Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be careful you don't get Air France

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'd only fly AF on a TATL J class for the A380.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I'd only fly AF on a TATL J class for the A380.
I'd only do it on the 777s with the new seats, true flat beds with 100% direct aisle access. IIRC exUSA, this means one JFK-CDG flight daily currently.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Easy it was not a $5000 seat and all the flights had DL numbers . In the past you could tell if there were 4 numbers it was another airline . Now lots of DL flights have 4 numbers.

Shame on me for not looking beyond the numbers . Probably would not have made a difference since I would have expected a comparable or better product from AF
When you look at a Delta flight listing on delta.com any flight that is operated by another airline has a superscript number by the DL flight number. The referenced footnote will say "operated by Air France" (or Virgin Atlantic or whatever airline).
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Fine when they actually have a decent product I can revisit my prejudices against them. Until then I would not be caught dead on them.
Agreed and that's the same reason I don't fly AA on int'l flights (except where they have rolled out the new 777).

AF website though is very dodgy as it implies that the new seat is available on your flight
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:02 am

I purchased seats on an AF flight (through Delta.com) from DTW to CDG in coach. Seat selections on Delta.com and AF (when I log in with my Conf #) have all the seats in the forward part of the coach cabin unavailable. When I go into AF website and attempt a dummy booking, I see many seats are available (yes, even regular coach ones without a fee that I feel I should have access to). I’ve tried tweeting Delta and AF, to no avail.

Any suggestions on how I can get access to these seemingly “invisible available” coach seats?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by Auston
I purchased seats on an AF flight (through Delta.com) from DTW to CDG in coach. Seat selections on Delta.com and AF (when I log in with my Conf #) have all the seats in the forward part of the coach cabin unavailable. When I go into AF website and attempt a dummy booking, I see many seats are available (yes, even regular coach ones without a fee that I feel I should have access to). I’ve tried tweeting Delta and AF, to no avail.

Any suggestions on how I can get access to these seemingly “invisible available” coach seats?
I believe they block some seats for FB elites. I encountered this in J when none of the single seats were available, only the 2 in the middle. Someone on FT mentioned you can call or tweet AF and they will give them to you (if you are ST Elite). I never got a chance to try, I ended up changing my flight, but it is worth a try.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I agree mostly with OP's observations, but it is hard to sympathize with any AF story that does not involve a strike of some sort!

My best one involves 24 hours in the CAI airport (can you say second hand smoke?!), a charter flight that was delayed until I told them how to fix the lavs, ended up returning anyway due to hyd problems (full blown emergency landing with fire trucks and everything!) even though we were already over Europe when we turned around (???), and parking at the cargo facility in CDG at 0400 despite dozens of open gates (30+ minute bus ride). And the final chapter (which had nothing to do with AF) was when I walked into my room at the CDG HI Express and someone was snoozing away in the bed!

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Apr 22, 2015 at 6:46 am
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Booked RT Business class ticket Seattle to Madrid. Did not pay enough attention to the fact that the segment ATL- CDG was flown by AF.

Definitely an inferior product compared to DL. (Did I really say that)

1. First the good things . FA's were very good and helpful. Around all the time asking if you needed anything.

I have never experienced that on AF so good for you

2. Flight was 3 hours late departing. Re-booking handled well with flight info on my phone when landing Paris. Baggage transferred without incident.

3 hour delay on board, did not make up time in the air, and almost missed my connection in CDG, though no worries they left my bags in Toronto so the baggage transfer was not an issue

Now the Bad.

3. I arrived at the gate 45 minutes before scheduled departure . All passengers already boarded. They already knew they would have to delay an hour waiting for passengers on another flight. Why board people when you know they will have to sit in that Tube for 2 hours for no reason. DL Club much better!

This then turned into over 3 hours sitting at the gate when they had a problem with the engine. Nothing I enjoy less then sitting on an airplane not moving.

I think that is just what they do

4. Aircraft a 747/400 with 2 classes and Business on Main deck exclusively unlike just about every other carrier that has some BC on upper Deck.

5. Old styled angled flat and 2+2 in front where yes climbing over is a necessity. Thank you DL for Staggered seating.

777 with 2 2 2 in business, not lie flat, and my neighbor found spilling drinks on me to be fun.

6. No 110 volt service at seat. Really how backward are we.

Agreed

7. I figured French airline at least the food would be good . Wrong!

Salad was nothing but lettuce, no vegetables and no dressing except bottle of Balsamic. Shrimp Cocktail was served with some sort of mayo . Certainly not what I would expect.

Rolls brought out stone cold . Even UA heats their rolls.

I had the chicken as the Main dish. Only thing I could think of was how people refer to the Rubber Chicken circuit . Tough and no taste.

Desert was slightly better , 3 little squares and some sorbet all mediocre.

DL serves much better food in all courses IMHO.

Sad to say yes DL has better food in business, even though its cheap I am a sucker for the ice cream sundae

But the final straw is my flight from Paris to Madrid in an A321. First Class was 6 across and as much room as I get on Ryanair. Absolutely ridiculous to call it anything except what it is Economy!

Lufthansa, British Airways, etc etc all have "European Business" which is 3 3 configuration with a pull down back of the middle seat for "more room" does not matter what European carrier you fly that is what you get, and it is a far cry from Ryan Air

Avoid Air France!

That I can agree with
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Agreed and that's the same reason I don't fly AA on int'l flights (except where they have rolled out the new 777).
I have been flying it exclusively to Hong Kong from DFW this year. It is a very nice bird. I believe there are 3 in service (also serving LHR)and more coming.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Agree the DL seat is better than the AF seat TATL business (the angle-flat has never bothered me, but I think that is a personal preference) but in my estimation, the food, wine and service is usually a little better on AF. Also the IFE and the lounges. So it is a mixed bag. Delays are part of flying, and being well able to remember what it was like sitting in economy TATL, I think I would just be grateful I was sitting in Affaires (more champagne, please).

Reinforces the importance, though, of checking the actual carrier you will be on, as well as what plane it is, what the good seats are, whether it has all the upgraded seats and whatnot. Consider it lesson learned. There is much worse business class than AF, as well as better.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
this is the worst part....but if you fly AA you'd be used to this

Surprised you would say that as it shows you have not flown AA lately.

Many 772 are now flat bed and staggered
Most 763 are now flat bed and staggered
All B773 are now flat bed and staggered
All A332 are now flat bed and staggered
All A333 are now flat bed and staggered
All B788 are now flat bed and staggered
All A321T are now flat bed (not staggered)

The vast majority of the AA fleet is flat bed and you do not need to climb over someone to get to your seat. Additionally on the A321, B773 and the old layout B772 they offer a true F class product for Intl. Compared to DL One which is a business class product on par with AA (I find the AA hard product actually has more cushioning and is slightly more comfortable for side sleepers then the DL One product.)
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by acvitale
Additionally on the A321, B773 and the old layout B772 they offer a true F class product for Intl.
While AA and UA continue to offer three classes of service on a dwindling number of aircraft, their first class products truly can't compete with those of international carriers. Contrast that with the U.S. carriers' business class products, which are generally competitive and in some cases superior.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by acvitale
Surprised you would say that as it shows you have not flown AA lately.

Many 772 are now flat bed and staggered
Most 763 are now flat bed and staggered
All B773 are now flat bed and staggered
All A332 are now flat bed and staggered
All A333 are now flat bed and staggered
All B788 are now flat bed and staggered
All A321T are now flat bed (not staggered)

The vast majority of the AA fleet is flat bed and you do not need to climb over someone to get to your seat. Additionally on the A321, B773 and the old layout B772 they offer a true F class product for Intl. Compared to DL One which is a business class product on par with AA (I find the AA hard product actually has more cushioning and is slightly more comfortable for side sleepers then the DL One product.)
I would not say many of the 772's have been converted yet, and they fly most of the routes. Every AA Asia route besides HKG is still on a 772, as well as many of the LHR/EU routes.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I prefer flying Air France over DL when going to HKG. The new seats are much better. It is a bit weird that their 747 is all economy on the upper deck, but I see that more of a feature for frequent flyers who can only afford economy. The food is great and AF never really try to fill their business and first class so most of time there's no one sitting next to me. Also, I don't think I can find a DL flight to HKG for less than $3400 CDN during the summer months.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I believe they block some seats for FB elites. I encountered this in J when none of the single seats were available, only the 2 in the middle. Someone on FT mentioned you can call or tweet AF and they will give them to you (if you are ST Elite). I never got a chance to try, I ended up changing my flight, but it is worth a try.
Thanks. I tweeted them again, asking for the specific seats I could see on AF.com and mentioning my ST Elite status. Worked perfectly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.