Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK lounge closed for ten weeks starting May 2nd

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:59 am

Question updates

Dear all,

Any updates on the JFK lounge opening? What is the P section supposed to be like at JFK, appreciate any information on what the new lounge offerings might be?

Regards,
Zalmi
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: AF FB Platinum, BA EC Bronze, Swiss M&M FT, Marriott Plat
In the new AF Magazine (September issue), it is written that the lounge reopened at the end of August (but not sure it is the case as when I flew out of JFK, AF rebooked me on a DL flight from terminal 4 because my initial flight was delayed).
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:46 am

Anybody have updates? Surprised nothing is posted here especially given there is supposed to be a P area. Regards
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:29 am

Ground agent at JFK: October earliest.
Construction in NYC...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by af fp
Ground agent at JFK: October earliest.
Construction in NYC...
are you serious ? We are talking of a closure during at least 5 months ???? I hope it will be a palace after such a renovation
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
From AF magazine, september release :

"The iconic lounge in NY JFK reopened late august after a total redesign. It's decidedly contemporary, with an architectural style opting for soft curves and a predominantly white and wood decor. This new world is defined by red accents and references to Air France. Exceptional new services are available : a Clarins Skin Spa with 2 cabins reserved for our La Premičre customers, and a separate VIP space with meals served by a Maître d'hôtel."

"Two buffets offering hot and cold food present a palette of French gastronomy, depending on the time of the day. The relaxation area, in the center of the lounge and features soft lightning, comfy seats and chaises longues. If you are tempted by a beauty treatment, our partner Clarins offers facials free of charge. The brand's products are available in the shower room. For our La Premičre customers, the VIP lounge is now on the mezzanine. In this cozy atmosphere, passengers can choose to dine prior to boarding, with dishes by Joël Robuchon, served by a maître d'hôtel."

Obviously, the P ground service is becoming very decent in JFK now.
I don't know if the VIP area (P pax) is using the entire mezzanine floor (as it was before) or just a part of it.

Among other interesting and good news, not about JFK lounge :
- "A new catering service is available in the lounges at terminal 2F (1 & 2), and - an extra touch much appreciated by our customers - Champagne by the glass is offered free of charge." ^^^ The mention "by the glass" makes me think it will be similar as in NCE (you need to ask a waiter)
"- Access to AF lounges : La Premičre and business class passengers and Elite Plus (gold & platinum) members can bring one guest free of charge" : I don't know if it's a mistake or something really new, because until now, P and J class pax were not entitled any free guest. The French text says the same, so it's not a translation problem.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Goldorak
are you serious ? We are talking of a closure during at least 5 months ???? I hope it will be a palace after such a renovation
Anything better than the terribly uncozy JAL lounge that's temporarily in use!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: Many
"- Access to AF lounges : La Premičre and business class passengers and Elite Plus (gold & platinum) members can bring one guest free of charge" : I don't know if it's a mistake or something really new, because until now, P and J class pax were not entitled any free guest. The French text says the same, so it's not a translation problem.
IMO a typo in the French text has been translated in English : I cannot see why P & J pax would be entitled to guest one pax in NYC only.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by bodory
IMO a typo in the French text has been translated in English : I cannot see why P & J pax would be entitled to guest one pax in NYC only.
No, this text (guest allowance) was not about JFK lounge specifically but about lounge access in general. And as I said, the French text is the same, so it's not a translation mistake.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No, this text (guest allowance) was not about JFK lounge specifically but about lounge access in general. And as I said, the French text is the same, so it's not a translation mistake.
... but J pax can't have a guest for free (at JFK or elsewhere) unless they are ST E+! So it still does not make sense.

I saw the article in the AF magazine, but I'm still unclear whether the lounge actually has reopened or not! Those texts are written several weeks before publication and it would not be the first time one prints that something "has opened" because it was supposed to before publication date -- but in fact it might not have.

While I welcome proper-pre-flight dining for P pax, I don't understand why they do not offer the same facility for J pax the way BA does. In fairness, the JFK lounge food offerings were always nice and one could conceivably do a handy-worked meal out of it but it is not a proper pre-flight supper and I think that on those short flights, the BA concept really is excellent (and if AF could make the implementation better...)
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by orbitmic
... but J pax can't have a guest for free (at JFK or elsewhere) unless they are ST E+! So it still does not make sense.
I know. That's why I was asking if it was a mistake (because the rule we know is still in force) or if there was indeed a change in the policy.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I saw the article in the AF magazine, but I'm still unclear whether the lounge actually has reopened or not! Those texts are written several weeks before publication and it would not be the first time one prints that something "has opened" because it was supposed to before publication date
I thought the same.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I thought the same.
Great pessimistic minds think alike
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
"A new catering service is available in the lounges at terminal 2F (1 & 2), and - an extra touch much appreciated by our customers - Champagne by the glass is offered free of charge." ^^^ The mention "by the glass" makes me think it will be similar as in NCE (you need to ask a waiter)
The service is only available from 6pm to 8pm, according to AF Social Media team.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Following to a discussion with AF, I confirm that the JFK lounge has not reopen yet. It is for end September. I don't have any details for the reasons of the delay.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: AF FB Platinum, BA EC Bronze, Swiss M&M FT, Marriott Plat
Any news about the opening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.