Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of social and political issues related to strikes in France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of social and political issues related to strikes in France

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jmbfrance
Suppose a company has three slots : 10:00 ; 10:15 ; 10:30 (I dont have the slightest idea if the slots work this way). Suppose the loading factor is 50%. I think it could be argued that the company only maintains one slot to prevent another company from flying at this time. But we are not lawyers, and my opinion is pure speculation.
But the airline would most certainly use the 10, 10.15, and 10.30 slots to fly to different destinations. AF does have flights 30 minutes apart as part of La Navette but those have a very healthy load overall so are not likely to be considered "artificially" kept.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you mean that the airline would make a mockery of the service by flying an empty aircraft x days a year just to make the 80% mark, I can see your point but frankly, I can't see it happening and am not aware of any European airline having done that (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong).
Actually, it has been known to happen at LHR and attracted vivid criticism from the press for flying "empty planes". . This could clearly be regarded as an abuse by a schedule coordinator, though.

PPS: a genuine question - "missing" 20% of the flights for a given slot for the summer season would mean missing 40 days. If, for the sake of argument, the strike days added to the days the airline has chosen to not offer a flight for a given slot for commercial purposes (e.g. if they choose not to fly every day in July August for instance) exceed 40 (e.g. the airline chose not to use the slot for 25 days in total and the flight has been cancelled every of the so far 15 days of the strike), could this constitute reason for an airline to request that the slot be removed from AF's control? I know it would be cheeky to "twice punish" AF for the strike it is suffering and would be inelegant of a competitor to use it against them, but as a theoretical question?
A slot series is a time-and-day-of-the-week series (thus Mondays 10am is not in the same slot series as Tuesdays 10am). If my calculations are right, and assuming that we have a slot series over the whole summer season period (you can also have shorter slot series down to a minimum of 5 weeks), you would need to cancel in over 5 weeks to reach the 20% threshold. I guess that you would probably play around with your slot portfolio and choice of which flights to cancel if there was a risk of reaching the threshold.

Moreover, there are exceptions to the 80% use-it-or-lose-it rule for a number of events outside the carrier's control, including "interruption of air services due to action intended to affect these services which makes it practically and/or technically impossible for the air carrier to carry out operations as planned" (Article 10(4)(b) of the Reg). This could be read to cover internal strikes and I believe that this is how schedule coordinators normally read this but I am not aware of judicial interpretations of it.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmbfrance
What you are saying makes sense and you are probably right. This sort of things explain why the support to the european idea is so saddly ebbing away in France.
I could not disagree more. The idea of taking away from national political institutions the power to interfere with the market and allocate favours and privileges to undertakings on the basis of political considerations is the very cornerstone of the European single market.
IMO, it is a very good thing that governments are not at liberty to allocate slots at congested airports to whoever they want and have, instead, to designate independent bodies and require them to follow established, objective rules.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by NickB
... and in case of conflict, EU law prevails over conflicting national law. This is one of the most basic principle of EU law, established some 50 years ago and accepted by national courts, in France as elsewhere in the EU. The era of Syndicat Général des Fabricants de Semoules or of the Cohn-Bendit decision has (to the great chagrin of our esteemed moderator ) passed a very long time ago.
Arggh.

But I still enjoy couscous
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you mean that the airline would make a mockery of the service by flying an empty aircraft x days a year just to make the 80% mark, I can see your point but frankly, I can't see it happening and am not aware of any European airline having done that (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong)
Green Anger at 'Ghost Flights'

Johan
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Thanks (to you and NickB) for pointing this out - I had completely missed it!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:49 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
SNPL failed on at least one issue: their call for an external mediator, which was denied by the French government, could have led, if it had been successful, to the ouster of the airline group's CEO.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
SNPL failed on at least one issue: their call for an external mediator, which was denied by the French government, could have led, if it had been successful, to the ouster of the airline group's CEO.
Indeed it seems that after the couac last week of the announcement concerning Transavia Europe that the government has been a firm supporter of the AF management and shown positive signs of supporting business instead of Unions.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I have never heard of a mediator making the recommendation of the ouster of a CEO or of a union leader. But anything can probably happen in France.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: Many
Europe 1 reported this morning that unions now want the pilots to be paid for their strike :
http://www.europe1.fr/economie/air-f...-payes-2245807

Good news is : they are talking only about the base pay, not the bonuses they usually get for flying

Of course AF management refuses.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by bodory
Europe 1 reported this morning that unions now want the pilots to be paid for their strike :

Good news is : they are talking only about the base pay, not the bonuses they usually get for flying

What a joke
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Good for them!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Many
More details here (French only) : http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2014...s-de-greve.php

Practically, here is how it works :
- pilot is due to fly CDG-JFK on Monday and fly back on Tuesday (landing Wednesday morning)
- pilot says to AF with a 48h notice : I will be on strike on Monday (only)
- de facto pilot cannot work on Tuesday because AF is not sending him to JFK because another pilot is on strike that day
- pilot claims his base pay for the Tuesday and Wednesday
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Does that mean they'll go back on strike? And would the feeble AF mgmt cave in?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
More details here (French only) : http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2014...s-de-greve.php

Practically, here is how it works :
- pilot is due to fly CDG-JFK on Monday and fly back on Tuesday (landing Wednesday morning)
- pilot says to AF with a 48h notice : I will be on strike on Monday (only)
- de facto pilot cannot work on Tuesday because AF is not sending him to JFK because another pilot is on strike that day
- pilot claims his base pay for the Tuesday and Wednesday
Let's continue the example.
Then the pilot has three normal days of rest in Paris on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, he will get paid anyway for those. As AF pilot fly some than 600 hours per year (50 per month or 25 per two-weeks). That means that on CDG-HKG, a pilot will typically do one rotation per two-week (duration of the strike) and rest two days in HK. That might be an extreme example, but if they can only claim as striking day the day of the initial CDG-HKG, they will be paid for 13 days over the strike period. Even if they lose their pay for the return HKG-CDG, they will still get paid for a mjor part of the 14-day strike. I understand that it only applies to the fixed part of the salary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.