AF 55 IAD to CDG diverted to Halifax

Apparently phoned in bomb threats..

Be safe!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
thoughts go out to all those onboard. Scary times,
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: *A, PD
The flight diverted to Halifax and the people disembarked and taken to secure part of airport, main runway is closed but the secondary is still open as per:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ifax-1.3323777
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
2 AF Flights diverted to for security reasons

Hoax?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
Hoax?
My post is not, the phoned in bomb threats might be...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:56 pm

Between this and the stadium in Hanover yesterday, it's looking like we may be in for a lot of last minute closures of events, aircraft diversion, etc., due to what appears to be hoax threats.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
There was a threatening call concerning flight AF065 from Washington.

As there's no AF065 departing from IAD (AF055) but one from LAX, AF and the authorities decided to divert both aircrafts.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lovely. The idiots doing this can't even look up a flight schedule correctly to find which flight number corresponds to which route?

USA media made it sound like separate threats to two distinct flights.

Did either flight have problems with crew timing out due to the diversions? OTOH, I could understand crew being upset by the circumstances and perhaps not feeling fully fit to work the next portion of the flight.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:55 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I was on AF 65. Crew handled it well and DL ground crew in SLC did a great job. Not an experience I would care to repeat. Pilot made a very hard landing so mechanics were looking for any structural damage. All pax interviewed by FBI
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I was on AF 65. Crew handled it well and DL ground crew in SLC did a great job. Not an experience I would care to repeat. Pilot made a very hard landing so mechanics were looking for any structural damage. All pax interviewed by FBI
Sorry to hear that. Did you lose a day in SLC? [In a weird way, I think I would have been interested by the type of questions the investigators were asking, but I'm reluctant to ask you about that on the internet.]
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...I could understand crew being upset by the circumstances and perhaps not feeling fully fit to work the next portion of the flight.
Wasn't there a case in the past few years (maybe several?) that highlighted the tough spot a cabin crew can be in when their opinion on "safe to fly" differs from the airline's? Anyone know AF/other airline's policy on letting cabin crew go off duty after a security incident that shakes them up, despite their being still in their duty period?

Thanks for speaking up, obscure2k. Would you be willing to describe the events on landing/debrief/traveling on in greater detail? This may become a more frequent occurrence; many of us would benefit from the intel.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Pilot made a very hard landing so mechanics were looking for any structural damage.
The aircraft was likely very heavy with the fuel load (I don't think they had time to dump fuel in case of a bomb threat ?), hence the hard landing.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
The aircraft was likely very heavy with the fuel load (I don't think they had time to dump fuel in case of a bomb threat ?), hence the hard landing.
Good point.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
I am going to fly AF/KLM to South America (from KUL) in a week's time. Getting a little worried about all these incidents, and the extra security at CDG when I change flights. Anxiously watching this space for any updates.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
So, what does this event tell us about the level of confidence the 'system' has in airport security?

It would seem that, despite the huge expenditure on, and significant inconvenience caused by, the tight security checks at airports (and I'm not in any way questioning the need for these), any would-be supporter of the terrorists can cause major disruption by making a simple telephone call!

Is there really so little trust in the effectiveness of TSA operations that we are prepared to so freely offer such a 'weapon of mass disruption' to the terrorists?

-- Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.