Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Lounge Access?

We are flying SEA-ORD first class on AS, and ORD-CDG on Air France.

As we are flying on award tickets, our connections are not ideal--but are rather looooong.

We are hoping for lounge access, especially at ORD, as that is our longest layover.

We don't have status with any airline--so what are our options?
PS: I have done a forum search, and read many posts, but are still not sure.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:31 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
What class of service are you flying for your Air France segment? Also first class?

(Your AS flight is not going to provide you with any complimentary lounge access.)

Edit to add: Your Air France flight will be departing from terminal 5. If you have Priority Pass, then you'll have two lounge options there.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 7, 2015 at 8:37 am
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks JV1024
We are flying business class from ORD-CDG "O" class according to our itinerary.

So we won't have long access in Seattle based on our first class "A" ticket from SEA to ORD? Rats--we have 4 hours to kill!

Does the fact that we are flying on award tickets make the difference?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:51 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thevacationqueen
Thanks JV1024
We are flying business class from ORD-CDG "O" class according to our itinerary.

So we won't have long access in Seattle based on our first class "A" ticket from SEA to ORD? Rats--we have 4 hours to kill!

Does the fact that we are flying on award tickets make the difference?
Since you're flying business on that long-haul segment, you should have access to the Air France lounge in ORD T5. (We'll move this over to the Air France forum shortly so the experts there can advise you properly of your departure and arrival lounge options.)

In general, no US carrier grants lounge access solely based on domestic first class travel. Exceptions to this rule vary from airline to airline and often apply to premium routings such as domestic transcontinental flights. Again, varies from airline to airline whether award ticket matters.

Even though AS is not formally in the SkyTeam alliance, I believe you may have AS lounge access if you're on a premium AF ticket. But again, I'll defer to the AF gurus.

But since AF is the most "significant" carrier on your itinerary, we'll send your thread over to the experts in the AF forum to provide further information. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 7, 2015 at 8:57 am
Old Nov 7, 2015, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks again JY!

According to the AS lounge info--lounge access is granted with a paid "A" fare, but not with a paid upgrade. We are neither, as we are on an award ticket.

We'll just ask when we get there--it's really not a major deal, but 4 hours is a long time to kill!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
What's sure is that you'll have access to AF lounge in ORD T5. In SEA, well I'm not sue one way or another. You may have a chance as you are in F for the SEA-ORD leg and because you are connecting to a long-haul in J, but AS is not in Skyteam so...Overall I think it will be no in SEA but you have nothing to loose to try.
Another satellite remark : you say you fly AF between ORD and CDG. Keep in mind that during the winter season, it's DL who's operating the flight. But it still departs from T5 and uses the AF lounge.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks goldorak......
We are flying next August--so the flight should still be AF and not DL.

I'll certainly give it a try in SEA, we might get lucky.

I'd rather have lounge access at ORD than SEA--as we have a very long layover there, and ORD is not my favorite airport!
Thanks again,
TVQ
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks goldorak......

I'd rather have lounge access at ORD than SEA--as we have a very long layover there, and ORD is not my favorite airport!
Thanks again,
TVQ
Indeed, it will be AF-operated in august. For ORD T5, I agree it is a very boring terminal. However, I haven't been since the renovation and it seems that they gave done a good job. But definitely better to have lounge access if you have a long connection.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC your AS FC ticket should enable you to use the AS BR lounge in SEA, but there might be an exception for award tickets. You might want to check the rules either on the AS website or in the AS forum on FT.

If you have an AF same day business class ticket, you might be able to use the DL SC at SEA on that basis, although the fact that your connecting flight isn't SkyTeam operated could be a problem. Check the rules on delta.dumb or see whether there's any experience on this specific situation reported on the DL FT forum. In this case, the fact that you have an award ticket should matter, provided that you are confirmed in business class on the longhaul flight, although it would be better if you already have your boarding pass, either from AS or by doing OLCI.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
If you have an Amex Platinum card, you should also get free access to the Centurion 'Studio' at SEA.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
As others have mentioned, You'll definitely have access in ORD.

In SEA, you might be able to use the DL lounge by presenting your ORD-CDG boarding pass. The policies say that with a same-day international boarding pass in business class on a Skyteam carrier you get access. I don't believe there is a requirement for it to be from that airport.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
As others have mentioned, You'll definitely have access in ORD.

In SEA, you might be able to use the DL lounge by presenting your ORD-CDG boarding pass. The policies say that with a same-day international boarding pass in business class on a Skyteam carrier you get access. I don't believe there is a requirement for it to be from that airport.
There's no requirement that the international flight depart from the same airport, but it might make a difference that the OP has an AS rather than DL domestic connecting segment.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's no requirement that the international flight depart from the same airport, but it might make a difference that the OP has an AS rather than DL domestic connecting segment.
Indeed. This is the key point here.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thanks goldorak......

Thanks again,
TVQ
I have just seen that the timing of AF ORD flight will change for the next summer season. I hope the new schedule was already loaded in the GDS when you booked, or it could mess up your itinerary.

1/ Schedule change
AF416 CDG-ORD 16:25-18:35 instead of 13:30-15:40
AF489 ORD-CDG 20:20-11:35+1 instead of 17:20-08:35(+1)
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Will be flying Premium Economy LAX/CDG/VCE. Website says Lounge Access may be available for a small fee. Does anyone have more info? Would like access at LAX. Not enough time at CDG, so non-issue.
Thanks for any help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.