Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New rival to AF on CDG-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It is indeed. To be honest, I think the blogger was a bit naive if he thought this would be a stunning J product. The explainations from the airline about the angled seat etc suggested that they are really trying to aim for Premium Economy plus/business class minus product.

It seems to be just about it, with poor organisation (but that might be the beginning), a rather mediocre soft product (but come on, when you compare it to the soft product on AF W...) but a significantly better seat than AF W or BA W or even EC W which is already much better than the previous two.

So if one wants a good J product, surely this is not what they would fly. If, on the other hand, one wants to fly a much better seat than mainstream airlines' W, on a relatively short direct flight and in a relatively exclusive cabin, I do think that this would be a competitive product if the price remains the same and one does not care about miles or alliance (including what alliances mean in case your flight is cancelled or delayed!)
La Compagnie markets their service a business class product for a fraction of the cost. They are not claiming it is a W(+) product. The intimation is that it is "as good" as competitor J products. It is quite within the author's prerogative to judge the product on the basis of that marketing, in my view. The fact it falls short is not a surprise to any of us but then our views of the world are clouded by being AF frequent fliers.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Calchas
La Compagnie markets their service a business class product for a fraction of the cost. They are not claiming it is a W(+) product. The intimation is that it is "as good" as competitor J products. It is quite within the author's prerogative to judge the product on the basis of that marketing, in my view.
Honestly? One could indeed take everything marketing people tell us at face value but to be honest, I think that we would be wasting a lot of time in life if we always did that. Sure, "La Compagnie" tell us that they can rival more full service airlines J the same way that AF claimed that NEV4 was a "full sleep" seat or that British Airways promise that you will get "delicious meals" in long haul Y and that QR promises that their 31" Y seat constitutes "spacious seating".

I understand your point to judge the airlines on what they say cabin-wise, but I'll admit that personally, I essentially try to ignore any marketing claim and look at the few key facts they betray. And as far as that is concerned, when I see that a new "business" airline goes for sloppy seats, I know right away that I won't compare them to the top business class airlines any more than I did when l'Avion, Maxjet and the like claimed they were offering "all business class" airlines.

I didn't say that it would make them W but in my view, it automatically puts them "in between" W and J at best (hence my calling eat "W+/J-"). That said, again, I'll accept the idea that it makes me cynical but I would have thought that many travel bloggers would be the same.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Honestly? One could indeed take everything marketing people tell us at face value but to be honest, I think that we would be wasting a lot of time in life if we always did that.
I am not precisely saying we should believe the marketing, I'm saying that if a product wants to describe itself as fulfilling some certain standard, it is entirely reasonable for a product review to test whether the product meets the standard it advertises—even if it is obvious it will fail from the outset to an industry expert.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Calchas
I am not precisely saying we should believe the marketing, I'm saying that if a product wants to describe itself as fulfilling some certain standard, it is entirely reasonable for a product review to test whether the product meets the standard it advertises—even if it is obvious it will fail from the outset to an industry expert.
Fair enough ^
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I flew Openskies a few times from IAD-Orly. Originally, the appeal was that it was substantially cheaper than AF affaires. But the price creeped up, their business class (unless you got biz bed) was really more like premium economy, and so I went back to AF, where I also appreciate accumulating miles. The last flight on Openskies I took had exactly 4 people on it from IAD to Orly. Admittedly, it was the day after a holiday. I had a hunch it would not last long (it also made me concerned about the dependability of future flight service), and they shortly thereafter stopped flying out of IAD.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I flew Openskies a few times from IAD-Orly. Originally, the appeal was that it was substantially cheaper than AF affaires. But the price creeped up, their business class (unless you got biz bed) was really more like premium economy, and so I went back to AF, where I also appreciate accumulating miles. The last flight on Openskies I took had exactly 4 people on it from IAD to Orly. Admittedly, it was the day after a holiday. I had a hunch it would not last long (it also made me concerned about the dependability of future flight service), and they shortly thereafter stopped flying out of IAD.
Their business class is what is called Biz bed and it is a flat bed, better than AF angled seat. The premium economy product Prem Plus is also much betetr than AF PE. They now added an economy section. It seems that their loads to New York are quite good.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Their business class is what is called Biz bed and it is a flat bed, better than AF angled seat. The premium economy product Prem Plus is also much betetr than AF PE. They now added an economy section. It seems that their loads to New York are quite good.
+1. I also find their product better - effectively - in all three classes of service.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I think (it was several years ago), at the time there was only "biz seat" and "biz bed". The biz seat was not fully reclining, though the food and service seemed pretty much up to business class standards, so I would agree it was better than AF E+, though not better than Affaires. Flying in and out of Orly was nice, too. Since they ceased flying out of IAD, though, it is a moot point for me.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I think (it was several years ago), at the time there was only "biz seat" and "biz bed". The biz seat was not fully reclining, though the food and service seemed pretty much up to business class standards, so I would agree it was better than AF E+, though not better than Affaires. Flying in and out of Orly was nice, too. Since they ceased flying out of IAD, though, it is a moot point for me.
There were three stages.
Initially, it was this French company "Lavion", started in 2007. Seats were reclining 140o.
It was taken by BA as Openskies (bought 2008, merged with Openskies in 2009). For a time they used their planes and original equipment. Then they retrofitted the "old" NCW flat beds (Biz bed), the flat bed, along with the excellent PE Biz seats.
Recently they moved to a three-class config with flat beds, PE and Y.

Hence, the business class seats have been flat beds for quite a few years.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:08 pm

Interesting trip report!
I would fly them if the timing works and if the price is aligned to AF or BA's PE, I will consider them for a leisure trip.

Case in point, I have two leisure trips coming in September, and just purchased PE with AF and BA (Openskies), because La Compagnie is not flying on the days I need them and I don't have the flexibility.

Given the amateur service and charter-style food, I will wait a bit!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by af fp
Interesting trip report!
I would fly them if the timing works and if the price is aligned to AF or BA's PE, I will consider them for a leisure trip.

Case in point, I have two leisure trips coming in September, and just purchased PE with AF and BA (Openskies), because La Compagnie is not flying on the days I need them and I don't have the flexibility.

Given the amateur service and charter-style food, I will wait a bit!
Are there pictures posted of their various seats somewhere on Flyertalk or externally? I find this to be invaluable when deciding which product is better but find it surprisingly difficult to find photos.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Are there pictures posted of their various seats somewhere on Flyertalk or externally? I find this to be invaluable when deciding which product is better but find it surprisingly difficult to find photos.
Does the drawing in the article linked in post 1 count? Or failing that the photos posted on the airline's website?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know which gate they use at EWR? Wondering if it's the same terminal as DL. I know they use B, but there are different piers and I want to use DL lounge before flight instead of pre-security Art lounge they use.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
From the Daily Mail website:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...e-airline.html
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yep, saw it while trying to figure out what sort of horror would be written on the "English votes for English laws" debate and proposed end of the Barnett solution. I think that this will prove very good advertising for La Compagnie (and indeed, the readers comments lack the French bashing I was half expecting there )

However, to me the main news was that a new airline called Odyssey is planning to take BA on the CWLCY route from 2016! I'll admit that I am a little surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.