Wiki Posts
Search

Stunning La Première offer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thank you guys

You know, I was really thinking this was a mistake from AF and so I made a dummy booking (in march) on AF US web site to see the regular fares in P from JFK or LAX. I almost had a stroke when I saw the fares (round trip) :
- JFK : $16 to 17,000
- LAX : close to $20,000
So this offer is really a bargain
At those fears, it is cheaper to book for private jet if there is more than two people travelling in your party.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
At those fears, it is cheaper to book for private jet if there is more than two people travelling in your party.
Bolding mine.

Freudian slip?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bodory
Bolding mine.

Freudian slip?
I should hope so. It would be a shame otherwise!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yeah it really makes you think who are those people who sit in P from LAX. Every time I fly to LAX there's at least one person in P, and often it is full. Of course corporate discounts help and I'm sure the movie studios get a healthy discount. But still that is a lot of money. From JFK though, $17K is pocket change for investment bankers. Yet back around 2000 you could fly roundtrip on the Concorde for about $10k as I recall.

P.S. I just checked Lufthansa as I think that is a better comparison than BA. And LH's flex First class fare is $ 21,396.99 for LAX-FRA-LAX. So I guess LH and AF are in sync.
If they can get good load factor with those prices, you can't blame them for charging them. No business is going to charge *less* out of an impulse of charity.

Given that there are people who drop that sort of money for champagne during one night out, there is clearly a client base willing to drop that money for a flight and who won't care enough about the expense to shop around for a cheaper connecting option to Paris.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
If they can get good load factor with those prices, you can't blame them for charging them. No business is going to charge *less* out of an impulse of charity.

Given that there are people who drop that sort of money for champagne during one night out, there is clearly a client base willing to drop that money for a flight and who won't care enough about the expense to shop around for a cheaper connecting option to Paris.
Let's expand this thought a bit. Some may be willing to drop that amount of money for Cristal Brut 1990 "Methuselah", but nobody is willing to pay that for a bottle of Moet. I know, with P on AF being a fine product (especially with the new seats), it's an exaggerated analogy. But it gives to think...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zembla
Let's expand this thought a bit. Some may be willing to drop that amount of money for Cristal Brut 1990 "Methuselah", but nobody is willing to pay that for a bottle of Moet. I know, with P on AF being a fine product (especially with the new seats), it's an exaggerated analogy. But it gives to think...
People are paying this for AF F.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
People are paying this for AF F.
To add non-evidence to this lovely debate, I recall a few episodes of the Gossip Girl where the main characters (rich, spoiled kids from the Upper East Side) spend quality time staring at airfrance's website booking La Premiere (IT miraculously worked) and a few episodes later (returning from a summer in Paris) extolling how great the flight in La Premiere was (that's a few years ago, hence the old P)

SO it's not just people who pay for jet-setting between New York and Paris; also fictional characters who do not care about money, just getting from A to B in style and as quickly as possible.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajs123
To add non-evidence to this lovely debate, I recall a few episodes of the Gossip Girl where the main characters (rich, spoiled kids from the Upper East Side) spend quality time staring at airfrance's website booking La Premiere (IT miraculously worked) and a few episodes later (returning from a summer in Paris) extolling how great the flight in La Premiere was (that's a few years ago, hence the old P)

SO it's not just people who pay for jet-setting between New York and Paris; also fictional characters who do not care about money, just getting form A to B in style and as quickly as possible.
Perhaps fictional characters are AF's core market.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
Perhaps fictional characters are AF's core market.
You might be onto something!
Now we all wish that rather the unions were fictional, not the customers @:-)
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ajs123

SO it's not just people who pay for jet-setting between New York and Paris; also fictional characters who do not care about money, just getting from A to B in style and as quickly as possible.
^
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
As stupid as this may sound, this actually is a 'deal' given the usual prices that AF is charging for P between LAX-CDG. As others have said, it is $21,427.10 rt and having just priced a few flights for 2 pax, the going rate seems to be around the $43,000 mark, so this signifies almost 50% off what they are charging.

If AF is actually filling F with paying passengers at those rates, then good for them.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by malioil
As stupid as this may sound, this actually is a 'deal' given the usual prices that AF is charging for P between LAX-CDG. As others have said, it is $21,427.10 rt and having just priced a few flights for 2 pax, the going rate seems to be around the $43,000 mark, so this signifies almost 50% off what they are charging.

If AF is actually filling F with paying passengers at those rates, then good for them.
Not sure why someone would compare this promotion with very restrictive conditions to the full fare that no one is paying.
For example, AF has a fare from JFK at $11,419 (compared to the promotion $9,927) . It has some advance purchase requirement but is fully refundable at no fee (also changeable at no fee). From LAX it is 13,840.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:57 pm

Fictional characters charging to fictional credit cards?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BitcoinforMiles
Fictional characters charging to fictional credit cards?
You sound like the case against me!

Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Someone must have seen this thread at AF because they have a much better revised offer. But the conditions are still non optimal.

New York - Paris from $6022*
Washington - Paris from $6604*
Houston - Paris from $6954*
San Francisco - Paris from $7528*
Los Angeles - Paris from $8186*

* CONDITIONS: Round-trip fares including taxes, carrier surcharge and applicable fees
- Fares are valid until June 30, 2015 - Travel dates: from the United States: permitted from June 26 through Aug. 29, 2015 / to the United States: permitted from June 28 through Sep. 03, 2015 - Fares require 60 days advance purchase - All fares have a minimum of a Saturday night stay with a maximum stay of 3 months permitted - Fares are non-refundable - Changes are allowed for a $450 fee plus fare adjustment fees before and after departure. Changes are not permitted in case of no-show - Fares are subject to class of service availability and may be changed or withdrawn without notice and are based on the most direct routing to each destination. Additional baggage fees may apply - Additional transfers will increase the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.