Wiki Posts
Search

AF announces new longhaul airline brand based @CDG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I would say Air Asia X or even Lufthansa-Eurowings work out quite well.
Air Asia X has flown between Europe and Asia and failed. t is fighting hard for the Asia-Australia market but that is a very different market and I was referring to Europe longhaul.
As NickB points out, Norwegian is a "new" attempt and I hope their business model will succeed. But the jury is still out and it is unclear whether legacy airlines like BA will manage to make them fail outside of Scandinavia, as has been the case for other longhaul LCC.
Similarly, Air Transat has some success but that is in part due to the specific Canadian market. I suppose that we could find some mini examples, but nothing on the scale contemplated.

Starting a separate longhaul LCC out of France using current AF staff seems weird. My guess is that AF will use this "brand" for COI flights plus a few other leisure destinations such as BKK where they already use the leisure config. It sounds simply like putting a specific stamp on existing flights using existing ac. The carrot for unions is the reopening of closed routes.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by olivedel
And why would they stop Transavia? Why not building on their success to operate long-haul?
Because to date, it certainly isn't a success!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Gathering info here and there, I could read that Y PAX would be offered beds in the hold or above the cabin.
I laughed a lot when I read that article that did not even analyze the safety concerns that this could raise...
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by olivedel
I laughed a lot when I read that article that did not even analyze the safety concerns that this could raise...
It was saying that they had to look at the safety aspects of this concept.

I guess that as long as beds are not in use during take off and landing, there would not be too many possible in-flight issues with people in beds.

Last edited by carnarvon; Nov 9, 2016 at 9:16 pm
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Air France awaits union go-ahead for new subsidiary

Originally Posted by ATWOnline
Air France’s new, lower-cost long- and medium-haul airline will initially use Airbus A340s on its long-distance routes.

The new operation, which is being created under the interim name Boost, will include new A350s from 2019, but initial long-haul services from summer 2018 will operate the older four-engined type.

Prior to that, medium-haul services will begin in autumn 2017 using A320-family aircraft.

The French flag carrier has previously said the Boost fleet will not exceed 18 medium- and 10 long-haul aircraft.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Pilots have voted at 58% in favor of the new BOOST airline long-haul subsidiary. 75% of pilots have participated to the poll.
http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...ts-642774.html

Last edited by Goldorak; Feb 21, 2017 at 12:43 am Reason: correct typo
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Pilots have voted at 58% in favor of the new BOOST airline long-haul subsidiary. 75% if pilots have participated to the poll.
"Good". In "
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The result may be more nuanced than just saying "the pilots have voted in favour"....

Originally Posted by Airwise
SNPL said the vote clarifies the position of pilots but does not accept unilaterally the Air France proposals for the new airline. It said in a statement that many guarantees lacking in the airline’s proposal will have to be addressed by the company.

“We will continue to study the project in this new context and work to ensure it is a growth driver, including strong guarantees for Air France pilots,” the president of SNPL Air France Philippe Evain said.

The union sees further discussions necessary to find a compromise acceptable to the pilots.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Pilots approve low-cost

http://www.france24.com/fr/20170220-...agnie-low-cost

So that awful and costly strike was a complete waste of time?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
...guess the majority of strikes are a tremendous waste of time.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Lol ! one of the ideas mentioned in this article

No more first class (but still a business class) on these planes, and more seats per row in economy class.
Basically thats already the case for Caribbean and Indian Ocean , i guess also some routes to Africa

Last edited by fifty_two; Feb 21, 2017 at 8:39 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fifty_two
Lol ! one of the idea mentionned in this article

Basically thats already the case for Caribbean and Indian Ocean , i guess also some routes to Africa
That was my thought as well. Nothing can be worse than a 77W COI, so I am optimistic about the seating configuration in the new airline.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:38 pm

Well, given that something like Boost is essentially a somewhat subtle form of union busting, the union were hardly just gonna take the vote and say "that's alright then". Air France will play the game now that BA and LH have already played for years - play your current staff vs future staff.

Also, Air Canada must be peeved that someone's now taken the name "Boost" so they can't use it themselves for some off-shoot or price category for that matter.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Pilots have voted at 58% in favor of the new BOOST airline long-haul subsidiary. 75% of pilots have participated to the poll.
"Good". In inverted commas, because union support for a flawed business plan is obviously not really good.

But good in the sense that the pilots have taken away from themselves a reason to strike against the new venture. And good in the sense that they see the need for change.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
"Good". In inverted commas, because union support for a flawed business plan is obviously not really good.

But good in the sense that the pilots have taken away from themselves a reason to strike against the new venture. And good in the sense that they see the need for change.
Indeed, the good news is that the pilots finally accept the idea that change might be needed. And that vote despite the opposition of SNPL management. It is more a vote on principles than on details, but that is a good step.

To me this is clearly a long term plan. I think that this is the first time in recent decades that a plan is offered for longhaul. All previous low cost plans only affected medium haul. I heard that some longhaul pilots saw Boost as a way to keep their "avantages acquis", as they think that it will reduce the negotiation pressure on the longhaul mainline pilots.

But it is long term.plan. In the short run Boost will operate with high-operational-cost ac and AF pilots under their current rules and compensation. But one has to start somewhere.
Whether an AF low-cost longhaul airline to Asia is viable is another question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.