Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF's situation likely to be further dented at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: Many
The article is now online : http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...ce-488359.html
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:24 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...lans-orly.html

Initial target date for the junction building: 2018, perhaps overly optimistic, now revised to 2019, according to the article quoted by bodory.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
U2 operations at ORY are not that big anyways.
I think the only "Hall" that might have space for boarding and check-in (after the end of refurbishment of the check-in area) would be hall 1.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HasteFlier
I agree - unless AF/Hop gives up some slots
This is not a question of slots as such. Slots only relate to runway usage. It is space in the terminal which is the issue.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
This is not a question of slots as such. Slots only relate to runway usage. It is space in the terminal which is the issue.
Slots are permissions to use a runway and airport infrastructure. It typically has two components. First, and more importantly at some airports, the landing/takeoff rights at a specific time (possibly for specific days). Second, the use of a a specific infrastructure (e.g. a specific terminal) for a specific type of aircraft (e.g. less than 150 pax). The second component is easier to modify, but it can be quite constraining at some airports like LHR.
see for example:
http://www.acl-uk.org/UserFiles/File...esentation.pdf

I do not know about ORY. But IAG (including Vuelling) is using ORY West. Will they be moved?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Slots are permissions to use a runway and airport infrastructure. It typically has two components. First, and more importantly at some airports, the landing/takeoff rights at a specific time (possibly for specific days). Second, the use of a a specific infrastructure (e.g. a specific terminal) for a specific type of aircraft (e.g. less than 150 pax). The second component is easier to modify, but it can be quite constraining at some airports like LHR.
see for example:
http://www.acl-uk.org/UserFiles/File...esentation.pdf

I do not know about ORY. But IAG (including Vuelling) is using ORY West. Will they be moved?
Yes, it is a permission to use the airport infrastructure but "for the purpose of take-off and landing as allocated by a co-ordinator in accordance with [Reg 95/93]". AIUI, as far as the legal position is concerned, there is no such thing as a "Terminal 5 slot" at LHR or an "Orly-Ouest" slot at ORY.

Of course, you do need terminal space to be able to use a slot but it is not part of the slot as such. You do not surrender a slot and acquire a new one when you just change terminal. You keep the very same slot. For instance, slot usage statistics to calculate grand-fathered rights would be based on usage regardless of whether there is a change of terminal. By contrast, if you change take-off/landing times, you have a different slot for the purpose of the legislation and therefore slot entitlement.

Similarly, let us say that AF decides to return slots to the slot pool. When the co-ordinator decides to re-allocate these slots, they will not necessarily be associated with the terminal that AF used. Which terminal to be used with those slots will depend on a number of factors, capacity being obviously the prime factor.

Hence why I stated that this is not an issue of slots as such: if HOP were to move to ORY-S and U2 to ORY-W, for instance, this would not involve any exchange of "slots".
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by olivedel
U2 operations at ORY are not that big anyways.
not that small and one of the main operator of the platform, after of course AF/A5.

Originally Posted by olivedel
I think the only "Hall" that might have space for boarding and check-in (after the end of refurbishment of the check-in area) would be hall 1.
I don't know where they'll put them : very full with IB/VY/TP + a few AF flights remaining there. I was in this hall last friday and it was an overcrowded zoo.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
AF's situation likely to be further dented at CDG

Maybe they'll move IB, VY and TP as well as BA to the South Terminal. That frees up space in Hall 1 and also a bit in Hall 3.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by NickB
Yes, it is a permission to use the airport infrastructure but "for the purpose of take-off and landing as allocated by a co-ordinator in accordance with [Reg 95/93]". AIUI, as far as the legal position is concerned, there is no such thing as a "Terminal 5 slot" at LHR or an "Orly-Ouest" slot at ORY.
Apologies, I used the wrong term! Thanks for correcting me
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HasteFlier
Apologies, I used the wrong term! Thanks for correcting me
No worries and no need to apologise.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by bodory
It will happen for S16, I can confirm.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Mokshu
Quote:

Originally Posted by bodory

The article is now online : http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...ce-488359.html

It will happen for S16, I can confirm.
Are you also aware of other airlines moving terminals?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Business Traveller
Norwegian has announced new routes from Paris CDG to three US airports, with fares starting from €179 one-way.

The low-cost carrier will launch four times-weekly flights to New York JFK from July 29, twice weekly services to LA from July 30, and weekly flights to Fort Lauderdale (for Miami) starting August 4 – for full schedules see below.

Paris CDG Schedules

New York JFK
•Departs Paris CDG at 2015 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, arriving into JFK at 2230
•Departs New York at 2359, arriving into Paris at 1325 the following day

Los Angeles
•Departs Paris CDG at 1530 on Tuesday and Saturday, arriving into LA at 1815
•Departs LA at 2015, arriving into Paris at 1555 the following day

Fort Lauderdale
•Departs Paris CDG at 1715 on Thursday, arriving into Fort Lauderdale at 2100
•Departs Fort Lauderdale at 2300, arriving into Paris at 1340 the following day
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Interesting ! On the one hand, i'd tend to say one flight a day to LAX and JFK is not a huge challenge to AF, but it is noteworthy indeed - especially as they could add frequencies if it works.

Is there any report on the effect of previous trans-atlantic DY flights on the incumbent airlines ? (from scandinavia and london) It could be interesting, as we might expect a similar impact.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I saw a CAPA article on the impact of Norwegian's entry on transatlantic routes from Scandinavia. As I recall, SAS actually ended up growing, as the US incumbents in many cases rapidly decreased capacity or dropped routes entirely in response to the competition.

Here's the report

Norwegian's entry grew the market - and SAS also benefitted.

Scandinavia to United States: rolling 12 month two way seat capacity by airline Dec-2012 to Oct-2016

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.