Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF proudly serving INSTANT COFFEE in Biz (Affaires)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Milkman
Non dairy coffee creamer is a disgrace to mankind.
I agree completely, but then I realize this is exactly the sort of thing that a Milkman would say.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Xandrios
With that logic you could also opt for Greek coffee on A3, which is very similar to Turkish coffee. Though I personally prefer a good espresso any day
Actually, I do Like you, I much prefer espresso, but I have great espresso machines at home (plural is not a spelling mistake) and rarely make myself Turkish/Greek/Arabic coffee so will typically have it when I get a chance! On TK, the lukums are a big part of the story too. However, I can't face Greek/Turkish coffee in the morning and I have had some morning flights with A3 so got to order the espresso hence my comment!

PS: I'm A3 gold but didn't realise we were going to get some upgrade certificates! Great news, and as you say, great advertising to come for sure.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by Calchas
I agree completely, but then I realize this is exactly the sort of thing that a Milkman would say.
Busted!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
the brewed coffee in coach on US airlines is actually decent, sometimes even very good (as brewed pot coffee goes). THE point is, that's a base line expectation is the US, where freeze-dried coffee is (today here) NEVER acceptable (feel free to give us grief for all the other crap we eat here). This rant is not about espresso service (much appreciated where found). But if you're ok with french automat plastic cup freeze-dried coffee, then this is not your discussion.

This is a discussion about coffee onboard. No more no less.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by rasmcasm
the brewed coffee in coach on US airlines is actually decent, sometimes even very good (as brewed pot coffee goes).
We'll have to agree to disagree on that part At least on the US airlines I fly frequently (AA, DL, US, and UA) I really find it pretty horrid, but in fairness, as someone who is European and lived in the US for several years, coffee preferences vary a lot between the US and much of Europe (and for that matter to a large extent within Europe).

That said, as I mentioned, I think it is irrelevant and as I mentioned, agree with you that AF coffee within Europe and in long haul Y in atrocious. Again, I find AZ's even worse and BA' just the same. All three are instant as are many more in Europe.

One thing to bear in mind is that because of the US love for filter coffee, multiple coffee makers are actually fitted in the galleys. This is a choice they make in terms of space useage, and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that this would be my preferred use for the same space available. If I had a choice, I would prefer them to fit the espresso machines discussed above and make espresso available in C, or alternatively use "French press" a la QF which make for much better coffee in my view than both instant (vastly) and filter (less vastly but still significantly).

That said, again, I find instant an atrocity, although as mentioned it is effectively still the dominant choice on many airlines both in Europe and beyond.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I still find KLM's coffee passably ok, even if it is instant. Some instant coffees are better than others (think Voncafe from the Migros supermarket in Switzerland). I truly hate instant coffee too, but it's about all you seem to be to able to get in places like China or Ukraine. I do collect the little sachets when I'm on the road, for places where I just can't get a cuppa anywhere!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Same in First !"

Originally Posted by rasmcasm
Sit in AF business or EU first class, and you get freeze-dried instant coffee....
Each time I flew in long haul First Class on AF, I need to ask for a real expresso with breakfeast instead of instantaneous coffee that is served! FA is obliged to go in business kitchen to prepare it as there is no coffee machine in First!

On the menu it is well precised: "Nescafé coffee and cappuccino offered with Michel Cluizel chocolates"
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
I still find KLM's coffee passably ok, even if it is instant.
KL is actually not instant. And it is indeed better than AF!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by delanotre
Each time I flew in long haul First Class on AF, I need to ask for a real expresso with breakfeast instead of instantaneous coffee that is served! FA is obliged to go in business kitchen to prepare it as there is no coffee machine in First!

On the menu it is well precised: "Nescafé coffee and cappuccino offered with Michel Cluizel chocolates"
Agree, it is totally ridiculous. On the other hand those Illy espresso are fine (if and when FAs know how to use the machine well. Some do not wait till it warms sufficiently and then it is another disaster).
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
We'll have to agree to disagree on that part At least on the US airlines I fly frequently (AA, DL, US, and UA) I really find it pretty horrid, but in fairness, as someone who is European and lived in the US for several years, coffee preferences vary a lot between the US and much of Europe (and for that matter to a large extent within Europe).

That said, as I mentioned, I think it is irrelevant and as I mentioned, agree with you that AF coffee within Europe and in long haul Y in atrocious. Again, I find AZ's even worse and BA' just the same. All three are instant as are many more in Europe.

One thing to bear in mind is that because of the US love for filter coffee, multiple coffee makers are actually fitted in the galleys. This is a choice they make in terms of space useage, and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that this would be my preferred use for the same space available. If I had a choice, I would prefer them to fit the espresso machines discussed above and make espresso available in C, or alternatively use "French press" a la QF which make for much better coffee in my view than both instant (vastly) and filter (less vastly but still significantly).

That said, again, I find instant an atrocity, although as mentioned it is effectively still the dominant choice on many airlines both in Europe and beyond.
Amen to all of this.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Agree, it is totally ridiculous. On the other hand those Illy espresso are fine (if and when FAs know how to use the machine well. Some do not wait till it warms sufficiently and then it is another disaster).
Many airlines have invested in high technology in their F galleys to serve individually-prepared fresh dishes. Galley retrofit is expensive but allows much better F food. AF has not on most planes and it shows
On CX this morning, I had fresh scrambled eggs (done in the kitchen) with caviar and a few delicious cappuccinos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.