Search

checked baggage during long layover in CDG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:02 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
checked baggage during long layover in CDG

I wanted to confirm if I have to do anything with checked baggage during a 17 hour layover. I'm flying LAX-CDG-BEY on one ticket, with a lay over of 17 hours, I assume I don't have to pick up my checked bag.

if I do have to pick it up, what would be my best options, is there storage locations?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fnaime23
I wanted to confirm if I have to do anything with checked baggage during a 17 hour layover. I'm flying LAX-CDG-BEY on one ticket, with a lay over of 17 hours, I assume I don't have to pick up my checked bag.

if I do have to pick it up, what would be my best options, is there storage locations?
No, you can choose to check it through or not. It depends on whether you will make huge shopping in Paris.

The baggage claim is after passport control, your bag can check through and stay in the international area within 24 hours, so 17 hours is not a problem.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Bizarrely, I'm realising that after so many AF flights, I'm so used to travelling with hand luggage 95%+ of the time that I have never had to through check bags with an overnight connection! Can I check that this too is possible? Landing into CDG at 19.00, have a day of lovely brotherly catch up and being introduced to a friend's new born baby, and off the next day from CDG at 18.00 all in one ticket, and for once, I'll have two pieces of checked luggage. I hope I do not need to pick up those bags??
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:05 am

Confirming for you that you can check bags heights as lon as your connection is less than 24 hours.

I have done this multiple times with no issue.

On the other had I have had a few 36 hour layovers at CDG after spending weeks in another climate and have been frustrated at having to take my bags into town for just 36 hours.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
I would avoid picking up the luggage in CDG unless I would really need to, because sometimes you have to wait so looooooong....
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I can indeed confirm that my bags were automatically through checked despite the overnight connection, in fact, when I asked, the agent misunderstood my question and thought I was asking about NOT checking it through and was starting to say that she could not sort check.

For reference, since I am high fare, plat for life, I suspect non-elite pax may get even answers if trying to short check and should assume that it will be refused even on overnight connection and pack what they need for the night in their hand luggage.

In any case, as I DID want it through checked it was all good for me and both pieces of luggage even arrived in the first 10 bags delivered off a full flight so whilst this has not often been experience, fair is fair and I have to say that priority luggage delivery worked almost perfectly this time.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Apologies for digging up an old thread but don’t want to start a new thread with the exact same question. Is this still the norm that bags can be checked through with an overnight connection?

Many thanks
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Apologies for digging up an old thread but don’t want to start a new thread with the exact same question. Is this still the norm that bags can be checked through with an overnight connection?

Many thanks
Did you find out?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:22 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Did you find out?
Hi. I did. Bags checked at EDI and didn’t collect till my final destination. Overnighted in an airport hotel with my hand luggage only. Hope that is of some help.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Hi. I did. Bags checked at EDI and didn’t collect till my final destination. Overnighted in an airport hotel with my hand luggage only. Hope that is of some help.
Perfect, thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Did two 23 hour connections with bags checked. No problem.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:46 pm

I have the opposite question, can you recover your checked bag if it goes all the way through in CDG ? Planning to book a long layover just to be able to exit with my bag as I don't want the last leg of my flight

__PRESENT
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by flofloflo2
I have the opposite question, can you recover your checked bag if it goes all the way through in CDG ? Planning to book a long layover just to be able to exit with my bag as I don't want the last leg of my flight

__PRESENT
It should be seamless if you have an overnight layover. For a same day transit, you may want to check AF’s short-checking policy. I think it’s around EUR 250. However, it can be waived by the check in agent if you have a legitimate reason to short check it (what is legitimate, I don’t know…)

If possible, try to book the layover across 2 days (land in CDG day 1 with connecting flight leaving day 2)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.