Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French strikes, strikes, strikes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any predictions on strikes or no strikes for Paris in mid-late July?
Very little probability - holiday season, normally no strikes from mid-July (weekend before the 14th) until September and la rentrée
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by jsfr
Very little probability - holiday season, normally no strikes from mid-July (weekend before the 14th) until September and la rentrée
The FA union(s) have announced their intention to go on strike from July 27th to August 2nd.

It's still too early to say whether the strike will actually go ahead, but if you want to be on the safe side don't book AF during that period.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by Ditto
If that is what you want, I would suggest calling AF sooner rather than later.
I agree! However, I'm currently pottering about in the Lao PDR, and international phone calls can be a bit jittery - at best.

However, as the ticket is KL stock (outbound was on KL metal), I sent an email to KLM Reservations (via their website) asking for the change I mentioned. Awaiting a reply (maybe a problem as the website directs me to the UK office but the ticket was purchased from the German office).

Que sera, sera! There are actually many options available, SIN-XXX-DUS between early evening of 13th June and small hours 14th June (LH, LX, SQ, etc.), any of which would get me to DUS on time for my onward/homeward trip.

@bodory: I expect to arrive in SIN mid-evening on Saturday 11th June; fancy a jug-of-beer/glass-of-wine downtown SIN later on Saturday evening, or maybe lunch on Sunday? PM me if you're interested - we can celebrate "La Culture des Grèves!" (Trying to explain the concept to my Laotian friend is tricky, to say the least!)

-- Henri
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Henry III
I agree! However, I'm currently pottering about in the Lao PDR, and international phone calls can be a bit jittery - at best.

However, as the ticket is KL stock (outbound was on KL metal), I sent an email to KLM Reservations (via their website) asking for the change I mentioned. Awaiting a reply (maybe a problem as the website directs me to the UK office but the ticket was purchased from the German office).
Then I would suggest social media as the 2nd best option, waiting for them to reply to an e-mail might take more than 3 days before someone even reads it
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ditto
Then I would suggest social media as the 2nd best option, waiting for them to reply to an e-mail might take more than 3 days before someone even reads it
I've heard KLM and AF have a very good social media team. I know DL's twitter was able to move my reservation from JFK-CDG-ZAG to JFK-AMS-ZAG in about an hour... doesn't hurt to try!

Although I am sad I won't be able to try AF's Premium Economy on my way to europe... instead stuck in a normal E seat. Luckily the strike will be over by the time I return so I'll get to try those new seats on the 77E!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
The FA union(s) have announced their intention to go on strike from July 27th to August 2nd.

It's still too early to say whether the strike will actually go ahead, but if you want to be on the safe side don't book AF during that period.
The blue side of this company is really getting annoyed by the french part.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
... as the ticket is KL stock (outbound was on KL metal), I sent an email to KLM Reservations (via their website) asking for the change I mentioned. Awaiting a reply (maybe a problem as the website directs me to the UK office but the ticket was purchased from the German office).
Received an email from KLM Reservations with a new e-ticket (same PNR) for the requested SIN-AMS-DUS route! ^^^

So, the overall outcome is that:
  1. I spend a couple of hours less at DUS
  2. I get an extra Bols Delft Huisje
  3. My fare class has changed from Z to J, so (maybe) some extra miles?

Most excellent service from KLM! Hartelijk Dank.

-- Happy
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Received an email from KLM Reservations with a new e-ticket (same PNR) for the requested SIN-AMS-DUS route! ^^^

So, the overall outcome is that:
  1. I spend a couple of hours less at DUS
  2. I get an extra Bols Delft Huisje
  3. My fare class has changed from Z to J, so (maybe) some extra miles?

Most excellent service from KLM! Hartelijk Dank.
Yes I think you will get more miles. Clearly when the French media talks about who is profiting from this strike, they should mention Henry III
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
French press reports that negotiations have failed and that the pilots' strike will go ahead. One source http://www.lemonde.fr/economie-franc...2_1656968.html

Eminent analysts posting on this forum and who are a reference when it comes to understanding France have hinted that the EURO2016 may now be postponed because there can be no strikes during the Euro2016. Alternatively, the strike will not be called a strike during the duration of the Euro2016, because there can be no strikes during the Euro2016.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Nonsense. There is no way there will be any kind of serious strike between June 10th and July 10th. It is patently unrealistic to think there could be, if you understand France and the dynamics involved.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Jun 9, 2016 at 8:57 am
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Nonsense. There is no way there will be any kind of serious strike between June 10th and July 10th. It is patently unrealistic to think there could be, if you understand France and the dynamics involved.
So... yeah.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
French press reports that negotiations have failed and that the pilots' strike will go ahead. One source http://www.lemonde.fr/economie-franc...2_1656968.html

According to analysts posting on this forum and who are a reference when it comes to understanding France have hinted that the EURO2016 may now be postponed because there can be no strikes during the Euro2016. Alternatively, the strike will not be called a strike during the duration of the Euro2016, because there can be no strikes during the Euro2016.
Wunderbar! Well, I'm booked on AF from CDG-NRT on the 13th. Getting to CDG is ok, my flight is operated by Flybe. I'm hoping they'll prioritise the long-haul flights.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: Flyingblue Platinum, All Accor Platinum, M&M Senator
I had to travel the 11th for an intro-european flight.

Called 2 day ago and they would not refund the ticket.
Called this morning and got full refund for a trip were only first leg was operated by AF (mini fare).

I have the impression they are expecting massive disruptions.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
The blue side of this company is really getting annoyed by the french part.
Yeah, you guys should have merged with the italians from Abu Dhabi back in the days
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by olivedel
Yeah, you guys should have merged with the italians from Abu Dhabi back in the days
Nah. They should have merged with BA.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Has someone edited out my post that said that there would be no strikes that affect the fans attending the matches? I posted here that if one airlines strikes, that won't affect fans ability to attend matches. Management like always will make sure that more important flights are not cancelled.

And so far up to now no one has missed a match. So no affect from any strikes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.