Carry On, On E90

Old May 22, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Carry On, On E90

Hello forum,

I'll be flying FRA-CDG-TATL in J as STE+.

Last time I did this, FRA-CDG was operated by an A319 or similar, but now it's operated by an E90. I've got a 19" standard roller bag (in addition to my laptop bag)... how will that work at FRA? Are all roller bags valet checked (meaning returned to you upon arrival at CDG)? Will they (need to) fit in the overhead, and then be gate checked (meaning through to the final destination) if they don't (or if space runs out)?

As an aside, I'm fully expecting bus boarding at FRA (and therefore the likelihood that I'll be the 25th or 30th person to board) and the meh arrival experience at 2G. Fortunately I have a 3 hour layover, so that should be enough time to drink enough in the 2E lounge to forget about having been through 2G.

Thanks!

(Sorry if there's a thread on this already, I couldn't find one.)
Old May 23, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
You will probably be able to bring the hand luggage with you on board. In case there is too much hand luggage on the flight, and when boarding your hand luggage is selected to go in the cargo hold, you will able to retrieve it again when leaving the plane.

By the way. The transfer from 2G to 2E will be quite smooth. It's on the way back that it gets less fun, especially if you fancy to visit the "lounge" at 2G.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
You will probably be able to bring the hand luggage with you on board. In case there is too much hand luggage on the flight, and when boarding your hand luggage is selected to go in the cargo hold, you will able to retrieve it again when leaving the plane.
Not on an E190 (no delivery of bags at the foot of the aircraft on this type). If the bags goes to the cargo hold, it will be delivered at bagage claim (in CDG, if final destination or elsewhere if connecting)
Old May 24, 2016, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Thanks for the replies. My preference is to carry on to avoid the usually lengthy wait on arrival in the US for checked bags, but if the bag were to be gate checked anyway then I'd rather check it at the counter not the gate.

Complicating things, the only available seats right now are bulkheads (row 1)...
Old May 24, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
especially if you fancy to visit the "lounge" at 2G.
I once arrived from OTP at 2E-L, then connect to LUX in 2G, I was able to reach the lounge in concourse L, then I did it.

I explained to the lounge dragon and then she let me in and said:

"Oh mais non, a 2G ce n'est pas un salon, pas du tout..."

PS: I didn't know how exactly that will work to stay in 2E-L at that time, but I'm sure I can't do that either arriving in K nor M...
Old May 24, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by tbaiyun
I once arrived from OTP at 2E-L, then connect to LUX in 2G, I was able to reach the lounge in concourse L, then I did it.

I explained to the lounge dragon and then she let me in and said:

"Oh mais non, a 2G ce n'est pas un salon, pas du tout..."
Old May 24, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by bennos
Thanks for the replies. My preference is to carry on to avoid the usually lengthy wait on arrival in the US for checked bags, but if the bag were to be gate checked anyway then I'd rather check it at the counter not the gate.

Complicating things, the only available seats right now are bulkheads (row 1)...
Are you flying in J? On the E90 i have often seen the bins upfront closed on boarding in order to reserve the space for pax in J, so that should quite improve your chances of avoiding a gate-check.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joyu12
Are you flying in J? On the E90 i have often seen the bins upfront closed on boarding in order to reserve the space for pax in J, so that should quite improve your chances of avoiding a gate-check.
Yes, J. I'll also try to get out of row 1 if something opens up.

Failing that, my time in India taught me how to get to the front of a crowd
Old May 27, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Well, the shocking news is that we actually used a jetway at FRA! I can't remember the last time that happened. Boarding went smoothly, and the plane ended up being not quite full, so overhead space was not an issue. I also noticed that the bins over row 1 are quite large, extending past the bulkhead and over a neighboring closet. Nice design.

2G was the usual, but on the hike from the bus stop near 2F to my departure gate at 2L, I noticed a construction area just as you cross into 2L, saying something like "an improved connection to 2G coming summer 2016". Has this been described elsewhere? I'm guessing it's a closer bus stop, and not anything fancier?
Old May 27, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by bennos
Well, the shocking news is that we actually used a jetway at FRA! I can't remember the last time that happened. Boarding went smoothly, and the plane ended up being not quite full, so overhead space was not an issue. I also noticed that the bins over row 1 are quite large, extending past the bulkhead and over a neighboring closet. Nice design.

2G was the usual, but on the hike from the bus stop near 2F to my departure gate at 2L, I noticed a construction area just as you cross into 2L, saying something like "an improved connection to 2G coming summer 2016". Has this been described elsewhere? I'm guessing it's a closer bus stop, and not anything fancier?
Lucky , i got the bus treatment arriving at FRA this evening.

I am guessing as you that they are adding a bus stop, i don't see what else they could be doing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.