Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF will not interline anymore across reservations?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Do yourself a favour - fly HAM-AMS-NTE on a single ticket!!
Nah. That would a sensible advice if I did not need segments.

Last edited by carnarvon; Sep 28, 2016 at 9:46 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Hi everyone,

What is the degree of certainty with this configuration? Anyone else has the same positive experience as Goldorak?

I am thinking of flying HAM/CDG(AMS)/LYS on one AF ticket and LYS/NTE with another AF ticket and would like to have my luggage checked through to NTE.
AF to AF/A5 is really not an issue, but of course it would be nice to have more experiences reported here.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Dear Carnavon, I second Irishguy28 that is might be a poor idea to do this segment run with checked luggage. Even if you can get the HAM guys to check your bag through to NTE, there is a risk that it will desire some little tour on its own and get separated from you.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by brunos
Dear Carnavon, I second Irishguy28 that is might be a poor idea to do this segment run with checked luggage. Even if you can get the HAM guys to check your bag through to NTE, there is a risk that it will desire some little tour on its own and get separated from you.
Hi,

This not really a segment run, but more an opportunity to add 2 segments at little or no cost, because LYS/HAM tickets are surprisingly cheap. I am actually going to HAM with a purpose other than gaining segments ! When doing a segment run, I indeed carry hand luggage only.

I would never try that if connecting to a LH flight, but a LYS/NTE sounds OK to me.

Regarding the luggage, LYS is a small airport and I believe I could talk with staff to check on things.

What I would like to hear about are the actual experiences of people who have done a similar thing, such as Goldorak who recently did it from DUS, so I can estimate the risk with more précision, because I agree with irishguy28 and you that there is a risk.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
AF to AF/A5 is really not an issue, but of course it would be nice to have more experiences reported here.
It looks like no one other than you has had such experience.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: FB Gold
It looks like no one other than you has had such experience.
I'm not sure if this is of any help: I had an AF/SV connection earlier this year on two separate tickets (ZRH-CDG; CDG-RUH-MNL). Staff at ZRH wouldn't interline at all. Maybe this was due to lack of experience and lack of a supervisor on duty the night before the flight (at ZRH one can check-in bags the night before the flight, especially for early departures). So I had to re-check at CDG which was OK, just a bit of a hassle schlepping bags from 2F to 2C...

On the way back, SV staff in MNL did not only interline, they also issued all of my boarding passes for MNL-JED-CDG-BSL. However, the bags got lost in CDG but were delivered home the next day.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:13 am

Dear Carnavon(...) Even if you can get the HAM guys to check your bag through to NTE, there is a risk that it will desire some little tour on its own and get separated from you.
According to the lady at the Plat Line, it should not be a problem with 2 AF tickets.

Arriving at 14h05 and leaving at 16h10 means I should be fine even if I cannot check through.

And if the plane is delayed, 2 hours gives a bit of buffer.

And if very delayed, then so be it!

I will try it and report.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
If your first AF flight is delayed and you miss the second AF flight, AF should put you on their first available flight otherwise you can go after them by regard to the Montreal convention. The airline is liable for damage due to delay, unless it can prove that it took all reasonable measures to avoid the damage. Here, a reasonable measure is to put the passenger on their next flight, as long as there is enough time between both flights ( = it respects the Minimum Connecting Time).
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by ranskis
If your first AF flight is delayed and you miss the second AF flight, AF should put you on their first available flight otherwise you can go after them by regard to the Montreal convention. The airline is liable for damage due to delay, unless it can prove that it took all reasonable measures to avoid the damage. Here, a reasonable measure is to put the passenger on their next flight, as long as there is enough time between both flights ( = it respects the Minimum Connecting Time).
Thank you.

I hope I won't need this advice, but it is a good way to look at the issue.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ranskis
They will possibly do it as a gesture for a platinum member, but they have no obligation at all on separate tickets.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:03 am

They will possibly do it as a gesture for a platinum member, but they have no obligation at all on separate tickets.
That is true. But it would save them the possibility that I ask for damages because of the flight delay.

However, it would require talking with someone with decision power and some sense of what a win win arrangement is. This kind of people is rare and most would simply leave it to the litigation department (that is to say too late to arrange another flight) rather that make an on the spot decision.

It would be an argument in the conversation though....

But, I will NOT be late.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:41 am

Update

First of all, I want to say that checking the luggage to final destination with two separate AF tickets was no issue at all (same as you from DUS) : HAM/CDG/LYS with one one ticket and LYS/NTE with the other.

Then, my flight out of HAM was delayed so much that I missed the CDG/LYS.

They automatically rebooked me to a later flight, but once I pointed out my LYS/NTE which I was going to miss as a result, they agreed to fly us direct from CDG to NTE instead of via LYS.

I understood that irrop + Plat was behind their accommodating attitude.

Kudos to AF on this one! ^
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
First of all, I want to say that checking the luggage to final destination with two separate AF tickets was no issue at all (same as you from DUS) : HAM/CDG/LYS with one one ticket and LYS/NTE with the other.

They automatically rebooked me to a later flight, but once I pointed out my LYS/NTE which I was going to miss as a result, they agreed to fly us direct from CDG to NTE instead of via LYS.

So, what happened to your checked bags?
And will they credit the two segments that you have not flown?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:26 am

So, what happened to your checked bags?
And will they credit the two segments that you have not flown?
The bags made it to NTE with the same plane as us. ^

In fact, there had been two new labels affixed on top of each other onto the luggage tags.

The first label was for the later CDG/LYS subsequently cancelled and over it the 2nd new label for the CDG/NTE.

Regarding the segments, it is too soon to tell. I expect only CDG/NTE will show, in which case retroclaimimg should not be an issue.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Excellent ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.