HEL-CDG operated by Finnair, AF flight number, FF question

Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
HEL-CDG operated by Finnair, AF flight number, FF question

Hello all,

I have been trying to find an answer through this forum, and by calling both AF and AY but the info was incredibly vague or non existing.

Basically, I booked an economy ticket from MAD to HEL through KLM (Well it was a KLM ticket, booked through one of the comparison websites), and my first 2 legs (MAD-AMS-HEL) are operated and marketed by KLM. The return journey is marketed through Air France(AF flight numbers) however the leg HEL-CDG is operated by Finnair. AF only mentions something about Flying Blue on their website, however I am an Elite Plus ST member through AZ.

Apparently, sky priority is not applicable on this flight, which is unfortunate but I am Emerald through OW, I might be able to pass through the OW prio security line.

However, I obviously wish to know if I simply have access into the lounge. I understand the lounge for AF in HEL is the Aspire Lounge, and with my card I should be able to access it. If I read the website of AF correctly, only Flying Blue elite members travelling in Business (weird combination, I always thought that Business Class pax had access to the lounge anyway) have access.

Does someone know the answer to this? Weird combination anyway, ST and OW.

Last edited by AlmostBritish; Jan 27, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Normally, in your situation, you shouldn't have lounge access in HEL. But no harm to try. With a bit of luck...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
AF has hard block on AY HEL-CDG flights and they are treated as Air France ones for mileage earning and awards. I have even used Delta SkyMiles for these Finnair flights.

I was able to get into the Finnair lounge after changing few words with the agent. They try to get you to the other lounge. I was in business.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I flew HEL-CDG booked by Air France and operated by Finnair many times. No problems with lounge access in HEL (use Air France / KLM lounge, not Finnair's), my status was on the boarding pass and you get your sky priority as well (although I was Finnair Silver by the time I was FB Gold, so not sure if that influences that).
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys, really appreciate it.

One last question, service wise, will it be like the paid AY service, or like AF?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
I flew HEL-CDG booked by Air France and operated by Finnair many times. No problems with lounge access in HEL (use Air France / KLM lounge, not Finnair's), my status was on the boarding pass and you get your sky priority as well (although I was Finnair Silver by the time I was FB Gold, so not sure if that influences that).
Yes, but you are Flying Blue, OP is AZ FFP. I think that our lounge access is by virtue of a bilateral agreement between AF and AY for their respective frequent flyers only (and holtju2 by virtue of travelling in C!) and as Goldorak mentions, in theory, the OP won't have access to the lounge. I also do not think he will get miles.

In Y, it is normal AY paid service. You get free tea, coffee, water, or blueberry juice, everything else is for a pay. In C, however, AY meals are nicer than AF's.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes, but you are Flying Blue, OP is AZ FFP. I think that our lounge access is by virtue of a bilateral agreement between AF and AY for their respective frequent flyers only (and holtju2 by virtue of travelling in C!) and as Goldorak mentions, in theory, the OP won't have access to the lounge. I also do not think he will get miles.
that's exactly it. I said no lounge access because OP is AZ Elite Plus. If he would have been FB Elite Plus, it would have been different.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
that's exactly it. I said no lounge access because OP is AZ Elite Plus. If he would have been FB Elite Plus, it would have been different.
It's unfortunate really, but I am sure I can talk myself into it. Did it in Amsterdam as well when I was flying Iberia back to Madrid. There is always a way.

I have to admit that the Finnair service is pretty good.

Thanks all
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by AlmostBritish
It's unfortunate really, but I am sure I can talk myself into it. Did it in Amsterdam as well when I was flying Iberia back to Madrid. There is always a way.
It not clear to me what you did in AMS going to MAD on IB and to what extent it is relevant to the question you asked in this thread, but if there is a way, just go. And please report here what finally happened.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlmostBritish
Good to be optimistic.
I doubt that you could get into the AMS KL lounge based on your AZ status on a flight on Iberia Express. But you probably used your BA Gold to enter the BA lounge.
Whether that example is relevant to your forthcoming flight is doubtful. But no harm in trying.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I had no problems accessing the HEL lounge as a DL elite on an AF coded flight (ticket issued by DL, granted this was over a year ago). My oneworld boarding pass even had SKYPRIORITY printed on it I also got DL miles from the flight, but that might have been a fluke.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by bennos
I had no problems accessing the HEL lounge as a DL elite on an AF coded flight (ticket issued by DL, granted this was over a year ago). My oneworld boarding pass even had SKYPRIORITY printed on it I also got DL miles from the flight, but that might have been a fluke.
It wasn't a fluke. This is not AF-AY codeshare but rather HARD BLOCK. AF sells their inventory for these AY flights as they please.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
With this flight can you earn segments with AF?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by AurelAF96
With this flight can you earn segments with AF?
Yes, if booked under AF code.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.