Search

Checked baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK, LH
Checked baggage allowance

Hi
I have a economy ticket from Dublin to India.
Generally we get baggage allowance of 23kgs
But this time we got an offer for double allowance
My question is - is there a limit on number of bags allowed within this baggage allowance?
Can we check in 3 bags of 13kgs each for example?
(Etihad and emirates allowed multiple bags)
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It depends if routes to India are piece-or weight-concept. Those have changed a lot during the last 3-4 years. Check your ticket because I'm a bit confused by "you were proposed a double allowance". In which class are you travelling and do you have any status in a Skyteam FFP ? If it is written 2 PC : it means 2 piece of 23 kg each max (so 46kg total). If it is written 23kg, it is the weight concept and so you can have multiple bags for a total of 23 kg.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:40 am
Original Poster

the offer for 2 pc was with the local travel agent
eticket says 2pc
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No - you cannot check a third bag for free.

Each bag can weigh a maximum of 23kg. Your allowance is for 2*23kg bags. This does not mean you can check as many bags as you like, for free, as long as the total weight is less than 46kg. [your baggage allowance is not a 46kg total allowance. It is a 2*23kg allowance]. Even if both bags are [practically] empty and only weigh a kilo or two each - you still only get 2 bags for free.

3*13kg, while a lower total weight, means you have one bag above your limit, which will be charged at a rate of €160 if paid online in advance, or €200 at the airport.

http://www.airfrance.ie/IE/en/local/...hod=jspProcess

Be absolutely certain that your Air France e-ticket shows an allowance of 2 bags per person. In economy, this allowance usually only applies to Flying Blue Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Skyteam Elite and Skyteam Elite Plus members. I, personally, have never heard of a "double baggage" offer, so be certain that the e-ticket you received from Air France (not anything written/produced/printed by your travel agent) says that you are entitled to 2 bags for free.

Retrieve your e-Ticket by looking up your booking on the Air France website.

In case of any discrepancy, it is what is in Air France's record that will apply - not what your Travel Agent told you.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:37 am
Original Poster

yes, i have checked on eticket received in my inbox and on AF site: it says
2: total number of checked baggage items
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
No - you cannot check a third bag for free.

Each bag can weigh a maximum of 23kg. Your allowance is for 2*23kg bags. This does not mean you can check as many bags as you like, for free, as long as the total weight is less than 46kg. [your baggage allowance is not a 46kg total allowance. It is a 2*23kg allowance]. Even if both bags are [practically] empty and only weigh a kilo or two each - you still only get 2 bags for free.

3*13kg, while a lower total weight, means you have one bag above your limit, which will be charged at a rate of €160 if paid online in advance, or €200 at the airport.

http://www.airfrance.ie/IE/en/local/...hod=jspProcess

Be absolutely certain that your Air France e-ticket shows an allowance of 2 bags per person. In economy, this allowance usually only applies to Flying Blue Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Skyteam Elite and Skyteam Elite Plus members. I, personally, have never heard of a "double baggage" offer, so be certain that the e-ticket you received from Air France (not anything written/produced/printed by your travel agent) says that you are entitled to 2 bags for free.

Retrieve your e-Ticket by looking up your booking on the Air France website.

In case of any discrepancy, it is what is in Air France's record that will apply - not what your Travel Agent told you.
"Double allowance" or 2 pieces of checked in luggage is common on long-hauls from/to some countries, back in the good old days (5 years ago) all airlines between TLV and USA offered 2 bags in Y, 3 bags in J and 4 bags in F, recently most of them changed to the normal 1-Y, 2-J, 3-F. Some jurisdictions offer it (Brazil if I remember correctly). maybe it's an Indian thing?
Regardless, if you are entitled to 2 bags according to the piece concept, you will not be able to check in a third bag for free even if the weight of bags 1-3 combined is below 46KG....
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the OP is talking about something different - a promotion, or offer, whereby the baggage allowance was doubled.

Originally Posted by bittihuduga
But this time we got an offer for double allowance
If you look at the baggage calculator (which I linked to), Dublin to India only qualifies for 1 free 23kg bag.

I have never heard of such a "double baggage" promotion before; and I wonder if the travel agent perhaps used Flying Blue miles to book this, or just charged anyway for a second bag without calling attention to the fact...

(Another explanation could be that the OP is booked in Premium Economy, rather than Economy Class...)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

im on R outbound and V inbound on longhaul. so economy.
i have seen the travel agent selling tickets with this offer frequently.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting to hear that. I didn't know such offers exist. But I guess it's a handy incentive to book.

I would definitely recommend you print and carry the e-ticket with you for both the outward and inward journeys. Just in case any check-in agent decides to hassle you for payment. We have a thread running in parallel where someone was incorrectly forced to pay for a second bag.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

thanks for the inputs.
i understand its 23 * 2 - number of pieces and not baggage weight.
I am spoilt by Etihad who allowed 3 pieces for 30kg allowance.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bittihuduga
i understand its 23 * 2 - number of pieces and not baggage weight.
Well - the weight is also important.

If either bag is over 23kg, you risk being charged for exceeding the individual weight limit [even if the total weight of both is below 46kg].

You should, of course, be first given the opportunity to repack and to balance the weight between the bags.

But neither bag should be over 23kg, or you risk being charged.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

thanks mate..
got that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.