Wiki Posts
Search

When will AF finally allow seat selection for short and medium haul

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
When will AF finally allow seat selection for short and medium haul

Don't you also think that it is high time for AF to allow seat selection during booking for short and medium haul flights?
Old May 22, 2016, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LY777
Don't you also think that it is high time for AF to allow seat selection during booking for short and medium haul flights?
It's been high time for at least a dozen years and they still haven't so I wouldn't hold my breath. One of AF's key specialties is to try and transform every solution into a problem rather than the other way round so you can be sure that they have a list of at least 999 reasons why it would be bad/wrong/impossible/counter-productive to make such pre-selection possible.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Many
Isn't it already possible in C? I have some upcoming flights with AF in European C and have seat allocation for most of them unless I am mistaken.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by bodory
Isn't it already possible in C? I have some upcoming flights with AF in European C and have seat allocation for most of them unless I am mistaken.
Yes in C it is possible.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am a lowly Ivory, but I cannot understand why AF does not try to implement seat selection for its elite+ members. They will all sit in the front, so the argument that there is a risk of substitution within the A320 family is ridiculous. Just open for assignments seats up to a A318 (23 rows). If AF can "block" x rows for C pax and assign them, they could block y rows for elite+ if that makes it easier.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:58 am

AF is weird in that aspect, I have a long-haul C booking with them that includes an AMS-CDG leg, on the way out they have pre allocated 2 rows for C, on the way back they have pre allocated 5 rows.

With KL, they at least always consistently allocate all available rows as C, and then change it at T-72 to make some C rows into Economy Comfort based on the actual booking.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by brunos
They will all sit in the front, so the argument that there is a risk of substitution within the A320 family is ridiculous. Just open for assignments seats up to a A318 (23 rows). If AF can "block" x rows for C pax and assign them, they could block y rows for elite+ if that makes it easier.
I don't think it's for equipment swaps so much as dynamically sizing the C cabin. It's actually harder to block rows for elites since those would presumably be at the front of the cabin, and those are the rows that are dynamic (could be C, could be Y) until the last minute.

Originally Posted by Ditto
AF is weird in that aspect, I have a long-haul C booking with them that includes an AMS-CDG leg, on the way out they have pre allocated 2 rows for C, on the way back they have pre allocated 5 rows.
I've seen the allocation increase as sales require.

With KL, they at least always consistently allocate all available rows as C, and then change it at T-72 to make some C rows into Economy Comfort based on the actual booking.
The problem with that is what if I as a C passenger pick the rearmost C row, and then the airline decides to shrink the cabin?

That said, it seems like a reasonable compromise is to allow seat selection from (say) the exit rows on mainline (or some equivalent position on RJs) back, and allow seat selection within that range. At check-in, the forward non-C rows would open as usual.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by bennos
The problem with that is what if I as a C passenger pick the rearmost C row, and then the airline decides to shrink the cabin?
Then you will get moved to one of the other rows I would imagine, I just select seats in row 2 to make it easy
Old May 25, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The arguments used by AF about the impossibility of assigning Y seats remind me of those we heard about allowing Elite members to board first. They kept insisting that quick turnaround required boarding by rows from the back of the plane. That meant that elite were typically boarding last when there were no more newspapers available nor overhead space. And now they shortened the turnaround and call the skypriority first and all others afterward.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by bennos
Well, so it seems AF does this as well. My flight went from 4 rows with 12 seats occupied to 3 rows at checkin with 5 seats occupied. As part of this, my seat was randomly reassigned (though it existed both before and after), though ultimately for the better.

So, in summary, I give up trying to understand AF here. They should just not assign seats for anyone until checkin
Old May 30, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Has this been implemented?

Can FB elites now select AF seats at any time??? Or other customers pay in advance? Even on shorthaul?

Originally Posted by Flying Blue
AIR FRANCE and KLM standard seat selection

A new way to select your seat in Economy Class

We all have our seating preferences when we fly. A solo traveller, for example, has different needs to a family travelling together. Unfortunately, it has not always been possible to ensure AIR FRANCE and KLM’s most loyal frequent flyers to choose the seat they want. Likewise, families have not always been seated together. To help more passengers get the seat they prefer, AIR FRANCE and KLM are changing the way you reserve seats in Economy.

With this improvement, the following passengers will be able to choose a standard Economy seat any time prior to departure free of charge:
  • Flying Blue Platinum, Gold, Silver, Club 2000 and Skipper members
  • AIR FRANCE and KLM passengers with a Full Flex Economy ticket
AIR FRANCE and KLM will also pre-assign seats free of charge to families with infants or young children and to passengers with limited mobility.

During check-in, all passengers can still choose a standard Economy seat free of charge. Passengers, who wish to reserve a seat before check-in opens, will also have the opportunity to do so as a paid service.

This new method of selecting seats is a real improvement that ensures Flying Blue members can choose from more seats, even close to departure. It’s just one of the many ways that AIR FRANCE and KLM is recognising your loyalty while providing a better travel experience for all.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Can FB elites now select AF seats at any time??? Or other customers pay in advance? Even on shorthaul?
it is still not possible on shorthaul nor medium haul even for FB E/E+, i think i received the email about the change below last december. This is the change where you have to pay 20 euros to select a standard seat in advance on long haul flights (>10hours) if you have no status.

if you take the french version of the page, you will see that they mention that for all other passengers, it costs 20 euros for a standard seat.

i don't know why they don't mention that in the english version and why they don't specify that this applies only to long haul...

https://www.flyingblue.com/news/2254...selection.html
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I just pulled up a reservation I have for December, with two short-haul segments. I'm STE+ which shows as Flying Blue Gold on the AF website. I have my seats for the long-haul flights but the intra-Europe segments still indicate Seat selection at check-in.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
I'm flying CDG-IST on Air France this Friday (connecting on DL metal from DTW). I've called DL and AF (which re-routed me back to DL). I'm SkyTeam+, DM, and I can't get any seat selected. I've read here that there may be new alternatives but not able to select a seat even paying for it. Is seat selection prior to check in a possibility?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
I've read here that there may be new alternatives but not able to select a seat even paying for it. Is seat selection prior to check in a possibility?
Not on medium-haul (unless you fly in C).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.