Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Date Fee Discrepency between CSR and Me

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Change Date Fee Discrepency between CSR and Me

I am trying to change the date on a return flight that was bought and originated in India. The route is DEL-JFK-DEL.

There is no fare difference between the two dates and the change is allowed with a charge of INR 5000 (approx. USD 75.00), according to the fare rules I have. From the fare rules--

Return flight
Modification before the trip has started : Allowed at a charge of INR5,000
Modification after the trip has started : Allowed at a charge of INR5,000
Refund before the trip has started : Allowed at a charge of INR10,000
Refund after the trip has started : Not allowed

Now when I called the US based CSR (Delta), they are asking me for a change fee of INR 9,000 which amounts to $135 amounting to an additional $60 that I am loath to pay.

What's the best way to prove to them the rules of the fare I purchased? I do have an email that AF/ DL have sent me mentioning the "administrative fee" of $75, so obviously they have the same rules that I have, but it looks like the last two CSRs I have spoken are seeing things differently.

I am wondering if the best way is to make the change with the fee they are asking for, because I might be slapped with a fare difference as well if I waste time, and then pursue a refund for the 60 additional bucks. What say you, wise folk?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:01 pm

Assuming we are talking about an AF ticket, try to change the flights on their website.
If changing via phone you have to pay an extra fee, which can be up to 30€ http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/local/..._airfrance.htm
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Assuming we are talking about an AF ticket, try to change the flights on their website.
If changing via phone you have to pay an extra fee, which can be up to 30€ http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/local/..._airfrance.htm
Yes, Air France tickets. I wish I could change it online without having to waste time on the phone, but I am getting the following message:

Change
Your reservation cannot be modified online. For more information please contact your point of sale.

The ticket was bought on the Air France website.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:26 pm

How were the tickets booked?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

How were the tickets booked?
Online on AirFrance.us

I had written to them, since the error message for Change under my reservation number asked me to contact Point of Sale and received the following message back from a DL email address:

Dear Mr. Knit-in,

RE: Case Number ###...

Thank you for contacting Air France.

After review of your ticket conditions I show to make a change there is a 75.00USD administration fee and the difference in fare. The fare difference can not be calculated via this channel due to frequent changes. I would encourage you to contact us via phone at 1-800-237-2747 or our web support team at 1-800-992-3932 and one of our representatives will be happy to help.

Thank you for choosing Air France.

Sincerely,

Name Withheld
Online Customer Support Desk
Air France / KLM / Delta
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:48 pm

Given that the change fee is quoted in INR, it would seem that the ticket was issued by AF India rather than AF in the US. (Which is normal, the POS when booking directly from AF will normally be the city of departure)
You can try and change the ticket via AirFrance India website, otherwise if it is still not possible any phone fees should be waived.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Given that the change fee is quoted in INR, it would seem that the ticket was issued by AF India rather than AF in the US. (Which is normal, the POS when booking directly from AF will normally be the city of departure)
You can try and change the ticket via AirFrance India website, otherwise if it is still not possible any phone fees should be waived.
Let me give it a shot by changing the website's setting to India. Thanks!

Edit: Nope, the India site directs me back to the US site with the following message:
Your reservation cannot be completed in this country, please click here, if you wish to make changes to your reservation.

Last edited by knit-in; Oct 10, 2016 at 2:02 pm Reason: Update
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP said that the amount was quoted in the fare rules. The fare rules will always quote change fees in the currency in which the fare is filed. It does not follow from this that the ticket is issued in the same country. Some airlines, like BA, will force the ticket to be issued in the country of origin (and charged in the currency used for fares in the state of origin) if you buy online on ba.com. That is not the case of AF though.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by NickB
The OP said that the amount was quoted in the fare rules. The fare rules will always quote change fees in the currency in which the fare is filed. It does not follow from this that the ticket is issued in the same country. Some airlines, like BA, will force the ticket to be issued in the country of origin (and charged in the currency used for fares in the state of origin) if you buy online on ba.com. That is not the case of AF though.
Hmm, good to know ^
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Folks, another question related to the Original Post.

I need to change my return segment a second time. It is booked in Premium Economy and I was wondering if I were to change it for another date in Business Class, which I believe is not that much costlier than PE, would I still be charged a change fee? I seem to recall reading that on occasion phone agents waive the change fee if the cabin is upgraded.

I know this has probably been discussed before, and my best guess is that the answer is Yes I will have to pay the fee, but before I speak with the CSR (in the USA) I just wanted to get the combined wisdom of FlyerTalk to chime in on this situation.

Also, how close to the departure am I allowed to change a flight?

Many thanks as always!

Last edited by knit-in; Feb 3, 2017 at 5:38 am
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:25 am

Yes you still pay the fee even if you "upgrade" to business, never hurts to ask the agent to waive the fee and maybe they agree
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Yes you still pay the fee even if you "upgrade" to business, never hurts to ask the agent to waive the fee and maybe they agree
Thanks!

Will make the call today and post my experience.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

The change fee drama (from post #1 ) continues. They want INR 10,000 when the fare rules say INR 5,000 for change fee! This time I am armed with the information that I paid $80.66 (= INR5,000 + minor difference in fare) the last time, which they see in their records.

The first agent tells me that I was not charged a fee for the first change, which according to her was a schedule change and not a voluntary change . I am now on hold with the supervisor who saw that I paid for the first change, and while very polite and apologetic, still can't figure why I was charged only $80 for it, and is telling me that they (whoever above her she was talking to) are looking into what they can do about it.

I also have given her my Case No. for when I emailed Air France, a few months ago, asking what the change fee would be. She is checking on it now...

Update: Took about an hour to correct it, but the Supervisor finally figured how to process the INR 5,000 change fee. Apparently, from my understanding, the default on their program for my fare class (A) was INR 10,000, and they have to override it manually to charge the change fee that's stated in my rules.

Hopefully, this last date change will be final.

Last edited by knit-in; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.