Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't select seats for non-full flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Can't select seats for non-full flight?

So I'm booked on AF65 on 30NOV2014, which is quite a way out in PV, but both the AF and KLM sites will no longer allow me to select my seat (it let me pick last week, but there were only middle seats).

I'm stuck in a middle PE seat, and want to change out of that seat. EF seems to show that there are more seats, and also that there's good availability on that flight, which is interestingly different if I look up LAX-CDG vs LAX-CDG-CPH for that segment:

(LAX-CDG)
P5 F3 J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 W9 S9 A3 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L9 Q9 T9 E0 N9 R9 V8 G0
(LAX-CDG)-CPH
P2 F2 J2 C2 D2 I2 Z2 W9 S9 A0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L9 Q6 T1 E0 N0 R0 V0 G0

Any ideas why this might be? Or maybe I should just call in?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Lots of existing threads on this. AF only allows for a relatively small number of seats to be pre-assigned, and some more to only be pre-assigned to full fare passengers and Skyteam elite plus. The rest is kept for airport assignment and while you should keep an eye on seats once in a while in case something better frees (people's plans do change), if not, just check in online as soon as it opens and you should have a fairly large choice of seats.

If beyond the practical advice, you are interested in the why does AF do it that way, is it a great idea or a stupid one arguments etc, just search one of the existing threads and you'll find lengthy and fairly comprehensive arguments both ways

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Lots of existing threads on this. AF only allows for a relatively small number of seats to be pre-assigned, and some more to only be pre-assigned to full fare passengers and Skyteam elite plus. The rest is kept for airport assignment and while you should keep an eye on seats once in a while in case something better frees (people's plans do change), if not, just check in online as soon as it opens and you should have a fairly large choice of seats.

If beyond the practical advice, you are interested in the why does AF do it that way, is it a great idea or a stupid one arguments etc, just search one of the existing threads and you'll find lengthy and fairly comprehensive arguments both ways

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the reply! I did do a search, but most of the threads I saw were DL ticketed people trying to get a seat assignment, I didn't think that getting a seat on an AF ticketed flight would be so hard on a PE ticket .
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by no2chem
Thanks for the reply! I did do a search, but most of the threads I saw were DL ticketed people trying to get a seat assignment, I didn't think that getting a seat on an AF ticketed flight would be so hard on a PE ticket .
Actually on the JV, the ticketing makes no difference to the seats that one can select (be it on AF, DL, or KL) so indeed, the problem would not be different. Again, though, keep checking as between now and 30 November many people will still change their tickets, especially in PE so there is a good chance you'll be able to "guarantee" a better seat even before OLCI.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
As Orbitmic points out, AF preassigns some seats for elite+ and full fare pax.

The fare bucket availability depends on the points of origin and destination. A LAX-CPH tends to be cheaper in First or Business than a LAX-CDG and AF opens a lower availability in those fare buckets to CPH than to CDG (eventhough the LAX-CDG is the same flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.