product Manual, Table 3-14-6).
I brought home a half-dozen bars of Beurre Bordier a few weeks ago, packed in an insulated bag in my checked luggage. Made the trip beautifully... although this was in January, I don't know if I'd try to do it in July.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

You guys kill me, why do you want to know what I would be shopping for? And great idea about checking 1 bag, awesome idea.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
You guys kill me, why do you want to know what I would be shopping for? And great idea about checking 1 bag, awesome idea.
"You guys" are just trying to be helpful. France is culinary destination no 1 (or may be Italy is, down to personal taste I guess) and it's common practise to take home food items that are either hard to come by in your host country or come at a very high price.
So it's very likely that, if someone wants to go to Auchan dring a transit, food is the target.

I, for example, bring tonnes of pecorino cheese and Lavazza coffee from Italy, pata negra ham and manchego cheese from Spain and pastry from Copenhagen when I visit these destinations.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Of course it is, and like I said, I really thank you guys (everyone) for all the awesome help you have given me! And I like to buy weird stuff - so while your thinking food and wine, I am thinking underpants and tissues!

One last question if I may - the last time I was flying J class (oh 14 years ago plus - SAHM - been doing family cruises forever it seems... ) they did not have lie flight beds on AC. What is the etiquette for having your bed made up for sleeping? Do you do it your self? Do the flight attendants do it ? I just don't want to look gauche.. I feel like I am moving back into the adult world of travel again ! LOL

Thank you again guys! *everyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.