Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here it is... AF's new J seat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
The crazy part of the news is that the overhaul will not be fully completed before Summer 2016 (yes 2016) so you might still enjoy the crappy seats for another 30 months...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by brunos
AF seat has only two movable cushions (back and buttock) and is lacking the calf support cushion, but with a bigger fixed foot rest. It seems that there is no moveable calf support cushion on AF seat. This will be quite uncomfortable when seating, as I like to raise my legs.
It would appear that AF is again trying to save on weight by removing that part of the seat (like on NEV4).
This would be a fundamental shortcoming.

We got all carried away assuming AF had asked for the same seat as competition's, only lamenting lack of innovation.

Well, innovation there is: à la AF!

Too little too late...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: FB-PFL ; LH-FT
I am wondering what IFE system it will be: the remote seems a new one, different from Thales or eX2.

Nothing mentioned about the way they will manage to change the config. There was a short animation aired on news yesterday that is not on AF website.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:19 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by freretuc
I am wondering what IFE system it will be: the remote seems a new one, different from Thales or eX2.
The IFE is from Panasonic. Not sure whether it is eX2 or not.

http://www.lesechos.fr/entreprises-s...?xtor=RSS-2003
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: FB, Starwood
Originally Posted by orbitmic
But you clearly live in the right place!! where I live, €100k / $160k would barely buy you a parking place!
I'm guessing Monaco, enjoy the Russian invasion, and the pink Rolls in that parking spot !
Nice to be above average though!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:42 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by AF French travel agent portal
New York-JFK sera la première destination à offrir cette nouvelle expérience de voyage en cabine Business. Elle sera ensuite disponible sur HKG, NRT, PVG et ATL d´ici la fin de 2014.
JFK will be the first destination where aircraft with the new J cabin are deployed in June. Other destinations for 2014 include: HKG, NRT, PVG & ATL.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, each airline gets its own marginal elements of customisation. To me this looks most like the AA version. It is, by the way, an excellent seat.
AA and CX have almost 99% identical except the west control panel and the colour scheme.
This one is quite different and more like the QR one.
The position of the IFE apscreen, the large side locker are the main differences, along with a different arm rest layout and the curve side wall. Also there is no legrest in the AF one which is unique.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
I fully agree. Looking at the pictures, this seat has significant differences with CX, while CX and AA are fairly similar except for minute details.

Let me state my main worry.
Like most J flat beds, the seat is very narrow. I sleep on the side and my bad back requires that I bend my knees extensively to avoid back pains. On some flat beds I cannot do that as the sides prevents me to do it. On CX Cirrus I cannot do it if I lie on the side facing the aisle as the seat in front prevents it, but I can do it on the other side as there is a "hole" to put my knees. On AF version that "hole" appears to have been significantly reduced. Maybe some electrical wiring there. More likely, that the feet of the pax behind are infringing further forward than on the CX/AA seat. If that were true, it would be very bad news for my back.
But it will be years before I get a chance to verify. No way that I will book an AF flight before I am assured to get the new seat.

BTW: The design and white color looks nice, but worried how it will sustain the proof of time.
Anything will be better than the iron board on an angle?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TPJ
Not really... The first airline that introduced these seats was US Airways. Reference: my 2010 Trip Report: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-first-tr.html

CX and BR didn't even dream then about introducing these seats...
Actually CX did! They also launched it at a special event in 2010!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Note to self:
Check early 2015 if AF has the new seats on BKK-CDG, if not recheck early 2016.

I don't fly AF, LH, TG and others because old business class seats to BRU.
AC BRU-YUL in J was fine, might fly them again in 2014.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Nothing mentioned about the way they will manage to change the config. There was a short animation aired on news yesterday that is not on AF website.
I rarely bet, if at all, but would risk a sizable amount that this will never work.

Look at the seats and imagine the amount of work involved to change the configuration!

Then when would this configuration with less seats be needed? A few weeks in summer?

All this worth the trouble (if technically possible at all)? Rather than sell the seats at lower price?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:03 pm

Thank you JOUY31.

It will not be easy to know what Panasonic system is used. However, I went to their website and I found the new remote, it's the "video hanset" with an integrated screen. Interesting, I wonder how it will be put in place.

I quote the description http://www.panasonic.aero/InflightSy...omponents.aspx
"Panasonic features a 4.2-inch LCD display that offers the passengers a “second screen” at the seat for not only navigating the graphical user interface (GUI), but also for viewing media, playing games, and watching the map, all without interrupting the entertainment on the smart monitor.

The handset’s LCD capacitive touchscreen offers scrolling text display, 2D graphics and animation, as well as an automatic orientation sensor to match the handset’s display to the installed or handheld position. Additional built-in features include an onscreen keyboard for texting and emails, a phone with onscreen dialing, and a built-in credit card reader."
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by carnarvon
I rarely bet, if at all, but would risk a sizable amount that this will never work.

Look at the seats and imagine the amount of work involved to change the configuration!

Then when would this configuration with less seats be needed? A few weeks in summer?

All this worth the trouble (if technically possible at all)? Rather than sell the seats at lower price?
I really think they will do it. There was one animation showed on French news and AF named the project QuickChange (in English, of course).
They need to have something versatile and fast to be changed, otherwise they will end with a lot of operational issues.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thank you JOUY31.

It will not be easy to know what Panasonic system is used. However, I went to their website and I found the new remote, it's the "video hanset" with an integrated screen. Interesting, I wonder how it will be put in place.

I quote the description http://www.panasonic.aero/InflightSy...omponents.aspx
"Panasonic features a 4.2-inch LCD display that offers the passengers a “second screen” at the seat for not only navigating the graphical user interface (GUI), but also for viewing media, playing games, and watching the map, all without interrupting the entertainment on the smart monitor.

The handset’s LCD capacitive touchscreen offers scrolling text display, 2D graphics and animation, as well as an automatic orientation sensor to match the handset’s display to the installed or handheld position. Additional built-in features include an onscreen keyboard for texting and emails, a phone with onscreen dialing, and a built-in credit card reader."
It's the same handset and remote control that Qatar Airways uses on its 787. Quite handy, although I don't like the fact that you cannot change the volume without going through several levels of the screen menu, rather than just two buttons on the handset. I couldn't tell whether AF is exactly the same
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:20 pm

I really think they will do it. There was one animation showed on French news and AF named the project QuickChange (in English, of course).
They need to have something versatile and fast to be changed, otherwise they will end with a lot of operational issues.
Having a name for it does not solve the operational issues, does it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.