Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I crazy for even thinking about taking AF F over KE F?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Am I crazy for even thinking about taking AF F over KE F?

Hello all

Currently weighing up some options to travel Europe-ICN and one of the possibilities is KE miles which I can use either on the KE flight, or the AF codeshare.

Although I've never travelled in F on either airline yet, I'm somewhat more curious to try AF F than KE F. Some of the things going through my mind:

- Fabulous La Premiere lounge at CDG which I can only accesss on AF F, and the ground service generally - there would be nothing special about KE F ex-CDG.
- Food on AF F seems marginally better than KE F, although I think they spend more money on wine on KE
- Seat obviously much better on KE than AF, although both turn into fully flat and wide beds
- Service - KE is very slick and attentive but I find it sometimes a bit impersonal, not sure what to expect on AF

Basically, to be honest the biggest differentiator is the lounge, and if I went for AF then I will make sure I enjoy the lounge fully. I don't know of a better way of trying out the lounge because AF miles redemptions in F are just absurdly priced.

My head is shouting KE but (inexplicably) my heart says AF... Am I going crazy?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Neither is a particularly great F (KE varies a lot by bird btw). Lounge wise, AF would indeed be miles ahead, food and wine wise, KE would be clearly ahead.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

KE seat in this case would be the Kosmo Suites since I would be going on a 77W.

Theoretically I could even eat enough in the lounge for the on-board food not to matter!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
KE Kosmo suite is wider than AF sideways seats with little privacy. Importantly to me the IFE is superior with a much wider screen.
Service, wine and food is better on KE than AF.

Indeed AF F lounge in CDG is a nice lounge and a great experience if you have never done it.
But it is a lounge nevertheless and you will get bored if you stay there a couple of hours. Wines in lounge are not great (nothing like onboard KE) and food is not like a michelin-starred restaurant. Would I stuff/plaster myself before enjoying the experience of a F dinner onboard? certainly not. Would I pay an extra EUR50 to get the AF F lounge over a typical J lounge? yes. Would I pay more? no. To me a lounge is a waiting place to board before enjoying a great F experience onboard. KE F experience in Kosmo suite should be great. In AF F it depends. But if you are not used to F, both experiences will be a treat.

F awards on FB make no sense whatsoever. If you can get AF F on a KE codeshare with a reasonable amount of miles, why not try it?

Last edited by brunos; Nov 29, 2013 at 1:27 am
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks, brunos. I should probably clarify:

1. Not too fussed about IFE generally - happy to bring my own
2. I also agree with you re. lounges most of the time and stopped spending more than the minimum time required/lounge hopping - it's just that somehow, the La Premiere lounge has grabbed my attention for reasons unknown and I'm really curious about it!
3. It's only AF and KE that I haven't tried in F - I've had a number of flights in F on SQ, NH, CX, LX and LH longhauls. Maybe I should save myself the disappointment and skip KE/AF altogether?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I flew both not long ago

Tend to agree with most, AF experience at CDG is one of the best out there, the lounge is far superior to most (BA Concorde lounge for example or LX in ZRH)
In flight experience is great too except for the IFE and the seat, which are dated, however the crews and the food are far better than on KE

I flew twice KE A380, and the seat is fantastic, however the crews are quite impersonal, stiff and not very engaging, the food was just ok. I even had to request that the crew makes sure Y passengers don't come over to F-cabin during the flight to have a look.

My conclusion: If I was to fly CDG-ICN tomorrow I would pick AF
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by thierry
I flew both not long ago

Tend to agree with most, AF experience at CDG is one of the best out there, the lounge is far superior to most (BA Concorde lounge for example or LX in ZRH)
In flight experience is great too except for the IFE and the seat, which are dated, however the crews and the food are far better than on KE

I flew twice KE A380, and the seat is fantastic, however the crews are quite impersonal, stiff and not very engaging, the food was just ok. I even had to request that the crew makes sure Y passengers don't come over to F-cabin during the flight to have a look.

My conclusion: If I was to fly CDG-ICN tomorrow I would pick AF
Very much agree. But surely there are better ways to spend miles than AF F.
I am a cynic and believe the AF F experience at CDG will deteriorate quickly. I dont find the AF inflight F experience anything special. Usually empty these days (good) but that unfortunately seems to include a shocking lack of flight attendants ...

Last edited by Braniff; Dec 1, 2013 at 8:59 am
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by stargold
KE seat in this case would be the Kosmo Suites since I would be going on a 77W.

Theoretically I could even eat enough in the lounge for the on-board food not to matter!
AF flies at 13.30 and KE flies at 20.30 more or less. Over-enjoying the lounge is easier (at least to me) for AF flights leaving past 23. Even though their breakfast is very good, the most interesting food is served at lunch/dinner.

Also, make sure you can access the AF F lounge when booked on a KE coded flight operated by AF, I am not 100% sure about that.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ranskis
AF flies at 13.30 and KE flies at 20.30 more or less. Over-enjoying the lounge is easier (at least to me) for AF flights leaving past 23. Even though their breakfast is very good, the most interesting food is served at lunch/dinner.

Also, make sure you can access the AF F lounge when booked on a KE coded flight operated by AF, I am not 100% sure about that.
That is a good question.
Not obvious that you get the full service on the ground if you book as KE ticket. It will be sold as KE F
On the opposite, AF website sells La Premiere on both AF264 (operated by AF0 and AF 262 (operated by KE), so I would expect that you get the La Premiere lounge access on the KE-operated flight, meaning that you get the best of both worlds, AF La Premiere on the ground and KE F onboard.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 2, 2013 at 4:54 am
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
That is a good question. Not clear that you get the full service if you book as KE ticket. It will be sold as KE F
On the opposite, AF website sells La Premier on both AF264 (operated by AF0 and AF 262 (operated by KE), so I would expect that you get the La Premiere lounge access on the KE-operated flight, meaning that you get the ebst of both worlds, AF La Premier on the ground and KE F onboard.
I can't imagine that a KE F ticket on AF-operated lunchtime flight will be denied La Premiere lounge access, but I'll double check to make sure.

I'm fairly confident that a KE ticket on the KE evening flight would not enjoy access to the La Premiere lounge.

Re. AF flight number on the evening KE flight, I can't do that because it would be issued using KE miles and I don't think they have access to F cabin on a native AF flight number...

Thanks for the comments everyone
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Just a small bump, as the CDG-ICN on AF F is looking quite likely.

1. Where is the best place to double check that I will be entitled to access the La Premiere lounge on a KE5902 ticket in F (op. AF264)? Is there a special call centre for La Premiere bookings who might be more familiar, perhaps call the lounge itself if they have a phone number, or do I have to call the general reservations line?

2. What time is the switch-over to the lunch menu at the lounge?

3. Also, on board the flight, is it dine on demand in La Premiere or set meal times?

Thank you.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Hi Stargold,
Did you pull the trigger and already took the AF first flight or
were you able to get any confirmation on these points ?
Thanks a lot for the feedback
Eddy
Old May 10, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Braniff
I am a cynic and believe the AF F experience at CDG will deteriorate quickly.
Based on what do you think this? It's going strong for years!
Old May 10, 2014, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Zembla
Based on what do you think this? It's going strong for years!
+1. While as noted by others, the experience at outstations seems to often be underwhelming (I have not flown AF F from enough places to have a representative notion), I personally think that the AF F experience at CDG is outstanding and I really do not think that it is likely to go downhill any time soon.
Old May 10, 2014, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
+1. While as noted by others, the experience at outstations seems to often be underwhelming (I have not flown AF F from enough places to have a representative notion), I personally think that the AF F experience at CDG is outstanding and I really do not think that it is likely to go downhill any time soon.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.