Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-paid meals to come on AF domestic flights?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
I have not flown Eurowings for quite a while. I believe that Germanwings is now part of Eurowings. But I think that they provide an a la cart buy on board menu (please correct me if I am wrong). Many airlines do that buy on board service with the forthcoming addition of BA.

That is totally different from the product envisaged by HOP/AF where you order online "meal" prepared in some little handbag that you will get when boarding the plane (or possibly loaded onboard). It will be a management nightmare given the culture of AF. To try to make it work, they are offering no options (as opposed to buy on board), but that will still be difficult to manage.
For all practical purposes, Germanwings has become Eurowings. A certain little accident associated with the forme that required an urgent rebranding!

I believe they may have the same system as AB and for that matter EI whereby snacks are on sale from the trolley but hot meals are bought online and served by the crew. In fact some Asian low cost airlines like Tiger also do the same I think.

I think it works quite well in all cases (logistically speaking) but I'm not aware of a single case where this hasn't led to an end of free snacks if/when they were previously offered (e.g. AB)
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think it works quite well in all cases (logistically speaking) but I'm not aware of a single case where this hasn't led to an end of free snacks if/when they were previously offered (e.g. AB)
Yep, that's exactly correct.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
For all practical purposes, Germanwings has become Eurowings. A certain little accident associated with the forme that required an urgent rebranding!

I believe they may have the same system as AB and for that matter EI whereby snacks are on sale from the trolley but hot meals are bought online and served by the crew. In fact some Asian low cost airlines like Tiger also do the same I think.

But germanwings still exists with a separate AOC and separate airline code (4U). I was hoping the brand was going be completely eliminated because I really don't like the brand, accident or no accident. I can't explain why, it's just a feeling. Can't stand it.

I thought the previous airberlin formula was quite good, with free snacks and soft drinks. I mean, what does that cost the airlines, really? About 1 Euro per passenger? If you wanted more, like a beer and a bigger snack, you paid for it. It was a compromise I was happy enough to live with, in this horrid LCC environment. The previous formula was a bit similar to what the US airlines have come around to offering these days, with their reintroduction of free snacks.

I've always appreciated that AF offers you something, however small, in Economy. I've even occasionally had better things than I expected in Economy, like smoked salmon sandwiches (CDG-DUS about 4 years ago) and cream cheese sandwiches (GVA-CDG earlier this year).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Well, it looks like it was an intern's experiment that wasn't supposed to be online. Or there is people at AF reading us!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by wicofr
Well, it looks like it was an intern's experiment that wasn't supposed to be online. Or there is people at AF reading us!
lol

I don't think you could order a HOP! meal for an AF flight. Their planning is sometimes weird as it is. I once had a AF flight no. but it said would be carried out by HOP!, which it wasn't. Then afterwards on the same day i checked my flight via the flight number i just flew, and there was no excistance of it. It never operated and the airbus i was on, flew a totally other route that same day according to serveral internet sources. lol
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AF-Platinum for Life / LH-M&M / Radisson Rewards Platinum / IHG Gold
Looks like it is now becoming reality:
http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/ne...ng-offer-board
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:03 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Q-STO
Looks like it is now becoming reality:
http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/ne...ng-offer-board
That picture makes me laugh. Why do they lay raw salmon on a wooden, outdoors, picknick table? I know that picture is just for showcasing the product and the 'expensive' ingredients - but that just looks weird.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:45 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
At last. I have had good experience with the BOCO menus available on the TGV, so this looks like a good step forward. Hopefully, someday, on medium-haul flights, we will have something closer to what is offered on long-haul flights.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
To be honest. I like the idea and I like the concept. I will certainly use it, especially on early morning flights. I'll be a lot less enthusiastic if the following two concerns become reality, as others have already pointed out.
  1. end of free 'sucré salée'
  2. bad executions, as is quiet often the case with new AF concepts.
For example, I really like the long haul paid special meals in Y. It really is as good as it can get on a flight. But I stopped ordering them because I don't like to receive my glass of wine half an hour later when I'm already finished. Besides, it seems that the chance of OPUP reduces to 0 if you order such a meal, but that is less relevant tbh.

Last edited by Zembla; Apr 29, 2017 at 6:42 am
Old May 19, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Not seeing it on my NCE-CDG flight. I'm still confused if hop has taken over the cdg flights. I would have thought not, but then we have the same nonsense about no ice cubes etc.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:57 am
Original Poster

According to the announcement, the service is only offered on ORY to/from TLS, BOD, MRS and NCE routes.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Not seeing it on my NCE-CDG flight. I'm still confused if hop has taken over the cdg flights. I would have thought not, but then we have the same nonsense about no ice cubes etc.
According to the announcement, the service is only offered on ORY to/from TLS, BOD, MRS and NCE routes.
Yes, nothing on CDG flights.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:21 am

Thanks!!
Old May 20, 2017, 11:46 am

I would rather go to a good bakery get a baguette and then go to a supermarket and buy good cheeses and meats and eat that before the flight while its fresh on the way to the airport.

At Orly if you have Priority Pass you can access a lounge so I would go there as I have Priority Pass and eat there. Why pay 15 Euros for a lunch on a short HOP?
Old May 20, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Priority Pass only gives access to a lounge at ORY-W hall 1, not hall 2 used for the concerned flights, and its food offer isn't close to something I'd qualify of a "meal". Preparing your own sandwich (not to mention anything more elaborated) isn't always an option when you are on a business trip or a tight schedule. In such cases, I'd appreciate being offered something consistent while I'm seated in the plane and have spare time.

For those wondering, here are the 4 options currently offered on ORY-TLS and TLS-ORY (I suspect they are the same on the other routes):
  • Seafood menu :BOCO Grilled salmon duo and green lentil salad - Régis Marcon & BOCO Apricot pudding with pistachio cream - Christophe Michalak - 15€
  • Garden menu : BOCO Vegetable mille-feuille with lime vinegar - Régis Marcon & BOCO Thick chocolate mousse and almond crumble - Frédéric Bau - 15€
  • Farmhouse menu (even months) : BOCO Poached egg, green peas cream, pancetta - Jean-Michel Lorain & BOCO Mango - passion fruit cream, chocolate mousse - Paul Wittamer - 15€
  • Farmhouse menu (odd months) : BOCO Tandoori chicken with orange on an eggplant caviar - Vincent Ferniot & BOCO Passion fruit mousse, fresh raspberries & coulis - Paul Wittamer - 15€
  • Sweet menu : BOCO Apple sauce with vanilla - Vincent Ferniot & large chocolate and hazelnuts muffin and 100 % pure orange juice - 8€
It doesn't look bad, but we're still far from the choice offered by BT. The "odd/even months" mention also suggests that the choice might not be renewed very often...
Attached Images     

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.