Wiki Posts
Search

BO in J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

BO in J

Is there anything to be done when a fellow passenger has a strong body odor that permeates your cabin space?

Such was the case on a recent SFO-CDG flight in business class. The male passenger was sitting across from us.

There were other issues with this passenger (loud snoring, staring ( and not in a good way) at me and my same sex spouse).

Should I have said something to the FA...or just deal ( which is what we did) for the 10 hour flight.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Did you try to spray some perfume on the BOP while he was snoring? I would certainly do that! :-)
May I assume that there we no empty seats your husband and you could take that would move you away from the BOP? Sometimes rubbing your eye while, in fact, giving someone a middle finger can be quite effective.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sadly, I don't think anything can be done about others' personal hygiene, especially in such a confined space as an airplane. I don't quite see what the FAs could have been expected to do/say if you had told them and it would have put them in an embarrassing situation.

I am more concerned about the gentleman staring at you both "not in a good way". Could you say a bit more about what happened specifically? If he made you feel uncomfortable, I think there might have been a case to politely ask him if anything was the matter (but again, I would not involve the FAs at this stage unless he became explicitly inappropriate, insulting, or threatening).

Anyway, I feel for you. Those things happen and are extremely unpleasant.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I think there was something not quite right about this guy. He was probably about 60 years old. He just stared right at me every time I got up and it wasn't with a smile and a nod...but he wouldn't release the stare until I looked way. It was enough that I almost asked him if something was wrong....but at 35K over the Atlantic I choose not to engage. He was traveling alone but had repeated lengthy conversations (in French) with our FA.

My spouse was sitting on the aisle so he was closer to him and really felt/smelt the miasma.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by ajs123
Did you try to spray some perfume on the BOP while he was snoring? I would certainly do that! :-)
May I assume that there we no empty seats your husband and you could take that would move you away from the BOP? Sometimes rubbing your eye while, in fact, giving someone a middle finger can be quite effective.
In these occasions, I find it much more efficient to spray the perfume WHILE THE OFFENDER IS AWAKE AND LOOKING... You'd be surprised at how many times the offender gets the message and disappears in the lavatory to wash.

Having had the "privilege" of travelling a lot in countries where this happens frequently (oh, some African elevators....), I have had my share of these situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.