Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France cancelled and rescheduled my flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Post Air France cancelled and rescheduled my flight

I booked air France flight from Yyz to Delhi and 3 hrs before the departure and received email it got cancelled...

Paid full fair for this flight on air france.com website like 3 months ago.

I booked premium class and they rescheduled me on klm in economy class... So pisssed of right now... Tried asking klm to book same class and they don't have premium class and no compensation at all from air France was provided.

My stop over was at Cdg and that was in business class and they couldn't help.

Yyz-cdg was in premium economy and cdg - delhi was in business. I paid extra for this class.

What can I do to get refund back for my premium class and did this happen to anyone? Is there complaint I can make to air France for their poor customer service....

Also if they couldn't do anything, can I call my credit card company to get partial refund back?

My return ticket has not been changed yet?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
You are entitled to compensation for the downgrade. This will always be dealt with by customer service afterwards and not at the airport (pretty much the same with all airlines) so you just need to go to the website and request downgrade compensation as well as delay compensation if applicable.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Your ticket seems a bit complicated and surprising that you got a RT YYZ-CDG-DEL in PE for the first leg and J for the second.
But AF will reprice the ticket and you should get some compensation for the downgrade. As Orbitmic stated, this is done after the flight not at the airport.

It will be no use to contact your credit card, nothing they can do.

Your return flights should not be affected.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally it was all premium class, when I was checking in, I got an option to upgrade to business from cdg-delhi.

Than downgraded to economy. At least they should of at least given me the business fare from cdg-delhi?

I wouldn't mind if it was domestic flight, but international I need bit more room.

Originally Posted by brunos
Your ticket seems a bit complicated and surprising that you got a RT YYZ-CDG-DEL in PE for the first leg and J for the second.
But AF will reprice the ticket and you should get some compensation for the downgrade. As Orbitmic stated, this is done after the flight not at the airport.

It will be no use to contact your credit card, nothing they can do.

Your return flights should not be affected.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Hmmm....

When entering flight status on af.com for AF351 departing Feb 23, it shows instead as AF4077 operating YYZ-YUL-CDG:

YYZ 7:43pm
YUL 9:50pm
YUL 11:00pm
CDG 11:20am (estimated)

When entering AF4077 on flightstats on the same date, it shows two sectors:
1) YYZ-CDG
2) YUL-CDG

Clicking on the former, it shows as being diverted. Not sure why it was diverted to YUL, but I assume the 11:20am estimated arrival will be too late for the OP to make the DEL connection. Hence re-booked through KL.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like EU261 downgrade compensation rules might apply, although this could depend on whether the paid upgrade at check in resulted in a reissued ticket in business class or just a business class boarding pass.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like EU261 downgrade compensation rules might apply, although this could depend on whether the paid upgrade at check in resulted in a reissued ticket in business class or just a business class boarding pass.
uh? if the passenger originally had a ticket in premium economy and was placed by the airline in a lower class, then (s)he is entitled to downgrade compensation, whether they re-issue the ticket or not.
I am still unclear as to what segments exactly the OP travelled in. Secondly, the OP speaks of KLM but still mentions YYZ-CDG-DEL, which would not involve a KLM flight.
If I get it right, the OP originally booked YYZ-CDG-DEL with AF in PE. At check-in, he got an upgrade for money offer on CDG-DEL in business, which he took up.

Thus, prior to the downgrade, the OP had a ticket for YYZ-CDG-DEL, with the first leg in PE and the second leg in C.

Question to the OP: which itinerary did you actually fly and in which class on each leg?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That leads me to a more general question.
You got a Y ticket and paid for upgrade to Biz the day before the flight. Actually your flight is cancelled and you are put on another flight in Y. Does AF owes any downgrade compensation besides reimbursement of the upgrade cost? (I am not talking here about compensation for delay, but rather Article 10 of EC261 regarding compensation for downgrade)

My guess is not.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You got a Y ticket and paid for upgrade to Biz the day before the flight. Actually your flight is cancelled and you are put on another flight in Y. Does AF owes any downgrade compensation besides reimbursement of the upgrade cost? (I am not talking here about compensation for delay, but rather Article 10 of EC261 regarding compensation for downgrade)

My guess is not.
Can't see why not. You have a confirmed reservation in C and you have paid for it: this is normally enough for Reg 261/2004 to apply. The relevant provision is Art 3.3:
Originally Posted by Regulation 261/2004, Art 3(3)
This Regulation shall not apply to passengers travelling free of charge or at a reduced fare not available directly or indirectly to the public. However, it shall apply to passengers
having tickets issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programme by an air carrier or tour operator.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

My guess is not.
This is why I was asking whether the ticket had been reissued. It could make a difference.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is why I was asking whether the ticket had been reissued. It could make a difference.
No reason why it should for a paid upgrade. Unless I have missed something, I cannot see anything in the Reg to suggest that it does. A complimentary/operational upgrade would be a different matter. Besides, in any event, the OP was placed in economy (rather than the originally booked premium economy). There would still have been a downgrade in any event.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Original itinerary was from Yyz-cdg-del in premium class. I got an offer to upgrade to business in from cdg-Del which I took the offer.

Than 3hrs before the flight, I got cancelled and rescheduled on klm and transferred my connecting flight to AMS.

Instead of cdg I had to take klm and stop over at Amsterdam airport.

They didn't explain why it got cancelled?

My departure date was feb. 16(Sunday)

Originally Posted by NickB
uh? if the passenger originally had a ticket in premium economy and was placed by the airline in a lower class, then (s)he is entitled to downgrade compensation, whether they re-issue the ticket or not.
I am still unclear as to what segments exactly the OP travelled in. Secondly, the OP speaks of KLM but still mentions YYZ-CDG-DEL, which would not involve a KLM flight.
If I get it right, the OP originally booked YYZ-CDG-DEL with AF in PE. At check-in, he got an upgrade for money offer on CDG-DEL in business, which he took up.

Thus, prior to the downgrade, the OP had a ticket for YYZ-CDG-DEL, with the first leg in PE and the second leg in C.

Question to the OP: which itinerary did you actually fly and in which class on each leg?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YSL5577
Original itinerary was from Yyz-cdg-del in premium class. I got an offer to upgrade to business in from cdg-Del which I took the offer.

Than 3hrs before the flight, I got cancelled and rescheduled on klm and transferred my connecting flight to AMS.

Instead of cdg I had to take klm and stop over at Amsterdam airport.

They didn't explain why it got cancelled?

My departure date was feb. 16(Sunday)
So you flew YYZ-AMS-DEL, and you flew both flights (YYZ-AMS and AMS-DEL) in economy?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
and you flew both flights (YYZ-AMS and AMS-DEL) in economy?
That is also the part I am not entirely clear about.

To me, a flight upgraded (be it with miles or with cash) entitles a passenger to fly in the particular travel class he/she has upgraded to and therefore fully entitles him/her to downgrade compensation if he/she is made to travel in a lower travel class (including the one originally booked).

That said, if the OP travelled one leg in Y and one in J I would find his situation much less shocking (downgrade entitlement notwithstanding) than if he was downgraded to Y on both flights.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
That is also the part I am not entirely clear about.

To me, a flight upgraded (be it with miles or with cash) entitles a passenger to fly in the particular travel class he/she has upgraded to and therefore fully entitles him/her to downgrade compensation if he/she is made to travel in a lower travel class (including the one originally booked).

That said, if the OP travelled one leg in Y and one in J I would find his situation much less shocking (downgrade entitlement notwithstanding) than if he was downgraded to Y on both flights.
It seems that the OP did travel in J on AMS-DEL, otherwise he would have complained.

I never used AF paid upgrade. Is there any T&C that comes with it when you book online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.