Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF's situation likely to be further dented at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have absolutely no idea why I wrote Volotea!!!!

Re-XL, it seems that their operations are currently split between T3 and T2A! http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/en/pa...s/airlines/XLF I only knew them at T3 but I expect it is a migration process and that soon they will be all concentrated in 2A?
Long-haul operations are in T2A and Medium-haul in T3 I believe mainly because of tour operators presence in T3.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Mokshu
It's not slot restricted, but to get quality slots that's more difficult

Regarding costs, the main rise would come from :
- handling (~2x more expensive) ;
- taxi time ;
- turnaround time (adios 20mins) ;
- maintenance (if needed) ;
- airport charges
- etc.

So it's purely an increase in DOC and of course they have a lighter structure than any other operator in CDG. But that's really a huge step to embrace for FR. But I would not be suprise if they do !
If Ryanair wants to grow, they do not have any other choice.

If you subtract the income from airport subsidies (to be curtailed by EU law soon) and Sale&LB (also pretty much a thing from the past) you see why Ryanair is asking airports like MUC or CDG for help or to rephrase the status quo in favour of Ryanair, why all those airports want Ryanair service...

And judging from what is really happening, it is more Ryanair looking for ways into real primary airports and not that all those airports are desperately begging Ryanair to fly there...

Hence, we see that Ryanair has to change its strategy and that its cost strcuture will increase massively, it will still be well below AF or even LH (incl. the Wingies) but not where it is today.

And again, today they do not really make money flying people, so in case the EU3 do their homework the gap will become smaller and with a smaller gap I do see the location economies of the EU3 prevailing at most airports.

And in case Ryanair loses out on the pilot contract front, it would be even worse for them...

The Ryanair model worked for the first 20 years of deregulation, because MOL understood the framework of the new market better than anyone, but I do not really see him offering the same unique value proposition when he has to play by the rules we will (very likely) see in the next couple of years.

On the other hand, if players like AB will leave the market, there is a lot of capacity to take over without having to adjust a lot....well, crossing an active runway might be new for a lot of Ryanair pilots and CDG is infamous for this exercise. Herb told LAX exactly what they had to deliver in order to make Southwest fly there, I do not see MOL exercising the same power at CDG or MUC...

Last edited by FD1971; Jun 1, 2015 at 9:19 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by olivedel
Long-haul operations are in T2A and Medium-haul in T3 I believe mainly because of tour operators presence in T3.
Tour operators are also present in 2C (which is now joined with 2A). They are at the extreme left (equivalent place of the AF arrival lounge but on the other side of 2C)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Tour operators are also present in 2C (which is now joined with 2A). They are at the extreme left (equivalent place of the AF arrival lounge but on the other side of 2C)
My bad, indeed, I just don't know this place.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
How on earth experienced travellers may consider FR a choice for their trips (and those that presumably they love) is something that fascinates me.
More fascinating is to read about "c'mon, when it was the last time you flew with them?" in an attempt to ... (find a verb that suits you most) their choice.
Then the vast majority of them complain that the good old days of aviation are gone.
Oh Really?

Ulxima
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I remain very skeptical about FR starting flights from CDG. Very long taxi times, very high taxes (and ADP doesn't need FR so they will never accept the usual FR racket they practice in all airports they serve) so it will be very far from their business model. It is important to remember that when they started to establish some bases in major airports (FCO, BCN, BRU), the major airline at those airports (AZ, IB, SN) was either on the verge of collapse (AZ) or in major restructuring (IB) or weak and a low level of operations (SN) and so FR came to fill the gap and the airport operator was likely "happy" (as long as this word fits with any relationship with FR ).
Perhaps FR think that AF is now in the same situation as AZ, IB, SN were a few years ago.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Many
Here we are : http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...ly-486112.html

Ryanair has requested ORY slots to Cohor. Cohor will probably not grant the request because ORY is saturated. Still, the pressure on legacy (not to name AF) is there.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Interesting strategy. I hope that they get those two slots even though it is unlikely that they will. They will likely keep the pressure on AF to continue to operate loss making flights just not to surrender the slots. I also wonder whether FR (and for that matter others) might also have a legal case against AF just trying to give its slots to its subsidiary TO to the extent that it is a fairly different business proposition from the one which received the slots in the first place. If I'm not mistaken slots are allocated to airlines per se so it is not clear to me whether redistributing within a group is good enough.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Interesting strategy. I hope that they get those two slots even though it is unlikely that they will. They will likely keep the pressure on AF to continue to operate loss making flights just not to surrender the slots.
Well, have we not be told that AF does not fear anything whatsoever from FR and do not consider them a competitor at all. So surely they would not mind one iota if FR were to get those slots? Heck, within that logic, AF should even give them away to FR so as to lower their costs while at the same time preventing U2 from obtaining them?

I also wonder whether FR (and for that matter others) might also have a legal case against AF just trying to give its slots to its subsidiary TO to the extent that it is a fairly different business proposition from the one which received the slots in the first place. If I'm not mistaken slots are allocated to airlines per se so it is not clear to me whether redistributing within a group is good enough.
the Slots Regulation explicitly allows airlines to transfer slots among companies within the same group. It is therefore perfectly legal for AF , KL and TO to transfer slots among themselves to their heart's content. The relevant provision in the Reg is Art. 8a(1)(b)(i).
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by NickB
the Slots Regulation explicitly allows airlines to transfer slots among companies within the same group. It is therefore perfectly legal for AF , KL and TO to transfer slots among themselves to their heart's content. The relevant provision in the Reg is Art. 8a(1)(b)(i).
Yes. And some airlines tend to be very creative to "lend" their slots to other airlines by fake code-sharing. Do you really think Vueling has that many slots on its own in ORY ?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Many
Another bad news for AF : http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...er-486515.html

TX is launching a new low cost long haul airline. Target routes from France are : Caribbean of course but also Canada and the US.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by bodory

TX is launching a new low cost long haul airline. Target routes from France are : Caribbean of course but also Canada and the US.
It's not a bad news for AF. It's a bad news for UU, SE and SS. The new entity of TX should wipe out competition due to new light structure, new crew agreements, brand new aircrafts built for those routes, etc.

The only danger for AF is that if UU/SE/SS suffer too much, their slots will be freed in ORY/CDG and that would bring competition.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bodory

Originally Posted by Mokshu
It's not a bad news for AF. It's a bad news for UU, SE and SS. The new entity of TX should wipe out competition due to new light structure, new crew agreements, brand new aircrafts built for those routes, etc.

The only danger for AF is that if UU/SE/SS suffer too much, their slots will be freed in ORY/CDG and that would bring competition.
Indeed AF is not the only one concerned by this news. But overall, I really wonder how a threat this is. Marc Rochet, CEO of TX has turn down so many airlines, that it is a miracle that TX is earning money at the moment. So he might drive the entire group to bankruptcy with this new "idea"
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I am not familiar at all with what is going on in the heads of Marc Rochet and executives at SS, UU, and so on.

I wonder though to what extent the creation of a new low cost airline is his plan B after he couldn't merge with Corsair. He might have preferred joining them, now he has to beat them.

If I remember correctly the Corsair merger failed because of Corsair employees opposing it, going on strike, etc. Now they have to deal with a new competitor. Not sure how much better that is for their future. When going on strike they simply hadn't realised that they prevent a certain change from happening, but that they would not be able to defend status quo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.