Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF to discontinue Premium Economy on medium haul flights + other "improvements"

AF to discontinue Premium Economy on medium haul flights + other "improvements"

Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
I disagree. This was marketed and sold as a different cabin and there was as much segregation between PE and Y as there is between C and Y. If anything, PE was C- rather than Y+. To me, it is very clearly a downgrade within the meaning of Reg 261/2004.
+1. I would argue there was a more obvious separation between W and Y than there was between C and W and that in my view, it constitutes a very clear upgrade and one for which Oxymore should certainly seek compensation if sat in the Y cabin.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Son of a...

In March, I booked SFO-CDG-IST in W (coded as a DL flight, purchased from delta.com) for September. Are you all telling me that I'm sitting in Y for the 4+ hour trip between CDG-IST and back?

The only reason I even knew of this elimination of PE is because I came to this forum to check on something else, since I've never flown AF. If I didn't come here, I would not have known until either checking in at SFO, or worse when I boarded in CDG.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
In March, I booked SFO-CDG-IST in W (coded as a DL flight, purchased from delta.com) for September. Are you all telling me that I'm sitting in Y for the 4+ hour trip between CDG-IST and back?
Yes, you are in Y (BTW, CDG-IST is about 3.5 hrs, not 4+). If it can reassure you, seating in the former medium haul PE was the regular Y seating.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, you are in Y (BTW, CDG-IST is about 3.5 hrs, not 4+). If it can reassure you, seating in the former medium haul PE was the regular Y seating.
Thanks for the reassurance (Un)Fortunately, I'm familiar with the European concept of what a "premium" cabin is, thanks to BA.

What's disappointing is that when I checked the info back in March, I saw that meal service was at least the same in C.

Does this mean Sky Priority is also removed for those segments? It's a 60-min transfer at CDG, then on my return checking in at IST.

Thanks for your answers.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
The only reason I even knew of this elimination of PE is because I came to this forum to check on something else, since I've never flown AF. If I didn't come here, I would not have known until either checking in at SFO, or worse when I boarded in CDG.
Same here. This is what AF told me after I complained:

"Passengers who bought their tickets directly with us, either on-line or via our reservations centre, should have been notified by email and I apologise if this was not the case. So that your concerns receive the necessary attention, I have forwarded your message to our Reservations department in order for my colleagues to verify and confirm any changes to your reservations. They will be in direct contact with you again shortly."

I don't know what shortly means in AF-speak but I complained in March and no one has ever contacted me. I flew over a month ago.

And, I am still waiting for the miles for the European leg of my trip. I have now been given 0 miles three times, the original 0 and two more times following my complaints. So the same flight shows 3 times, each time with 0 miles. They are obviously not even reading what I write, or maybe they have too many disgruntled employees hoping we'll stop flying AF. So make sure you check after your trip that you actually get the miles you thought you'd be getting when you bought the ticket. Be aware AF will want proof.

About your trip: you will still have Sky Priority but no more free access to the CDG lounge. Also, you will fly behind the Business class curtain so it will be a lot noisier and you will have less space for bags. The food was a sandwich. My bags didn't come out first despite the Priority tags but I am used to that. All in all it was a worse experience that what I've grown used to in PE.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ticino
About your trip: you will still have Sky Priority but no more free access to the CDG lounge. Also, you will fly behind the Business class curtain so it will be a lot noisier and you will have less space for bags. The food was a sandwich. My bags didn't come out first despite the Priority tags but I am used to that. All in all it was a worse experience that what I've grown used to in PE.
You don't mention what your own trip is but I gather that unlike VNAflyer this was not IST which would have had a meal tray with cold and hot elements (and not a sandwich).

As you rightly point out, "eco flex" does include priority security.

As mentioned earlier, I fully agree with all of you that it is unfair of AF to relocate people originally booked in W into Y and should be compensated.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by orbitmic
You don't mention what your own trip is but I gather that unlike VNAflyer this was not IST which would have had a meal tray with cold and hot elements (and not a sandwich).

As you rightly point out, "eco flex" does include priority security.

As mentioned earlier, I fully agree with all of you that it is unfair of AF to relocate people originally booked in W into Y and should be compensated.
It was a 2,5 hour trip CDG-ARN that used to get a tray so I was very surprised by the sandwich (that wasn't as good as KLM's sandwiches).

Anyway, what you get with PE long-haul is not "eco-flex", it's still W they are selling. I specifically asked when I bought a long haul PE trip for use later this year. They made it very clear to me that the European leg wasn't flex and that it cannot be modified without paying a fee.

Actually I don't want compensation, I'm just mad that they didn't inform me of the downgrade and now the mess with the miles. If i'd wanted compensation I would have filed a claim with our Board for Consumer Disputes, I have done it before against AF and I have won. To be fair and not to give the wrong impression I should add that I am otherwise very happy with AF and that is why I'm mad about FB being so incredibly disorganised and their computer systems being so lousy. My partner is totally fed up with them and wants to switch to Star Alliance, which we use for work, but I'd like to keep on flying AF.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ticino
If i'd wanted compensation I would have filed a claim with our Board for Consumer Disputes, I have done it before against AF and I have won.
You wouldn't need to. If you did want you should write to AF mentioning EC261 downgrade compensation.

CDG-ARN is in the category where (unless it has changed) you should get a tray for meal time flights but a sandwich for any mid morning or mid afternoon departure. If yours was a mealtime departure (12-13.30, 18.00-20.30 I think) and you only got a sandwich then it sounds like a change for the worse in Y. Of course it would have been a tray meal in W and still is in C (apparently improved as a result of the change)
Old May 26, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
I also got an AF W fare on Delta around February the route is SFO/CDG/VCE outbound and IST/CDG/SFO return (Vencie -Istanbul Cruise). The class of service for the intra-European flights was "Premium Economy" but seat selection was not available. I'm not concerned about the very short flight from CDG/VCE but IST/CDG is 3.5 hours and I'm 6'5" 285lbs. Since I'm on a DL ticket I'm assuming just upgrading the leg from IST/CDG is impossible.

Any suggestions?

-Paul
Old May 27, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by Paul510
I also got an AF W fare on Delta around February the route is SFO/CDG/VCE outbound and IST/CDG/SFO return (Vencie -Istanbul Cruise). The class of service for the intra-European flights was "Premium Economy" but seat selection was not available. I'm not concerned about the very short flight from CDG/VCE but IST/CDG is 3.5 hours and I'm 6'5" 285lbs. Since I'm on a DL ticket I'm assuming just upgrading the leg from IST/CDG is impossible.

Any suggestions?

-Paul
Upgrading (to biz) would be a waste of money, anyway: AF use A319s (or A320s?) on the IST-CDG route, so all you would get is an extra 1" of legroom and a blocked middle seat (converted to a table).

-- Henry
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
I recently flew CDG-VIE in J and finally had an opportunity to see what the new medium haul J offering looks like. Pre-departure oshibori (generous size), meal served on a china plate with metal cutlery (very nicely wrapped), at last no more plastic cups cups; Fauchon tea.

What I did not like - no champagne/sparkling wine (a french airline!), no paper menu to actually know what I ate and what wines are on offer, although the portions have increased, they still remain small and low on protein and high on sugar (fruit salad & petit four).
Overall I like the improvements, but it is not as good as I would like it to be (with realistic expectations). Certainly when I compare it with OS on the same route, DO&CO catering in particular.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ajs123
What I did not like - no champagne/sparkling wine (a french airline!), no paper menu to actually know what I ate and what wines are on offer, although the portions have increased, they still remain small and low on protein and high on sugar (fruit salad & petit four).
I'm very surprised by what you say. There is definitely champagne in EU J and there is a small printed menu placed on the tray (may be you missed it).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
In February, I flew CDG-FLR with my wife in J, and we were told that they no longer serve bubbly on "such short flights"
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Been on an even shorter flight (CDG-ZRH) last night. Definitely served Champagne, the chap on the side of the aisle had two glasses before doors closed and one or two more (or more, didn't watch him) during the flight.

However, I've never noticed that there was a menu. Neither on the super short flights (ZRH, MUC), the somewhat longer ones (VIE) nor the actually long ones (LIS).

But then, one thing that is good about the changes to intra-European catering is that you can actually tell what it is that you're eatiing. Which definitely was not the case before.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
The purser on my flight tried to save the situation yesterday with a joke saying that 'we have sparkling water and wine on board, but no sparkling wine'...
Goldorak, I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a printed menu on the tray. I ll post some pics, but I am not sure whether I agree with San Gottardo's food assessment.
Also there wasn't any PDB, so now I feel like I have missed out on something!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.