Search

Premium economy value for money?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Premium economy value for money?

Hi

For the first time I've done a HKG CDG and back in Premium Economy. IMHO it is not worth the money, especially the seats are terrible
With the PE price I could do two flight in economy without much more unconfort

Am I the only one unhappy with this?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Welcome to Flyertalk! No, if you do a little search on this forum for "Premium economy", you will find that opinion is very much split between those who are quite positive and very negative when it comes to AF PE. Those of us who do not like it tend to consider the seats very uncomfortable to sleep on and with insufficient recline. Those who like it point out that it is quite a bit better than Y on day flights with more legroom and feel a bit less promiscuous because of the small cabin. It seems to be one of those "love it of loathe it" products, just like marmite!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:48 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
My first trip in PE is next week--10hr flight LAX-CDG.

I will post my thoughts after.

Price was only $1,630 (Y was $1,250), so I decided to go for it.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I have the exact mixed feeling Orbitmic has described. What I like (compared to Y):
- the extra legroom and in general, the additional space you have (not negligible at all)
- the extra amenities (and services if you are not a FB Elite/Elite+)
- the mini-cabin
- the additional miles

What I dislike a lot:
- the lack of recline. For me, it's impossible to sleep in those seats.

So, overall for me, PV is a nice product for a day flight but not to sleep during a night flight. In this case, some Y seats are more comfortable like in the Airbus fleet + of course the great upper deck Y seats in the 744.

One a side note, the PV product works very well for AF. On many flights, the cabin is fully booked (or almost) weeks in advance. A slight improvement in the seat would make it an excellent product.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
airlines that have installed a fixed shell in Y+/Y have conceded that it is a fiasco in terms of comfort and have replaced them by conventional reclining seat. There must be some, but I have not been on airlines that currently have such a seat besides AF. This is too bad because, As Goldorak points out, the rest of the product is good. But for a long night flight one needs to sleep and get a comfy seat; this is not AF Y+ seat.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:20 am

For a FB Elite+ traveller, there are no benefits at all.

At the beginning, if found this product interesting, but having had some night flights strapped on those punishing seats, I strongly suggest to buy only an eco one (in fact, it is better for sleeping, you are maybe cramped, but your back is not aching), the price difference is very important, or to use another company.

PV is often fully booked, indeed, but remember there are very few seats.

One more point : I saw twice pax upgraded from Eco to Biz and walking up the aisle a carry on in tow, on a night flight, my being in PV, and it is very frustrating.

For a day flight, PV is a good product, but avoid it during the night.

I cannot imagine AF changing these seats before 2020, even if competition is suppressing shell seats on eco+, because AF is very slow at accepting the idea they made a mistake.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:29 am

Personally I choose AF over other products because of the shell seat.

Just got off a trip involving two overnight PV flights with AF -- maybe out 5th or 6th trip using AF PV -- and we are still overall quite satisfied customers.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
As I have always stated here, I like the seat also for night flights. And for a Plat member you typically get significantly more miles, compared with an Eco ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:10 pm
Suspended

If the recline is only so so but the legroom significantly more, could you just not "slide down" and create more recline?
Did anyone actually measure the recline angle of PV and Y seats?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
If the recline is only so so but the legroom significantly more, could you just not "slide down" and create more recline?
No it wouldn't work because the limited recline and short seat base do not make this a realistic option.

I can't answer your second question but it is really very limited recline, it feels about the same as economy.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:25 pm

It is somewhat difficult to explain. Legroom is great, but when you "slide", the lower part of your back does not rely on anything and your shoulders and neck have a very uncomfortable angle. The recline is not the main problem, I would say the upper part of the seat is the problem.
For a day flight, it is a very good seat, indeed. For a night flight, not at all, in my opinion. The KL "Eco+" seat is far better for a night flight, it is narrower but reclines in a very pleasant way.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by jmbfrance
One more point : I saw twice pax upgraded from Eco to Biz and walking up the aisle a carry on in tow, on a night flight, my being in PV, and it is very frustrating.
Very likely onboard upgrade of crew's family and friends.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by bodory
Very likely onboard upgrade of crew's family and friends.
Indeed, when you see pax moving up once boarding is completed, it is typically staff/family/friends (not only friends of the crew onboard). The transaction usually involves a chocolate box.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jmbfrance
The recline is not the main problem, I would say the upper part of the seat is the problem.
That's exactly it. The headrest doesn't move (doesn't recline) and that's the problem of this seat for sleeping.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by 355F1
My first trip in PE is next week--10hr flight LAX-CDG.

I will post my thoughts after.

Price was only $1,630 (Y was $1,250), so I decided to go for it.
Would love to hear your impressions of PE. We'll be flying the 380 upper deck same route in a few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.