Community
Wiki Posts
Search

France to reinstate intra-Schengen border controls for one month

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

France to reinstate intra-Schengen border controls for one month

http://www.politico.eu/article/france-to-reinstate-border-controls-during-cop21/
Implementatation isn't clear yet, but this could be a hassle at CDG for Schengen arrivals and even Schengen to non-Schengen connections. Given that it will start in a week, and that CDG isn't organized any more for so many passport-controlled flights, I'd rather arrive early, and if possible schedule enough time for connections..
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That will be quite a hassle indeed. But like the article says - this has happened at each one of these events, I believe a year ago the same thing also happened in Amsterdam for similar reasons. Therefore ADP could/should have been able to plan for this.

I would expect people transferring within 2F to be not be affected..but when transferring between 2F and 2G Shengen for instance..you would be out of luck.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
How has this been executed in the past? I'm flying out and into 2G in a few weeks, how will they separate flights to other Schengen states from those within France?

The only way I see to do this is to have these flights board by bus from one of the terminals with PAF controls.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I believe a year ago the same thing also happened in Amsterdam for similar reasons. Therefore ADP could/should have been able to plan for this.
Having a plan on paper is one thing. Having staff who are trained and have rehearsed the plan enough and identified potential pitfalls is quite another...
Old Nov 7, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
Having a plan on paper is one thing. Having staff who are trained and have rehearsed the plan enough and identified potential pitfalls is quite another...
Indeed. It will create chaos on arrival at most CDG terminals.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Likely it will get reinstated again this summer for the Euros. But more so on the trains, ferries and certain border crossings.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
I suspect it will be limited to be passport controls in the jetways on arrival....

Last edited by JOUY31; Nov 14, 2015 at 12:52 pm Reason: quote of off-topic comments removed
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsfr
Back on topic - I suspect it will be limited to be passport controls in the jetways on arrival....
That would still require a significative number of PAF policemen, and during the COP21 police forces will be stretched thin. Plus, that would then be real theater without any check against any database to catch those activists and terrorists.. Curious how that will turn out..
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jsfr
Back on topic - I suspect it will be limited to be passport controls in the jetways on arrival....
I would expect the same. Just spot checks on some flights.

Originally Posted by ChangingNappies
Plus, that would then be real theater without any check against any database to catch those activists and terrorists.. Curious how that will turn out..
You can be sure that they will know exactly who they are looking for when they target certain flights.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
With what happened tonight in Paris, we can expect more than just a few random control on some Schengen flights.
The emergency state has just been instated and borders are closed...
My thoughts goes to all the victims of tonight...R.I.P.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Hope those of you who are in Paris are OK. My thoughts as well to all the victims and their families.
Stay safe!

Just out of curiosity, what does "borders closed" exactly means?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Hope those of you who are in Paris are OK. My thoughts as well to all the victims and their families.
Stay safe!

Not sure. Could be reinstatement of national border controls to check even for intra-Scehngen international travel into and out of France. Or could be some sort of general closing of cross-border traffic in one or both directions across a French national boundary.

Awful tragedy, all these outrageous deaths and injuries.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: FB, M&M
Courage aux Parisiens - on pense à vous!

As someone who used to live very close to the border, I doubt that the border closing will be substantial. It's completely trivial to cross on foot in many places. In other places even checking 5 or 10% of the cars leads to hour-long waiting times. Not something you can do for more than 1-2 days.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
My thoughts goes to all the victims of tonight...R.I.P.
and mine.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Schengen controls reinstated at land and air borders. At airports, all international flights have ID check by police on departure and arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.