Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF will not interline anymore across reservations?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by CHK897
Hi guys,
I'm planning the Europe trip for the next year. Would it be possible to check the baggage on different ticket(different PNR) like this case?
1. BCN - CDG on AF 1449 arrive CDG at 8.40
2. CDG - BOM - BKK ; 9W 125 leave CDG 10.50; 2.10 H lay over in CDG (9W code but it's operated by Air France)

Will my bag be checked all the way to BKK?

Thanks a bunch.
See rest of the thread: it is certainly technically possible but they are very likely to say no. Expect to need to pick up the bags but ask anyway and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ps: we are assuming you bought a bcn-cdg that allows checked baggage in the first place? Not all fares do.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:53 pm

Thank you for your reply. First of all, I have to pay extra dollars for baggage fee...
What do you think about receiving a bag and checking in again in 2 hours? Is it OK practically?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thank you for your reply. First of all, I have to pay extra dollars for baggage fee...
What do you think about receiving a bag and checking in again in 2 hours? Is it OK practically?
Personally, I find it a bit risky. Planes can be late (although this time of day is usually ok unless weather is bad), and luggage delivery at CDG can be excruciatingly slow at times. I'd consider 2 hours without luggage but with checked luggage I'd personally leave at least 3 hours.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:34 pm

Thanks so much orbitmic. May be I have to spend the last night of the trip in Paris
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Thanks so much orbitmic. May be I have to spend the last night of the trip in Paris
when connecting from one ticket onto another, it is always best to leave as much time as possible between the tickets so that delays or unplanned disruptions do not suddenly make your journey impossible.

Because you have chosen to travel on separate tickets, neither of the airlines involved are in any way required to offer assistance if you should end up not making your connection. The biggest advantage of buying travel all on one ticket is that the airline would then be responsible for rebooking/rerouting you - but when you choose to buy two tickets, you are taking on the entire responsibility and cost of arranging replacement travel should your plans not work out.

If your bag was delayed, or lost, would you be prepared to walk away at CDG and not retrieve it/report it missing [this can take some time] in order to catch your onward separate flight - or would you stay to sort out the luggage, and then either abandon your further travel plans, or buy a ticket for the next available departure that day, which could potentially cost you several times what you had paid for your missed flight?

Remember also that, when you miss any part of either of your tickets, all remaining flights on that ticket are also cancelled.

Personally, I always make sure, when I am connecting on separate tickets, that I get to the departure point of any long-haul ticket the day or night before the flight is due to depart.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
(...) Personally, I always make sure, when I am connecting on separate tickets, that I get to the departure point of any long-haul ticket the day or night before the flight is due to depart.
+1
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Report:

My partner was flying KL DPS-SIN in J and AF SIN-CDG-ATL in PE on separate tickets with a 1:05 connection at SIN. We were taking quite a risk, and getting the baggage interlined was of course essential.

Everything went off without a hitch. At DPS, the KL (undoutedly contract from GA) agent not only interlined his bag but checked him in for the AF flights and issued boarding passes. Connection at SIN was fine, though no time for the lounge. Bags showed up in ATL.

I was stressed out about it, and wouldn't have done it if it could have been avoided. And I tried to do it on a single ticket, but getting J to DPS forced the whole ticket to J and spiked the price by $5000. In the end, it all worked out fine.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I thought you would be interested about this thread started today in the DL forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ry-2016-a.html
What a shame that their new policy do not even include at least all Skyteam airlines. Shame on you DL
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I had two separate reservations (AF CDG-JFK, DL JFK-SDQ) last month. In the past, I've never had any issues asking AF to check my bag through, but this last time the agent refused. I tried to explain to her several times that this was not an issue 4 times in the last 12 months, but she didn't seem to care at all. Fortunately, no one was checking bags at the DL connections desk in JFK T1 and the agent quickly printed the DL tag.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I had two separate reservations (AF CDG-JFK, DL JFK-SDQ) last month. In the past, I've never had any issues asking AF to check my bag through, but this last time the agent refused. I tried to explain to her several times that this was not an issue 4 times in the last 12 months, but she didn't seem to care at all. Fortunately, no one was checking bags at the DL connections desk in JFK T1 and the agent quickly printed the DL tag.
Very bad indeed, even if in your case the inconvenience was minor because of the mandatory need to collect bags in JFK and re-check.
And this goes against their official policy with DL as reminded in september in AgentConnect (AF/KL travel agent portal)

AF/KL/DL/A5 : Enregistrement de bout en bout

18/09/2015

L'enregistrement de bout en bout (EBB) est un service qui vise à faciliter la correspondance. Les clients et leurs bagages sont enregistrés depuis l'escale d'origine jusqu'à la destination finale.

Il est interdit d'enregistrer un client et/ou son bagage jusqu'à l'escale de correspondance sauf si les conditions de son billet le permettent.

Les clients en correspondance avec un changement d'aéroport ou en prépost-acheminement sur le train (TGV AIR ou AIR&RAIL) devront assurer eux-mêmes le transfert de leur bagages.

Clients en possession d'un seul contrat de transport :
En cas de correspondance entre des vols AF/KL/DL et A5 l'enregistrement de bout en bout est systématiquement appliqué.
Toutes les cartes d'embarquement nécessaires seront éditées et remises au client.

Clients en possession de contrats de transport séparés :
L'enregistrement de bout en bout ne s'applique pas aux clients munis de billets séparés.

Une exception est néanmoins admise en cas de correspondance AF/KL/DL/A5, à condition que le temps de correspondance minimum publié (MCT) soit respecté.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Very bad indeed, even if in your case the inconvenience was minor because of the mandatory need to collect bags in JFK and re-check.
And this goes against their official policy with DL as reminded in september in AgentConnect (AF/KL travel agent portal)
I wonder what is the MCT given by the system for International to Domestic. I have read 1h45 but it seems that DL applies even longer MCT. That could be the reason for not granting an exception in the OP case.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by brunos
I wonder what is the MCT given by the system for International to Domestic. I have read 1h45 but it seems that DL applies even longer MCT. That could be the reason for not granting an exception in the OP case.
Possible and also knowing that this connection involved a landside transfert from T1 to T4 in JFK.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Possible and also knowing that this connection involved a landside transfert from T1 to T4 in JFK.
MCT at JFK T1-T4 is 2 hours. AF6 arrived at 16h15 and connecting flight departed at 19h09, so way over the MCT. I have the same connectiong next month, although this will be all in a single ticket. The agent (who was very rude from the beginning) didn't bother to look at the DL ticket so MCT was not the problem; she just said that in the past it worked because everything was in a single ticket and that since long time ago AF doesn't do it.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Again, I am really amazed to see how agents are poorly trained to perform such simple actions on the Departure Control System that AF is using, Amadeus Altea DCS.
If you want to figure it out, just look at page 110 (labeled 103) of the following training PDF made for Garuda Indonesia (available on Google if you search well)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by olivedel
Again, I am really amazed to see how agents are poorly trained to perform such simple actions on the Departure Control System that AF is using, Amadeus Altea DCS.
If you want to figure it out, just look at page 110 (labeled 103) of the following training PDF made for Garuda Indonesia (available on Google if you search well)
Indeed, it takes less than a minute to do it by a properly trained agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.