Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG 2E Business lounge closed for 2 months

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My DL MSP-CDG flight arrived at M but departed from K the following week. I don't think they tow the plane to another gate during a two hour international turnaround. On departure, I noticed DL aircraft parked at both K and M. BTW, DL online flight status doesn't show the gate, even after the flight.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My DL MSP-CDG flight arrived at M but departed from K the following week. I don't think they tow the plane to another gate during a two hour international turnaround. On departure, I noticed DL aircraft parked at both K and M. BTW, DL online flight status doesn't show the gate, even after the flight.
Indeed, terminal 2E is just that: one terminal, and the three piers within terminal 2E are not in any way ascribed to specific flights. The only certainties are:

- A380 cannot arrive at/leave from the K gates
- The M gates close earlier than the rest of the terminal and thus do not handle afternoon/evening departures

In addition, there is a "tendency" that medium haul non-Schengen flights (e.g. UK, Russia, TLV, etc) tend to leave from the K gates but even then I would not swear that this is systematic.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In addition, there is a "tendency" that medium haul non-Schengen flights (e.g. UK, Russia, TLV, etc) tend to leave from the K gates but even then I would not swear that this is systematic.
Southwestern jetbridges of L pier are most of the time connected to A32S aircrafts as well.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
There are plenty of non-Schengen medium-haul flights from L. But, I agree that UK flights are mostly from K.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
There are plenty of non-Schengen medium-haul flights from L. But, I agree that UK flights are mostly from K.
If operated by Flybe (quite a few), they will always either:
- Be parked at the L terminal (southwest)
- Bus from the L terminal southwest
- Bus from K20-29 (the downstairs bus depot just after the Virgin store)

The same mostly applies to flights operated by City jet as well, although on rare occasions I've seen them parked at K

Hop flights always bus from K20-29
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by delanotre
(AF TA. website)

As of 1 July 2014, the Business Lounge located in Terminal 2E at Charles de Gaulle airport will be closed for repairs and renovations.
This closure is expected to last 2 months.
During this period, customers will be greeted in roof gardens, a new concept created by Air France.
Both ephemeral spaces are located in Terminal 2E.
The AF corporate site describes the french garden view
http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pr...les-de-gaulle/
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I still don't understand why they call it a "roof garden", it really makes no sense to me!

As for "meet all the traveller's expectations", that assumes that said traveller does not want a shower after a long haul flight, real food (god knows what those "gourmet pre-packed snacks" are, but I would bet on the usual crisps, crackers, or biscuits, etc which magically become gourmet because AF says so).

To me, if they were being genuine instead of overselling it ("we need to refurbish the lounge so in the meantime, we set aside some temporary accommodation for our premium travellers and ST elite plus members which we tried to make as pleasant as possible with a summer theme despite the space constraint. We are sorry that you cannot benefit from our usual comprehensive lounge experience in July-August if you leave from terminal 2E K gates but hope that you will enjoy this summery interlude and will enjoy the fully renovated lounges which will be even better than before from September") this would lead to far happier customers at the end.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that AF can never resist the temptation to go over the top with lyricism and pink-colouring the truth even when it is obvious that people who will experience it will immediately find out that this is a step below a normal lounge.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
More utter marketing BS. "French garden". And they write it as if they had entered into some design partnership with a furniture manufacturer to design the lounge chairs. C'mon. Take one of those little luggage trolleys, go down the road to Castorama, buy some deck chairs, bring them up to CDG, clean them, and you're done. Just surprised that they over-hyping did not include "This French garden is actually nicer than the real one. Sure, you can only get there after security controls and above you is a ceiling and not the sky, but there are no "dog-remains", and dustbins get emptied more than every couple of days"

Just call it what it is: a separate waiting area. Lufthansa had something like that in the past in FRA where next to every gate was a small area with some tables, some drinks, newspapers, and only premium customers had access to it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
More utter marketing BS. "French garden". And they write it as if they had entered into some design partnership with a furniture manufacturer to design the lounge chairs. C'mon. Take one of those little luggage trolleys, go down the road to Castorama, buy some deck chairs, bring them up to CDG, clean them, and you're done. Just surprised that they over-hyping did not include "This French garden is actually nicer than the real one. Sure, you can only get there after security controls and above you is a ceiling and not the sky, but there are no "dog-remains", and dustbins get emptied more than every couple of days"

Just call it what it is: a separate waiting area. Lufthansa had something like that in the past in FRA where next to every gate was a small area with some tables, some drinks, newspapers, and only premium customers had access to it.
"After extensive research, we have chosen a unique concept of synthetic grass so that you can enjoy the ultimate luxury of a French summer garden while being free of the disruptive presence of ants and flies. To perfect the atmosphere of a hot summer day, our drinks will be served without fridge or ice cubes to remind you of the warmth of summer months on the world famous French coastline. We kept chairs to a minimum to encourage passengers to playfully sit down on the floor as they would, at home, in the relaxing atmosphere of their fantastic backyard."
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
"After extensive research, we have chosen a unique concept of synthetic grass so that you can enjoy the ultimate luxury of a French summer garden while being free of the disruptive presence of ants and flies. To perfect the atmosphere of a hot summer day, our drinks will be served without fridge or ice cubes to remind you of the warmth of summer months on the world famous French coastline. We kept chairs to a minimum to encourage passengers to playfully sit down on the floor as they would, at home, in the relaxing atmosphere of their fantastic backyard."
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: DM/3MM
The temporary lounge is pretty bad. The lounge agents at both K as well as M yesterday were fairly embarrassed by the set up.

I had no problem asking for access to a lounge in L or M (I chose M). The agent in K wrote a note on my boarding pass that would allow me to get into M. That said, it was not smooth...there is no clear way to exit K (or M) once you are through security. A security officer told me that I could get out of K going through reverse via lane 1 (meaning go through the metal detector in the opposite direction). Out of M, also go all the way to the right (which has double access doors). Easy to exit, but it took awhile to figure out how to get back to the train.

At M security, I initially had an issue getting access, but another security person came over and was familiar with the issue of people wanting to get away from the K lounge.

So you can access the other lounges, but you'll have to reenter security at each pier, so allow enough time for that.

Re: flights leaving from CDG to the US, they can leave from any pier, as they were yesterday, e.g. I left from K, the DL flight to JFK left from M, etc.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
This is a major inconvenience for me.

On 8/1, I am flying into CDG on a schengen short-haul, and I have a five hour layover before AF72 in Biz.

So, I could have five hours without lounge access. Perfect...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by adrouault
This is a major inconvenience for me.

On 8/1, I am flying into CDG on a schengen short-haul, and I have a five hour layover before AF72 in Biz.

So, I could have five hours without lounge access. Perfect...
No, you can go to the lounge in L.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:22 am

I have a 3 hour layover in 2E early next month before connecting to AF176 which is operated by Vietnam Airlines, does anyone know which pier the VN flight normally leaves from ?

Am assuming not M as its 1400hrs departure so either K or L.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Airframe
I have a 3 hour layover in 2E early next month before connecting to AF176 which is operated by Vietnam Airlines, does anyone know which pier the VN flight normally leaves from ?

Am assuming not M as its 1400hrs departure so either K or L.
You are correct saying it should be K or L, but it's impossible to know in advance which pier they will use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.