Wiki Posts
Search

Air France gate-check fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: more than I care to list...
Air France gate-check fees?

I have a bag that very slightly exceeds the Air France carry-on mandate. I don't fly them often, so it's not worth getting a new bag to meet that standard.

I have one checked bag included in my fare, but prefer not to check my bag if I don't have to. If I chance it and at the gate they determine it is not acceptable for carry on, will they charge me a fee to gate check it? Or because I have one checked bag allowed that I haven't used yet, would it just be gate checked at no charge?

I know it used to be pretty common to simply have a bag gate-checked at no cost, but now that many airlines are trying to charge fees for anything they can I'd like to have an idea going in. And I haven't been able to find anything useful searching Air France's website or other threads here on Flyertalk.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Where are you flying from? I'm asking because if you start your travel in CDG it is not uncommon there to have a security/AF staff sizing and weighing bags/luggages that appear too big or too heavy. Since that is done landside, BEFORE security, you would have no other option but to check your bag if it doesn't fit in the sizer.

If that's not your case, I don't remember AF charging anything for gate-checked bags. AF website says:
Depending on the type of aircraft, your baggage may not be accepted in the cabin, even if it complies with the hand baggage rules. In this case, it will be checked and transported in the hold, at no charge.
You should be fine but as always YMMV.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
No gate-checked bag fee for you, would this happen.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mpk620
I have a bag that very slightly exceeds the Air France carry-on mandate. I don't fly them often, so it's not worth getting a new bag to meet that standard.

I have one checked bag included in my fare, but prefer not to check my bag if I don't have to. If I chance it and at the gate they determine it is not acceptable for carry on, will they charge me a fee to gate check it? Or because I have one checked bag allowed that I haven't used yet, would it just be gate checked at no charge?

I know it used to be pretty common to simply have a bag gate-checked at no cost, but now that many airlines are trying to charge fees for anything they can I'd like to have an idea going in. And I haven't been able to find anything useful searching Air France's website or other threads here on Flyertalk.
Air France is not Ryanair, if your bag is only slightly bigger than the guidelines it will be okay to take on. Try not to draw attention to yourself and/or the bag, and you will be okaym
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Unlikely you'll have to check it if discreet, but even if you do it will be free providing you've not used your allowed checked bag
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: more than I care to list...
Thank you all for the replies. I'm familiar with the idea of not drawing attention and that is my primary plan. Just like to have a back-up plan!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The gate check fees are a new 'inspiration' by US airlines to discourage people on their new 'economy basic' fares (which do not afford overhead hand luggage on UA and AA) to 'try their luck'. So far, European airlines do not have similar concepts either of fares or disincentives. That said us gate check is also advantageous in that you typically get your bag back at the aircraft door. By contrast, gate check on European flights will join the regular baggage cargo and often (not always) be delivered last on the luggage carrousel.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The gate check fees are a new 'inspiration' by US airlines to discourage people on their new 'economy basic' fares (which do not afford overhead hand luggage on UA and AA) to 'try their luck'. So far, European airlines do not have similar concepts either of fares or disincentives. That said us gate check is also advantageous in that you typically get your bag back at the aircraft door. By contrast, gate check on European flights will join the regular baggage cargo and often (not always) be delivered last on the luggage carrousel.
Interesting. So there is no gate checking of bags like there is in USA? If they tag your bag as oversize it goes to the same baggage carousel as any other checked bags?

I'm curious because I'm taking a European trip later this year. My husband and I are debating what bags are too big to take with us onboard. He wants to take something that will fit the largest plane but maybe not the smallest. I want to take my new-ish Samsonite bag that should fit everything. One of our US flights is on a CR9. The others are 764, 320, 739. Probably the only place where it will be an issue is on our flight RDU-JFK (CR9) where we could gate check if we had to. The rest of the flights should be OK.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
By contrast, gate check on European flights will join the regular baggage cargo and often (not always) be delivered last on the luggage carrousel.
Since when? At least for KL they provide it back at the gate.
If they wanted it to go to the carousel they would have to tag it properly, and I suspect they do not have the means to do that at the gate...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by zitsky
Interesting. So there is no gate checking of bags like there is in USA? If they tag your bag as oversize it goes to the same baggage carousel as any other checked bags?
Originally Posted by Ditto
Since when? At least for KL they provide it back at the gate.
If they wanted it to go to the carousel they would have to tag it properly, and I suspect they do not have the means to do that at the gate...
The concept of bags delivered back at the gate/at the foot of the aircraft is only for RJ. If mainline aircraft, it is delivered to carousel.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:29 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mpk620

If your trip originates in CDG, chances are your bag will not make it to the gate if it is not acceptable for carry-on. AF has become very strict in the last year or so, and takes the weight+measure of every carry-on before going through immigration/security. So, if the carry-on does not meet the criteria, you will be sent back to the check-in counter.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
If your trip originates in CDG, chances are your bag will not make it to the gate if it is not acceptable for carry-on. AF has become very strict in the last year or so, and takes the weight+measure of every carry-on before going through immigration/security. So, if the carry-on does not meet the criteria, you will be sent back to the check-in counter.
If you are making a connection in CDG, do your bags get measured? I have a very small bag and my partner has one that might be a little oversized. He insists it will fit.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
AF has become very strict in the last year or so, and takes the weight+measure of every carry-on before going through immigration/security.
Woah. Steady on, tiger. Let us keep a sense of proportion. AF does not measure every single carry-on. Next you will be telling us that a giant flying sardine is blocking access to MRS airport.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NickB
Woah. Steady on, tiger. Let us keep a sense of proportion. AF does not measure every single carry-on. Next you will be telling us that a giant flying sardine is blocking access to MRS airport.
This is the case for Non-Sky Priority customers at 2E and 2F, and from time to time for SkyPriority customers at 2E. Back in december, in the regular line every single carry-on had to fit in the measure box+scale, only non-AF passengers departing CDG were excempt from this. Twice in November also saw SkyPriority customers being asked to put the luggage in the box. If things have changed since, then good for AF.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
If you are making a connection in CDG, do your bags get measured? I have a very small bag and my partner has one that might be a little oversized. He insists it will fit.
In that case, they will be too busy at the gate to notice, so you should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.