Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France misplaced Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Air France misplaced Luggage

Five us including two young grandchildren flew Air France from JFK to CDG. Luggage didn't arrive. We were told it would be on the next flight. Waited 3 hours, flight arrived, no luggage. Spent 12 days in Europe with no luggage. No help nor compensation from Air France. Submitted claim information thru the Air France website 3 times, no response. Luggage sent back to home while we were in France. People should be warned: Be sure to have at least one change of clothes in your carry-on as well as any needed medication. Air France turned this expensive vacation was turned into a nightmare.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by jklipscomb
Five us including two young grandchildren flew Air France from JFK to CDG. Luggage didn't arrive. We were told it would be on the next flight. Waited 3 hours, flight arrived, no luggage. Spent 12 days in Europe with no luggage.
I am sorry to hear that you did not get your luggage during your vacation. That happened to me before and will happen to me in the future with any airline in the world.
That happened to be 12 times in 2013, sometimes just between ORY and MPL...
What is important to know is that, in CDG, you should never wait for your luggage if somebody tells you it is on the next flight. Just fill the claim with Luggage Service clerks providing all détails about your luggage and the detailed locations where you will stay during your vacation so they can deliver them at the right place.
Giving a phone number that will be active during your whole stay is also key.

No help nor compensation from Air France. Submitted claim information thru the Air France website 3 times, no response.
No help in what terms? They should give you basic amenities (they suck, indeed especially the SkyTeam t-shirt ), and tell that you can claim your expenses about clothing and basic products afterwards.
Also, these kind of claims might take sometimes to process.

People should be warned: Be sure to have at least one change of clothes in your carry-on as well as any needed medication.
True, but that is valid all the time! I personally avoid checking any luggage when trip < 8 nights, but sometimes I understand some people have to.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sorry for your experience. Unfortunately this happens frequently with all airlines. The odds depend on the arriving/departing airports.
When you travel away from home, you can purchase "essentials" and submit receipts for reimbursement. You cannot expect any other "help" or compensation from airlines. The limit per bag is around 1,200 EUR.
All experienced travelers learn that they need to cary son set of clothing and essential medication in their carry-on.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I have submitted claims to Air France 3 times in the last 4 weeks. No response, not even an email indicating they received it. They expect you to submit claims AFTER the trip but offer no help during the trip, when you really need it. I'll never forget my 6 year old granddaughter shivering from wet and cold on what should have been a nice vacation. I have no sympathy for the arrogance and callousness of these people. From here on, I'll enjoy any ill fortune that befalls any airline.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I have submitted claims to Air France 3 times in the last 4 weeks. No response, not even an email indicating they received it. They expect you to submit claims AFTER the trip but offer no help during the trip, when you really need it.
What did you expect? If they misplace your luggage, they do what they can to make them come to you as soon as possible and offer you to reimburse you afterwards for clothes and amenities you need. In a gesture of goodwill, they would offer you FB miles very frequently.

I'll never forget my 6 year old granddaughter shivering from wet and cold on what should have been a nice vacation. I have no sympathy for the arrogance and callousness of these people. From here on, I'll enjoy any ill fortune that befalls any airline.
I cannot imagine you could not buy some warm clothes to your granddaughter and get reimbursed by Air France afterwards ? Again, I am not sure how they could help? By giving you clothes proactively?

So yes, you need to pay and then get reimbursed for clothes and amenities while they search for your luggage, but after all they give the money back to you, and your travel insurance (maybe your credit card company) may also cover for baggage delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.