Wiki Posts
Search

September 2014 Air France Pilot Strike? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I'm on the same flight. Its completely booked now, and I'm guessing they absorbed as much of Monday's flight as they could. Hope it happens!
I think that they have zeroed all longhaul flights as they do not want to accept new bookings. it does not mean that the flight is full.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:50 pm

LAX-CDG flight cancelled. Tried calling KLM as suggested, and they could rebook, but you still had to pay like $700-$2000 for the privilege. Any way to get rebooked without paying an arm and a leg? What gives?

To answer my own question, just called KLM/Delta again and got a different person, who got it sorted.

Last edited by amely; Sep 14, 2014 at 9:48 pm Reason: Answered own question
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:16 am

Hello, I am from Mumbai (India) and have been following this forum for last 2 days. I called Air France today to check the status of my AF Mumbai-Paris flight scheduled on 22nd Sept. They said at any given time, they can predict the status only for next 48 hours. So far most flights from India (Delhi, Mumbai) to Paris have been cancelled till tomorrow. They assured me that if things don't improve they will book us on other flights and will try their best to give us nearly same arrival times with max 1 hour difference. Now, I don't know whether to go by what they say or act right away by cancelling my flight. I have hotels and 2 trains booked in France on specific dates. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:18 am

ONLY 2 flights NCE - ORY on 09/16

ONLY 2 flights NCE - ORY on 09/16 , that's far from 50%
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
The 50% rate is network-wide, so with a lot of differences between the regions...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
September 2014 Air France Pilot Strike? [merged]

Lufthansa pilots will be on strike tomorrow.

That takes away many alternatives to people that were grounded by AF.

Good luck to all those traveling on one of those airlines!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: Many
Only one CPH-CDG flight today as opposed to five on a normal Monday. Yesterday's evening flight was fully packed.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:09 am

So my flight was cancelled, as expdcted. Luckily I booked a backup flight and took the risk, banking on this happening.

It says if the flight is cancelled you can ask for a refund (my ticket is eligible).

Does anyone know if I have a time limit to ask for this? I'm currently in Venice, I can't call the US toll free number, and the Wifi at the hotel is not so great. Getting the info seems to be a hassle.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: LH FTL, KL Platinum, AB Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
compensation if only return flight cancelled

What compensation are you entitled if you only cancel / postpone your return flight? (In this case I will book a single fare on a competing airline with MILES).
Thanks for the info
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
We all know that there are many ways to present statistics. AF probably includes in the non-cancelled flights all those that are AF-coded but operated by another airline (DL, AZ, HOP,...).
Looking at Tuesday, ALL flights from CDG to TLS and NCE are cancelled. Only 2 out of 18 from ORY to NCE and 1 out of 8 to TLS. The percentage of AF flights cancelled is much worse than originally announced, even if some international destinations have a better percentage.
HKG is also cancelled on Tuesday. There must be quite a few FA/pilot teams stranded abroad.

Good luck to all AF and LH pax.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dominikkk
To my big surprise my fully booked flight on Tuesday morning got cancelled. Huge surprise, really as, all the four flights ex WAW on Monday were fully booked, too, so I thought they'd keep them no matter what.
How do you know they were fully booked? They might have zero'ed inventory in the expectation of having to cancel and consolidate flights.
The drawback: no FB miles with SN
In case of involuntary rerouting on a non-Skyteam carrier, you can ask to be credited as per the original itinerary.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
We all know that there are many ways to present statistics. AF probably includes in the non-cancelled flights all those that are AF-coded but operated by another airline (DL, AZ, HOP,...).
Looking at Tuesday, ALL flights from CDG to TLS and NCE are cancelled. Only 2 out of 18 from ORY to NCE and 1 out of 8 to TLS. The percentage of AF flights cancelled is much worse than originally announced, even if some international destinations have a better percentage.
HKG is also cancelled on Tuesday. There must be quite a few FA/pilot teams stranded abroad.

Good luck to all AF and LH pax.
IME, Disproportionate cancelling of domestic flights is SOP across most airlines (at least in Europe), partly on the ground that there are usually more alternative for transportation domestically than internationally. I suspect that this is probably a more significant explanatory factor than alleged stats manipulation.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
IME, Disproportionate cancelling of domestic flights is SOP across most airlines (at least in Europe), partly on the ground that there are usually more alternative for transportation domestically than internationally. I suspect that this is probably a more significant explanatory factor than alleged stats manipulation.
I understand your point. But domestic cancellations seems to be in the order of 90%, so 10% operating. You would need an average for AF-metal European operating flights to be well above 50% to get the average to 50%.
I did not look at all European destinations, but that does not seem to be true.

Tuesday's scheduled cancellations are worse than for Monday. I wonder why.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by brunos
I understand your point. But domestic cancellations seems to be in the order of 90%, so 10% operating. You would need an average for AF-metal European operating flights to be well above 50% to get the average to 50%.
I did not look at all European destinations, but that does not seem to be true.

Tuesday's scheduled cancellations are worse than for Monday. I wonder why.
Air France always state cancellation percentage for the whole network. Long-haul flights are always less impacted than medium-haul, thus 40% overall of flights opearting can mean 10% on medium-haul.

Cancellations will be worse as of Wednesday. For Monday/Tuesday, Air France can use crew staff that are usually on ground duties such as upper management, etc, or spare crews. After a couple of days, that manpower is not available anymore and usually end up in more cancellations.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:39 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Mokshu
Cancellations will be worse as of Wednesday. For Monday/Tuesday, Air France can use crew staff that are usually on ground duties such as upper management, etc, or spare crews. After a couple of days, that manpower is not available anymore and usually end up in more cancellations.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.