Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French strikes, strikes, strikes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Yes, missing the first flight (if not cancelled) means all subsequent flights on the itinerary will be automatically canceled. You should take action to prevent this - either by making sure your friend does fly the booked segments rather than taking the train, or, by calling AF and trying to convince them to accept dropping the first leg from the itin. The first option probably has the greater chance of success.. (Though do try to give AF a call - perhaps they are willing to be flexible).
Indeed. She should be able to change her itinerary for free, because of the strike. So she MUST call AF or her ticket will be cancelled. Besides, and worth checking...BIQ-ORY (BIQ-ORY requires a transfer between airports, or is it BIQ-CDG as mentioned later in the same post?) is often carried out by HOP, and they are not on strike.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Zembla
Indeed. She should be able to change her itinerary for free, because of the strike. So she MUST call AF or her ticket will be cancelled. Besides, and worth checking...BIQ-ORY (BIQ-ORY requires a transfer between airports, or is it BIQ-CDG as mentioned later in the same post?) is often carried out by HOP, and they are not on strike.
Yes, she will be transferring airports. She said got a good deal that included that inconvenience.

I'm confused about what you wrote about HOP. The AF website doesn't reveal that HOP is the carrier so I went to HOP's website to verify.

All 6 of their flights today, for example, between BIQ and ORY state "HOP (flight #) operated by Air France". Of those 6, 4 are cancelled. So HOP seems to be honoring the strike.

So far, only 1 flight for tomorrow, the first one, is cancelled. I saw that it was cancelled last night.

Yes, missing the first flight (if not cancelled) means all subsequent flights on the itinerary will be automatically canceled. You should take action to prevent this - either by making sure your friend does fly the booked segments rather than taking the train, or, by calling AF and trying to convince them to accept dropping the first leg from the itin. The first option probably has the greater chance of success.. (Though do try to give AF a call - perhaps they are willing to be flexible).
Thanks. That's what I suspected and have emailed her.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP.
looks like my friends flight is delayed about 3 hours CDG-IKA (AF 738) he hasn't landed yet but which would be his compensation option? Would he be allowed any compensation? This is what i found on the Air France site. Not sure which he qualifies for?

This delay compensation cannot be issued at the airport and therefore you need to contact customer service (see section 5).

Transportation credit voucher amounts (non-refundable):
- A – Flights up to 1,500 km: *€350
- B – Flights within the EU of more than 1,500 km, and all other flights
between 1,500 and 3,500 km: *€500
- C – Non-EU flights of more than 3,500 km, with a delay of more than 4 hours: *€800

Compensation amounts (cash):
- A – Flights up to 1,500 km: *€250
between 1,500 and 3,500 km: *€400
- C – Non-EU flights of more than 3,500 km, with a delay of more than 4 hours: *€600
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: UA
FCO-CDG-SFO

Experience so far:

FCO-CDG-SFO on Sunday 31 July on W fares. The moment we saw the strike was final we booked a refundable hedge flight on Monday on BA via LHR for about the same price; prices have since skyrocketed ex FCO (and presumably other impacted routes).

CDG-SFO is on a 777 which reportedly (according to Hop! notice, not AF) is not affected because only Airbus stock are impacted by the unions in question. I'd love to know if this is fact or fiction. FCO-CDG, however, looked dicey. Many cancellations on FCO-CDG so far and a 1:35 layover in CDG plus a 2E/F terminal change meant that even a minor delay in FCO-CDG would put the long leg at risk. There was a codeshare on Alitalia metal earlier in the day at the same fare so...

I called AF five times from yesterday and was hung up on by the IVR system every time after a few minutes of waiting. This morning I got a CSR after 2-3 minutes and changed the first leg quickly, and and rather cheerfully / helpfully given what must be awful call volume.

All in all not too painful. Yet.

Two questions remain: is CDG-SFO safe (is the Boeing vs. Airbus crew report true?) and figuring out how the mechanics of DoD upgrades to J with miles work. Off to those threads...

Last edited by jato; Jul 29, 2016 at 12:00 pm Reason: clarify BA
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Datapoints on Nice-Paris:
- Yesterday over 30% of lights to CDG and $)% to ORY cancelled
- Today over 30% of flights to CDG and only 15% to ORY. Many of the departing flights had long delays. Some connections must have been tough.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amil
looks like my friends flight is delayed about 3 hours CDG-IKA (AF 738) he hasn't landed yet but which would be his compensation option? Would he be allowed any compensation? This is what i found on the Air France site. Not sure which he qualifies for?

This delay compensation cannot be issued at the airport and therefore you need to contact customer service (see section 5).

- C – Non-EU flights of more than 3,500 km, with a delay of more than 4 hours: *€800

- C – Non-EU flights of more than 3,500 km, with a delay of more than 4 hours: *€600
The distance is over 3,500kms. Compensation is due if the departure took place more than 4 hours after scheduled departure time (closing of doors).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by brunos
The distance is over 3,500kms. Compensation is due if the departure took place more than 4 hours after scheduled departure time (closing of doors).
but if they didn't board prior to closing of doors isnt it 3 hours?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Amil

EC261 doesn't require compensation when there's a strike.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jato
Experience so far:

FCO-CDG-SFO on Sunday 31 July on W fares. The moment we saw the strike was final we booked a refundable hedge flight on Monday on BA via LHR for about the same price; prices have since skyrocketed ex FCO (and presumably other impacted routes).

CDG-SFO is on a 777 which reportedly (according to Hop! notice, not AF) is not affected because only Airbus stock are impacted by the unions in question. I'd love to know if this is fact or fiction. FCO-CDG, however, looked dicey. Many cancellations on FCO-CDG so far and a 1:35 layover in CDG plus a 2E/F terminal change meant that even a minor delay in FCO-CDG would put the long leg at risk. There was a codeshare on Alitalia metal earlier in the day at the same fare so...

I called AF five times from yesterday and was hung up on by the IVR system every time after a few minutes of waiting. This morning I got a CSR after 2-3 minutes and changed the first leg quickly, and and rather cheerfully / helpfully given what must be awful call volume.

All in all not too painful. Yet.

Two questions remain: is CDG-SFO safe (is the Boeing vs. Airbus crew report true?) and figuring out how the mechanics of DoD upgrades to J with miles work. Off to those threads...
for cabin crew, there is no Boeing or Airbus crews. They fly either medium- or long-haul. The medium haul fleet is entirely Airbus. The long-haul fleet is mixed but with a majority of Boeing and cabin crew fly both indifferently.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The morning flights on the Asian sectors are disrupted.
09:50 flight 30 July BKK-CDG was cancelled. It is a B777. I walked by this morning and there were some unhappy people. The photocopy notice on the agent checkin counters say not enough staffing for the flight. The alternative is the KLM 876 flight to AMS and it is booked solid.
The problem is that AF was not making it easy for customers to change earlier. Pax should have been allowed to make changes a week or two weeks ago. The message that only short haul or medium haul flights are being disrupted is misleading. CDG-SIN flight is cancelled for 30 Juilliet too. The PEK-CDG flight is into its 2nd hour of delay as I type. I expect it is suffering crew issues too.

UPDATE: Scheduled - Delayed 161 minutes Last change to status 8 minutes ago
Poor PAX sitting and waiting for the the presumed inevitable cancellation and abandonment

Honestly, I believe this will get worse. Nothing is predictable except the aggravation. Felicitations to personnel of AF for damaging their futures.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Jul 29, 2016 at 9:38 pm Reason: update delay for beijing-cdg flight
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Goldorak
for cabin crew, there is no Boeing or Airbus crews. They fly either medium- or long-haul. The medium haul fleet is entirely Airbus. The long-haul fleet is mixed but with a majority of Boeing and cabin crew fly both indifferently.
Thanks - I was deeply skeptical when I read it.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I understand that the strike can be extended beyond August 2nd? By when could we expect information whether that will happen?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The morning flights on the Asian sectors are disrupted.
09:50 flight 30 July BKK-CDG was cancelled. It is a B777. I walked by this morning and there were some unhappy people. The photocopy notice on the agent checkin counters say not enough staffing for the flight. The alternative is the KLM 876 flight to AMS and it is booked solid.
The problem is that AF was not making it easy for customers to change earlier. Pax should have been allowed to make changes a week or two weeks ago. The message that only short haul or medium haul flights are being disrupted is misleading. CDG-SIN flight is cancelled for 30 Juilliet too. The PEK-CDG flight is into its 2nd hour of delay as I type. I expect it is suffering crew issues too.

UPDATE: Scheduled - Delayed 161 minutes Last change to status 8 minutes ago
Poor PAX sitting and waiting for the the presumed inevitable cancellation and abandonment

Honestly, I believe this will get worse. Nothing is predictable except the aggravation. Felicitations to personnel of AF for damaging their futures.
You describe all in your thread why I avoid flying AF as much as I possibly can; in addition CDG is a horrible airport to transit. However I am sure the French tax payers will make sure AF will survive an this strikes can continue and we can talk about it.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
EC261 doesn't require compensation when there's a strike.
You made that point several times. Would you mind sharing your source?

My understanding is that there is no compensation if that is a strike not under the airline control, such as ATC strike. But AF workers striking are part of AF; that is not " extraordinary circumstances
which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable
measures had been taken." AFAIK, AF has always paid compensation in case of strikes under article 7.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:43 am
Suspended

Hi everyone, I have been through compensation threads but did not find the answer, if I missed something please just redirect me on the proper thread.
I had two flights canceled and I am not sure how Af handles compensation as on their website they said that compensation are due if the rebooked flight leaves at least 1h before or arrives two hours after. Then the amount my be divided by two with EC261 criterion.
- First flight canceled is a domestic one. I ask for a refund, i think I am entitled to nothing.
- Second one instead of BUD-cdg (15.45-18.15) I have been rebooked BUD-MUC-cdg (13.15 - 17 with a great 40m connexion ). I guess I am only entitled to the 500e Voucher divided by two.
One strange thing, My flight was a Mini fare and the agent told me she couldn't rebooked me on a full flex eco ticket on Af or KL which was the only last available seats but she rebooked me on Y on LH...
I am 1 segment left to hit Gold, Do you know if FB is able to credit me the lost segment of my canceled flight ?
Thanks by advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.