Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New rival to AF on CDG-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Goldorak
well, we can say they failed and succeeded. They succeeded because the operations are still here, although under a completely different business model (not all J class, completely integrated in BA so with perks like FFP, etc). But they failed because the ops were unsustainable on their own and they would have been bankrupt immediately if not bought by BA. Also, AFAIK, they have never been profitable, even with BA (although, I didn't read some more recent news, especially since they introduced Y).
I don't think the original investors lost money in Elysair/L'Avion, hence why they are repeating the same mistake with La Compagnie

I completely agree then My point was merely that the investors might not have lost money on all the previous ventures - but I admit that, if the only option was to sell to BA the first time, they might not get so "lucky" this time.

As a side note, I met someone who was involved with L'Avion a few years ago, and I do remember him saying that they had to sell to BA, as they were unsustainable in the long term. He also said that the airline was a success, but he might not have been completely objective
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by HasteFlier
I met someone who was involved with L'Avion a few years ago, and I do remember him saying that they had to sell to BA
But I don't think they gave it to BA for free
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Also, AFAIK, they have never been profitable, even with BA (although, I didn't read some more recent news, especially since they introduced Y).
My understanding is that it is currently a sustainable operation which is profitable following a number of reforms (focusing on the JFK and EWR routes, joining the JV and offering AA codeshare, moving to three class, and moving to Orly W to maximise connection opportunities with both AF and BA flights.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
My understanding is that it is currently a sustainable operation which is profitable following a number of reforms (focusing on the JFK and EWR routes, joining the JV and offering AA codeshare, moving to three class, and moving to Orly W to maximise connection opportunities with both AF and BA flights.
Makes sense. Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:27 pm

How do you even buy a ticket? They are not loaded into Sabre GDS, nor can I find any website for this entreprise on Google - only links to stories about it, most published within the past week and referencing a July 11 startup. And none of the stories I have seen mention a website or phone number to contact for sales!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by PHLFlyer
How do you even buy a ticket? They are not loaded into Sabre GDS, nor can I find any website for this entreprise on Google - only links to stories about it, most published within the past week and referencing a July 11 startup. And none of the stories I have seen mention a website or phone number to contact for sales!
http://www.lacompagnie.com/fr
Not sure if this link works outside of France.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLFlyer
Originally Posted by olivedel
http://www.lacompagnie.com/fr
Not sure if this link works outside of France.
I think they are still not yet allowed to sell tickets from the US.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
This may be one of the dumbest ideas I've seen in recent memory. They will be using an obsolete hard product, and there will be no real mileage program with other airlines.

Great. All of the downsides of the old AF product with none of the benefits.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I think they are still not yet allowed to sell tickets from the US.
update : apparently the US DOT has now granted the necessary rights/route authority to La Compagnie.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

update : apparently the US DOT has now granted the necessary rights/route authority to La Compagnie.
Where are you seeing that? The /en section of the website is still not active that I can see.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sbm12
Where are you seeing that? The /en section of the website is still not active that I can see.
It's written on their website.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:42 am

I can only see an opportunistic move here. Make a few bucks on one of the busiest premium long haul routes out of Paris which can be served with a small old plane. Or start a franchise that can be sold quickly to a big AF competitor, probably LH. It would be interesting to see both LH and BA with bases in Paris while AF is not in LHR and FRA (for good reasons though, DL seems to be a stronger ally, in terms of quality at least, than AA or UA)...

Last edited by af fp; Jun 29, 2014 at 4:52 am
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by af fp
I can only see an opportunistic move here. Make a few bucks on one of the busiest premium long haul routes out of Paris which can be served with a small old plane. Or start a franchise that can be sold quickly to a big AF competitor, probably LH. It would be interesting to see both LH and BA with bases in Paris while AF is not in LHR and FRA (for good reasons though, DL seems to be a stronger ally, in terms of quality at least, than AA or UA)...
I'm not really sure about DL being a stronger ally than AA or UA. At one point, AF did try to open transatlantic flights from LHR which is Europe's largest market, but they failed.

My guess is that BA had the intelligence to get on a service which is different from their mainline with Openskies: smaller planes (752s, while AF used a 772 from LHR) and with a slightly simplified service which allows BA/EC to offer cheaper fares than AF in all three classes of service (Y, W, J). AF did not use a similarly flexible approach. Instead, they offered their mainline product which is unfortunately inferior to both main LHR competitors (BA and VS) and at prices that were essentially equivalent while the installed players obviously have a natural advantage.

The LH strategy seems to be different: rather than develop their brand, they buy airlines, so effectively, they have indirectly developped activities from ZRH, GVA, VIE, or BRU without any need to use their own planes.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:05 am

I see DL as stronger than AA and UA from the point of view of the quality of their service in business class.

Indeed LH are buying airlines instead of bringing their own planes and I see them doing just this in Paris if they could.

As for AF not having had the right approach in London, I agree, they did not have a compelling product, but at least they did not invest in a whole new brand and infrastructure. Maybe they should have taken the risk. But AF seems to be slowly abandoning the UK to KL.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Regarding Lufthansa: during the period in which they bought the airlines that you mentioned they also followed an approach where they did build their own fleet. Remember Lufthansa Italia? Today, LH Italia failed and they weren't happy with all their purchases (got rid of bmi, Austrian needed very very heavy restructuring). So today they are done with that, they are busier with maintaining the position that they have with their legacy carriers, with making work their Germanwings venture, and pondering whether to create a true LCC. Buying La Compagnie? Why? They could have bought l'Avion when they were still in the "let's buy airlines" phase of their corporate development. Now that they are no longer,why would they buy an airline which compared to L'Avion operates in a market that has become even more competitive?

Don't think so, unless they're completely stupid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.