Downgraded from PE to Economy: Options?

Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Update:

Well, what d'ya know! We are all back in Premium! How about that?!

All's well that ends well, then.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Very happy for you! Hope you enjoy a drink or two to relax from all the stress you've had today!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Very happy for you! Hope you enjoy a drink or two to relax from all the stress you've had today!
+1 ^ very happy for you too
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Goldorak
To add to the discussion : the different discussions you had on the phone with the DL agents representing AF in the US show how incompetent those DL agents are on AF affairs.
There is a special desk (I forget what it's called, something like "International Partner Reissue") who are highly knowledgable. I was transferred to them once when my AF issued itinerary was significantly rescheduled, and they knew exactly what they were doing.

But yeah front line, even the Medallion lines, are generally useless except for booking DL codes operated by AF.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For the purposes of general information and because this arises with some frequency, the EC has issued guidance (which does not have the force of law, but likely comes pretty close) which, as one might expect, now makes clear that EC 261/2004 downgrade compensation is 75% of the value of the ticket for the segment which has been downgraded and not for the entire ticket.

This is due to you in cash (or cash equivalent, e.g., bank transfer, prepaid card). You are free to accept a voucher, but if you do, it ought to be for more than the cash amount as you are losing flexibility.

A strong suggestion that you deal with rebooking issues with the various agents and then deal with EC 261/2004 compensation issues after your journey is complete, you are back home and can make the claim through the provided channels. The lone exception would be if the proper amount is offered in the proper form to you on the spot.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Goldorak
To add to the discussion : the different discussions you had on the phone with the DL agents representing AF in the US show how incompetent those DL agents are on AF affairs. We have multiple almost daily examples of that on this forum but your case is really a good one. How can you tell a customer booked in W, having received an e-mail announcing a downgrade to Y, that you are still in W, and then you are in J, and then I don't know, etc etc. Come on, the PNR is obviously annotated in such a case and it's certainly not hard to understand what's happening when you have all the profesisional tools, while we, on this forum, found immediately what was happening and with only information publicly available.
Although there are exceptions, to say that DL agents representing AF in the US are incompetent is an understatement. Some of these agents are barely knowledgeable about DL's own policies.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in
Well, what d'ya know! We are all back in Premium! How about that?!

All's well that ends well, then.
What voucher did you receive by email? (See your OP)
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Although there are exceptions, to say that DL agents representing AF in the US are incompetent is an understatement. Some of these agents are barely knowledgeable about DL's own policies.
One of those incompetent DL agents appears to have unplugged the DL mainframe before going home last night
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
One of those incompetent DL agents appears to have unplugged the DL mainframe before going home last night
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It was an incompetennt DL IT guy who did it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
What voucher did you receive by email? (See your OP)
Just ran into this six month old thread while doing a search.

Sorry, I had missed your question, since this isn't a board I watch frequently.

The answer is that since we ended up back in our PE seats, there was no voucher, and no further mention of it either. I had no idea what that meant in the first place.

The best part about that trip, however, was that on our onward journey a few days later from CDG-DEL, we were all upgraded to J.

Its a heartwarming story after all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.