AF Lounge at FRA

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
Sure.

The lounge is actually okay, furniture is worn and outdated, but the staff was nice and the food was superior to what they used to offer on the roof at DUS. The HJ lounge at DUS is a major improvement in terms of food, but not when it comes to finding available seats, which brings us back to LH.

The old paradigm seems to be intact in 2015; most KL and AF lounges are superior to LH FTL/C lounges, but are inferior to most LH Group SEN/*Gold lounges.
You get me puzzled.
I certainly do not find that AF lounges are superior to LH lounges for C pax.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by brunos
You get me puzzled.
I certainly do not find that AF lounges are superior to LH lounges for C pax.
I haven't been to a Lufthansa Business lounge (note: not SEN lounge) so I don't know, but I hear that they aren't great. Worse or not than AF I don't know though.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I haven't been to a Lufthansa Business lounge (note: not SEN lounge) so I don't know, but I hear that they aren't great. Worse or not than AF I don't know though.
They are indeed not great, but neither are AF lounges.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
They are indeed not great, but neither are AF lounges.
Indeed but have you tried the AF FRA lounge recently? I personally haven't (only did when it certainly was rubbish!) but upthread, posters describe it as much better now than what we are used to in normal AF lounges, more akin to the new S4 lounge with hot food etc. I too am not used to the normal LH business lounges, but what posters describe seems a notch off most of the SEN lounges which I know reasonably well but my understanding is that the business ones are a serious level below them.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
I was in the lounge yesterday, at the time when they were changing the breakfast offering for lunch. I ll try to post some pics asap to get a better idea of the service available.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ajs123
I was in the lounge yesterday, at the time when they were changing the breakfast offering for lunch. I ll try to post some pics asap to get a better idea of the service available.
Thanks!! ^
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed but have you tried the AF FRA lounge recently? I personally haven't (only did when it certainly was rubbish!) but upthread, posters describe it as much better now than what we are used to in normal AF lounges, more akin to the new S4 lounge with hot food etc. I too am not used to the normal LH business lounges, but what posters describe seems a notch off most of the SEN lounges which I know reasonably well but my understanding is that the business ones are a serious level below them.
If this is a trend of upgrading AF lounges, then bravo AF.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Everything is refundable
LH improved the FTL/C lounges over the last couple of years and started offering more (hot) food. Some new openings certainly helped the cause.

The average AF or KL lounge used to be better, but AF did not invest as much over the last couple of years and some stations were pathetic (DUS, BCN come to mind quickly)

In FRA last week, they offered three different sandwiches (the toast triangle) two small pizza snacks (from Nestle-Wagner) salad (small mixed salad with art. goat cheese) and a variety of steamed veggies, which did not look too appealing. Cake was also offered as well as wine, beer and soft drinks.

The variety is superior to what LH offers at most FTL/C lounges, but cannot compete with the more upscale lounges.

KLM used to have the same approach as LH, Silver Wing/C and Royal Wing/F , but they discontinued F and the Royal Wing lounge later on to come up with the current approach, which is solid in all terms, but often too crowded.

The tuna salad is actually tasty and a definite improvement over the Salsa and Guacamole days from the last decade.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:12 am

If this is a trend of upgrading AF lounges, then bravo AF.
Like you, I remain to be convinced, but those were two of the posts describing the FRA AF lounge offering:

I beg to disagree with the previous two posters. I am very satisfied with the food offering in Frankfurt, it has improved a lot in the past year. For breakfast you have a large variety of fresh rolls and breads, selection of cheeses and cold cuts (that is far more diverse than you find in KL's Amsterdam Crown lounge), fresh fruit salad, nutella, and yogurts. Available are also Frankfurters! The desserts variety has changed from packaged ones to apple tarts, chocolate pies and various types of muffins. For lunch (from around 11am) you get individual servings of salad, various types of mini pizzas, cooked vegetables (very tasty), soup and hot bite sized snacks (a recent addition were wraps). Although I fly out of FRA once a week on average, I have no experience with their evening food selection. I am also unable to comment on the wines (no champagne, just a french sparkling wine). The selection of newspaper and magazines is very good too. The major downside of the lounge is that it does not have any restrooms but that is also that's the case of the adjacent Iberia lounge.
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer

[...] Hi,

In terms of evening offerings, which start +/- 17:00, the hot food is typically a stew or pasta sauce, with rice or pasta, and a vegetable dish. There's normally also salad available.

Timings do vary a bit, so with the 17:55 KLM flight, you could be leaving just to early to catch the bus to the remote parking stand.

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
I promised some pics from the food offering in FRA, but it's rather incomplete:

lunch selection 1

lunch selection 2

desserts

breakfast selection
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I promised some pics from the food offering in FRA, but it's rather incomplete:
much better than before, indeed. Thanks for the pictures.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As I just posted in the lounge thread, the AFKL lounge has one of the most minimal food offering of the AF lounges I know. And the few things available are not very appealing...
I don’t know if it was because during the weekend with less eligible pax or if it’s just the normal offer.
Otherwise the lounge is pleasant and comfortable.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30071155-post747.html
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I haven't been there in a couple of years now, but what you describe sounds about right, if not slightly improved compared to my recollections.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: FB Plat
The offer you witnessed at the FRA lounge is the exact same at the STR lounge, although the STR lounge has room for 20-30 pax instead of 80. STR lounge sometimes gets a bit more variety of food, but it stays minimal nonetheless.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume this is the lounge Delta uses for its business class pax too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.