Booked Business KLM/AF, passed onto low cost carrier

Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
It makes sense to double check short-haul segments on international itineraries with AF. Recently I saved a couple thousand dollars on the return portion of a CDG-IAD flight because the non-stop did not have discounted business class available. Thus, I asked my travel agent to book CDG-JFK-DCA which had Z class available on the transatlantic portion. Now when I look on the itinerary it states that the DL-partner operated CRJ flight JFK-DCA lists "La Premiere" as the cabin service because the flight segment booked into Delta P Class. Obviously, I never believed for a minute that AF would provide me their "La Premier" service on the short haul DL flight or any JFK transfer assistance that they may offer "La Premier" passengers.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
That's a glitch because in US the domestic business class is called "first class" and has fares F, P etc. - it is however a better hard product than Y on every plane.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7ľł © ™
Originally Posted by BA6501
Try using the KLM website.
Really? Is this a just a suggestion or do you know it works?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:35 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Ditto
There should be no issue checking the bags through, although she will most likely need to pick up the AF boarding pass in JNB (or use the AF app)
I received both boarding passes at the Kulula check-in counter in CPT. No problem with the baggage allowance, either.

BTW, BYOB was cash-only ...

Last edited by JOUY31; Apr 13, 2017 at 2:08 am
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
I received both boarding passes at the Kulula check-in counter in CPT. No problem with the baggage allowance, either.
Good to know, it didn't work that way when I used them last year ^
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
It makes sense to double check short-haul segments on international itineraries with AF. Recently I saved a couple thousand dollars on the return portion of a CDG-IAD flight because the non-stop did not have discounted business class available. Thus, I asked my travel agent to book CDG-JFK-DCA which had Z class available on the transatlantic portion. Now when I look on the itinerary it states that the DL-partner operated CRJ flight JFK-DCA lists "La Premiere" as the cabin service because the flight segment booked into Delta P Class. Obviously, I never believed for a minute that AF would provide me their "La Premier" service on the short haul DL flight or any JFK transfer assistance that they may offer "La Premier" passengers.
On DL, P is a fairly expensive FC fare class that might or might not be fully refundable. It's still below full F, which is fully refundable and has last seat availability.

If the aircraft is a CRJ = CRJ-200, there's no FC, but if you have a CRJ-700 or CRJ-900, they have nine and twelve FC seats respectively.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Related but maybe slightly OT.
I have an upcoming AF flight in W (premium economy) USA-CDG-FCO. The entire ticket was purchased direct through AF and all segments read Premium Economy. // UPDATED - The eticket shows all segments in PE, but the App shows the CDG-FCO flight as Economy (correctly)//
I know the CDG-FCO segment has no PE, so I fly Economy. Now, unlike the long haul segment, I cannot preselect my seat on the short flight. I assume because I fall under Economy rules for this segment.
My question is, with a 3 hour layover at CDG, I was hoping to access the lounge (for a fee). This is a Premium Economy benefit, I believe not offered with Economy fares.
Will I be able to get in?

Last edited by rickg523; Apr 4, 2017 at 10:52 am
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
My question is, with a 3 hour layover at CDG, I was hoping to access the lounge (for a fee). This is a Premium Economy benefit, I believe not offered with Economy fares.
Will I be able to get in?
Yes, but pending availability meaning that they can deny you access if the lounge is too crowded. What time approximately could you be in the 2F lounge ?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, but pending availability meaning that they can deny you access if the lounge is too crowded. What time approximately could you be in the 2F lounge ?
Thank you.
Understood and expected that availability is limited. (I didn't mention it, but I'm lowly Ivoire in FB)
Should be at the lounge around 11.00am on a Sunday morning.
Btw, do you know if Amex Platinum Delta Sky Club access works at the AF lounge? (Doubting it but worth an ask)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you.
Understood and expected that availability is limited. (I didn't mention it, but I'm lowly Ivoire in FB)
Should be at the lounge around 11.00am on a Sunday morning.
Btw, do you know if Amex Platinum Delta Sky Club access works at the AF lounge? (Doubting it but worth an ask)
You should be fine on a sunday morning at 11 am (shouldn't be too busy). For the DL Amex : no, it won't work.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Speaking of Amex, this is one issue where if the airline, Expedia and all other involved parties keep piling onto each other and pointing to one another to blame someone they come in quite handy. I would've simply called my Amex rep, explained the situation and asked for a refund. In the past they've always taken care of issues like this.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be fine on a sunday morning at 11 am (shouldn't be too busy). For the DL Amex : no, it won't work.
Good news. And of course I understand that there's no guarantees. As a backup, I was considering taking a cabin at the Yotel in 2E ( I'm traveling with someone so the cost isn't a lot more). I'm sending AF a tweet asking if there's a way to contact the 2F lounges to see if they're crowded before we leave 2E.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Good news. And of course I understand that there's no guarantees. As a backup, I was considering taking a cabin at the Yotel in 2E ( I'm traveling with someone so the cost isn't a lot more). I'm sending AF a tweet asking if there's a way to contact the 2F lounges to see if they're crowded before we leave 2E.
Thanks again.
I don't think there is a way to contact them before you leave 2E, but I am sure it will be no problem on a Sunday at 11am. And do not forget there are 2 lounges in 2F (one in each pier), so worst case scenario is that one lounge is full (again, very very unlikely) and you go to the other one.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
so worst case scenario is that one lounge is full (again, very very unlikely) and you go to the other one.
Maybe after today, as one of the two lounges has re-opened after a 2-month closure for renovations.

When I last passed through 2F - on a Sunday morning at 11am as it turns out! - there was standing-room only in the other lounge.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 5, 2017 at 2:10 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.