Search

Air France's CDG à la carte options

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:14 pm
Formerly known as HuwRLewis
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
Air France's CDG à la carte options

I'm flying through CDG next week. I'm thinking of purchasing an à la carte option that AF offers on my long haul flight originating in CDG.
Does anyone have experience with the quality/value of these meals? Was thinking about the Le Nôtre choice. Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
They are good and definitely good value for money IMO.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
They are good and definitely good value for money IMO.
Thanks Goldorak.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'll admit that personally I would never pay for them, mostly on the grounds that AF long haul Y meals tend to be perfectly all right and that I do not see the point of paying for something which is already included in the ticket price. That said, why not, if there is a menu you particularly fancy and you do not like the (limited) uncertainty of regular menu choices, go for it...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'll admit that personally I would never pay for them, mostly on the grounds that AF long haul Y meals tend to be perfectly all right and that I do not see the point of paying for something which is already included in the ticket price. That said, why not, if there is a menu you particularly fancy and you do not like the (limited) uncertainty of regular menu choices, go for it...
However, I can tell you that it will skip you from the upgrade list in case your flight is fully booked and if you are from the 1st passengers meant to be upgraded (confirmed by AF reps).
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:11 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by olivedel
However, I can tell you that it will skip you from the upgrade list in case your flight is fully booked and if you are from the 1st passengers meant to be upgraded (confirmed by AF reps).
This. I was told the same once. Similar to special meals, an à la carte meal will prevent you from being upgraded. I'm just wondering if this would be the case for Y -> W upgrade, since you can also order the same à la carte meals when flying W.

I wish they had them in Longhaul flights departing from the U.S. The Y/W meal is horrible.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Angry

Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
I'm flying through CDG next week. I'm thinking of purchasing an à la carte option that AF offers on my long haul flight originating in CDG.
Does anyone have experience with the quality/value of these meals? Was thinking about the Le Nôtre choice. Thanks.
Be aware that, unless it's changed recently, if you purchased your ticket from DL(006 stock), you won't be able to order an à la carte meal. This was what I was told last summer when flying in W. Don't know why. Just another example of the "seamless" DL/AF experience!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arkangel
Be aware that, unless it's changed recently, if you purchased your ticket from DL(006 stock), you won't be able to order an à la carte meal. This was what I was told last summer when flying in W. Don't know why. Just another example of the "seamless" DL/AF experience!
Yep. Seamless is right. Ha. I saw I wasn't upgraded on the Delta segment of my weekend 'AF flight.' I called and learned I was not even on Delta's upgrade list. They did it manually.

Ok. So now I'm on the waiting list - for one of TWO remaining seats in a 24 seat FC cabin. That's wonderful, isn't it. I'm so terribly grateful.

Furthermore, I'm on an AF PE ticket (A). So I asked what fare code DL assigned to the DL segment. Turns out Delta assigned this 'A' fare a 'Q' ... Can you believe it?

Yep seamless - and transparent - is right.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
Yep. Seamless is right. Ha. I saw I wasn't upgraded on the Delta segment of my weekend 'AF flight.' I called and learned I was not even on Delta's upgrade list. They did it manually.
Was the flight coded as AF? If so, this has been the case forever.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by olivedel
Interesting. Is that a rule? I have a TATL ex-US flight in W coming. Y has been zeroed for weeks, while W, J and P are quite open. Being ST elite + I'm sorta of hoping (jut a little) that a bunch Y will be oped up to W and I have a shot for a W to J op up. I do have a special meal request in though. Should I get rid of it if I want a (slim) shot at op up?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Interesting. Is that a rule? I have a TATL ex-US flight in W coming. Y has been zeroed for weeks, while W, J and P are quite open. Being ST elite + I'm sorta of hoping (jut a little) that a bunch Y will be oped up to W and I have a shot for a W to J op up. I do have a special meal request in though. Should I get rid of it if I want a (slim) shot at op up?
This "rule" is for obvious reasons : op-ups are usually proceed during the hour before departure and so, in case of special meal, they can't adjust the catering for these pax. So ordering a special meal or a "à la carte menu" will indeed prevent you to receive any upgrade.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
Are AF Meal Upgrades Worth It?

I noticed that AF offers upgraded meals in economy on long-haul flights originating in Paris. There are several choices (La Notre, Italian, Ocean, Traditional) and they range from 16 to 38 euros. Does anyone have any experience with these options? Is it that much better than the regular meal? It seems the only thing worse than a bad airline meal in coach is paying for a bad airline meal in coach.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I have and loved it. Flying in coach is a drag-- this was a lot of fun. I did the French menu and really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Just wondering whether "Special meals prevent upgrades" also applies to Kids' meals. I have experienced upgrades W -> J when traveling with kids, and they had children meals ordered.

In any case the children meals are the same in all classes: I have seen mine getting the same three little sweet bun sandwiches, pasta-under-aluminium-foil, orange juice-with-a-funny-straw, KIRI cheese in all classes, from Eco to Business (and actually I believe also in Premiere, but I took Premiere only once with one of my kids). All the upgrade would change is the seat number to which this exact meal is served, but the meal seems to be identical. Which defeats the argument of "too short for the catering people to adapt"

Who knows more?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I have and loved it. Flying in coach is a drag-- this was a lot of fun. I did the French menu and really enjoyed it.
Thank you; I think we'll give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.